cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dash air

lfeather
Explorer
Explorer
My Dash air hasn't been very cold lately so I tried servicing it with 134a freon that I bought at Walmart with gage. The initial pressure reading was below 10 psi at 75* ambient. The gage says I should see between 35-45psi. I put in one 12oz can of leak stop freon and several 12oz cans of 134a freon. When the gage got up to about 35 psi, the compressor clutch would intermittently stop and start and would sometimes make a screeching noise like metal on metal for a couple of seconds or so, while turning slow, then turn off/on, for a few times, then start turning at regular speed. Then start this process all over again. I thought maybe there was too much pressure or something, (inaccurate gage?) so I released the pressure down to 25 psi and the compressor clutch stopped doing this and the dash air is now cold. Does anyone know if too much pressure can cause the compressor to do this? Thanks for any suggestions.

Larry
Larry, Debbie & Max the Pug
USAF Retired
2014 Itasca Reyo P
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i 6 speed manual transmission
14 REPLIES 14

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
LMAO @ Doug!!!

Hoping the Freon police have gone to bed?

Too much "refrigerant", to use the "PC term" will cause the system to behave as you said.

Just the right amount will cause the compressor to switch on and off regularly and the dash to blow cold air.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

hardint
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing every post on this forum where someone ask a question to educate themselves they get flogged about it's legality in the first response,If you are so UN happy in this Great free Nation , Please leave it and go where you are scrutinized all the time by The Government and be happy, don't destroy the USA ......

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. Too MUCH coolant will not cause metal on metal noise
2. Too MUCH coolant(hi side to much pressure) can cause the belt to slip on the pulley and cause a rubber screech noise .
3. You do NOT look at the low side pressure when filling a system. You want the HI side pressure which is a better indicator. You look at the Low side as a "help" to get the complete picture when charging.
4. I HOPE that you made an error when you said Freon Leak charge--you meant 134a leak charge. Doug

PS. AS everyone knows, the EPA has thousands of enforcers traveling the country looking for people that vent Freon 12/134a in to the atmosphere. They watch websites such as this and will make a visit once someone posts they vented to the atmosphere:W

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
as a auto shop owner that does lots of ac work you had to much Freon in rv you cant go by pressure because there are to many variables to much and not enough Freon will cause performace problems and possibly big expences my advice to you would be go to a pro. and have them put the right amount in could not cost more than 150 dollars well worth it

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/faq.html

READ, 1 , 2, and make sure you read #3

I know of no way to take a hose off with out loosing some gas. Even with Q connector there is a hiss. I just did a refresher course and this question was on the test.

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
gatorcq wrote:
R134A is not the same. Please be a little more careful in your statements.

http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/title6/608/608fact.html

Well, I guess I am confused as to how HFC-134A is not the same as R134A. Everything I read says they are the same.

Please explain the difference.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
deleted. Duplicate post.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
By the way R-134A is not classified as CFCs or HCFC.

On my Class A, it takes 3 lbs to go from zero fill to fully charged.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

lfeather
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
For a system that is cooling but not well one can of Freon should be enough. Several more cans was way too many cans of Freon.

Ivylog, I was trying to reach the recommended pressure of 35-45 psi and couldn't get past 25 psi until after several cans.

Larry
Larry, Debbie & Max the Pug
USAF Retired
2014 Itasca Reyo P
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i 6 speed manual transmission

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
R134A is not the same. Please be a little more careful in your statements.

http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/title6/608/608fact.html

The Prohibition on Venting
Effective July 1, 1992, Section 608 of the Act prohibits individuals from intentionally venting ozone-depleting substances used as refrigerants (generally CFCs and HCFCs) into the atmosphere while maintaining, servicing, repairing, or disposing of air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment (appliances). Only four types of releases are permitted under the prohibition:

"De minimis" quantities of refrigerant released in the course of making good faith attempts to recapture and recycle or safely dispose of refrigerant.

Refrigerants emitted in the course of normal operation of air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment (as opposed to during the maintenance, servicing, repair, or disposal of this equipment) such as from mechanical purging and leaks. However, EPA requires the repair of leaks above a certain size in large equipment (see Refrigerant Leaks).
Releases of CFCs or HCFCs that are not used as refrigerants. For instance, mixtures of nitrogen and R-22 that are used as holding charges or as leak test gases may be released.

Small releases of refrigerant that result from purging hoses or from connecting or disconnecting hoses to charge or service appliances will not be considered violations of the prohibition on venting.

However, recovery and recycling equipment manufactured after November 15, 1993, must be equipped with low-loss fittings.

Thank you and have a nice day, by the way IMO too much freon should not cause Metal to Metal sound.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Larry,
First off, you just did something illegal that you could be fined for. You cannot release any kind of freon, including 134a into the atmosphere. It must be captured.

Why then are AirSoft guns allowed to use 134A as a propellant? Some spray cans do similar.

Air Soft Gas

I suspect the rules you quote are for discharge of 134a into the atmosphere by shops who discharged the gas in high volumes and charging for the service, not the one-off vehicle owner.

Golly-Gee, if I lose 134A due to a leak, am I going to pay a fine or go to jail?

Or.....is a leak OK but disharge is not? Help me understand the jeopardy we are all in.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
For a system that is cooling but not well one can of Freon should be enough. Several more cans was way too many cans of Freon.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sound like you got a liquid lock, If you turn the can upside down or on its side it will put in liquid and on the low side that is a no-no.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Larry,
First off, you just did something illegal that you could be fined for. You cannot release any kind of freon, including 134a into the atmosphere. It must be captured.

The compressor will not work properly on too high a pressure. I'm not sure exactly how it acts when the pressure is too high.

Next time, you should go to a repair shop where they will perform the work properly and legally.