cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dash air vs generator

racechaser
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this has been beat to death but, is it more efficient to run the dash air or to run the generator and one roof air.This is on a gas Ford v-10 and a 7000w Onan. Thanks for any input.
2003 F-250 PSD with Hypertech Power Tuning
2010 Jayco Eagle
Twin Honda 2000's generators
40 REPLIES 40

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
When I owned a gas coach it made very little difference if I ran the dash air or not. Always averaged 6 MPG no matter what. Several times I switched to the house air to see if mileage was better. I was not but I used another gallon of fuel every 70 miles running the gen while I traveled. So for me the dash air used less fuel than using the house air overall. I normally used the dash air because it did a good job and I a wanted more range.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
whatever keeps you cool, I have found that my dash ac is worthless I just run the generator and roof ac's and since I have gone to residential on the fridge every thing and everybody stays cold!

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
If that hot I put up the curtain behind the seats and the dash does a great job with just the cab area to cool

Someone mentioned maintenance cost for the generator to run the a/c The onan in my DP has 3400+ hours on it and so far has never failed. It get serviced once a year just like the DP. I run the basement a/c going down the road as well.

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
I am not an expert, but I would think that no one gets less than 5 miles to the gallon with the their generator running and no one gets greater than 8 miles to the gallon with their class A. On average, if most expect to get between 6-7 miles to the gallon with the generator running, you might as well turn those roof top AC's to max, your dash AC to max, and hang some meat. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mark

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to consider is the maintenance costs for the generator, not just the fuel consumption. However, just be comfortable whatever it takes. If you have to pinch pennies that much, you can't afford a motorhome- period!

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
I run the dash ac on max cool mode and adjust the fan speed accordingly.
I will next start the genie, and when it comes online, switch the roof ac "fan" from auto speed mode to high and set the roof ac stat to 70.
If needed, I repeat step #2 for the rear roof ac. Keeps the process simple and efficient as you are cool and your giving the genie a workout which always preferred over letting it sit.

Works every time. Fuel consumption between 1/2-3/4 GPH. BTW, you have a rv fridge, the genie also lets you run it on ac instead of lp.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
This has been discussed previously. I think it was decided that it is a little more economical to run the generator and roof A/C.

But don't quote me on it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Run whatever it takes to keep you comfortable. In the big picture the extra fuel consumption is minimal.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
For my configuration it's a wash on fuel consumption while the roof air wins in over all cooling capacity. Normally I'll run the dash air as long as I can before bringing the generator on line.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
My dash air can typically keep up with the two front seats, but in this heat lately through that big windshield I've had to kick on the gen and use the roof airs. I don't think roof air would do much for the cab without the cab air running with it.

I would like to say I run all 3 on the roof, but to date I've yet to get all 3 to work at the same time since we bought it a few months ago ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
We do whatever is required to be comfortable. If the dash air does it that's all we have on. If it is 100 plus degrees we will probably have everything going. If I really needed to know what was the most economical I would not be traveling in a motor home.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler