cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
I have a coachman Freelander 32 BH 2011 model. The left corner of the front area above the driver seat (bunk bed) as shown in the picture has splitten up and is spreading. How should I repair it? Any suggestions?RV Pic
14 REPLIES 14

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I think that "old beater" is actually a 32 1/2' 4 year old MH. 😉
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly it depends on how good the rest of the rig is. From your picture, your RV looks like an old beater like mine.

For me, it would not be worth the money to rip open the cab and rebuild it. I'd probably slap some Eternabond over it and call it good.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am no expert on this, but if water got inside limitedly and you are able to dry everything out well, then I would drill a hole at each end of the crack to prevent it from growing, then fiberglass over it, then add a nice creative piece of trim of some sort across the entire front to hide the patch work so the rig looks nice again.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the front/bottom of the cabover canteliever, right? Not the part next to the roof?

If so, assuming the construction is similar to my '98 Coachmen, you can get access to the other side comparatively easily by popping a few fabric buttons off the lower buckboard sort of panel between the bunk area and the front wall/ceiling of the cabover, and then removing the screws underneath the buttons. This buckboard then comes off. Underneath is probably some fiberglass and a sort of wooden cage framework, with the Filon and some thin plywood or something (which may have decomposed) backing it.

I've attempted to repair a couple of (smaller) cracks in mine by epoxying a couple layers of fiberglass cloth to the back of the Filon. In this case it looks like the crack extends all the way to the edge, so you'd probably need to remove the aluminum corner moulding channel and the edge seam underneath the bunk to get access to the back. I filled the front of the crack on mine with thickened epoxy (with a white collodion filler), which kind of sort of blends in if one doesn't scrutinize super closely. I still need to sand things a bit smoother. It does look like it will work for me, at least for awhile. Time will tell.

I also didn't like the cage-like framework Coachmen used, and constructed a replacement frame more akin to barrel staves—a bunch of thin slats butted together over a set of plywood formers, sort of like a wooden boat construction. I put a layer of fiberglass on the front and back of this to tie the slats together. It was a good bit of work to construct, but the result is sturdy but lightweight. (It's not the prettiest construction, but that's OK since it's hidden.)

If the crack has been around for awhile, there's a good chance of at least a little rot etc. to take care of. Hopefully the angle is such that not much water tends to get in and collect.

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
Currently I am out of town,will return on Sunday and take more pictures and will post it.I am wondering how does this happen.My RV is parked on my driveway for last several months and I just noticed this few weeks ago.No hit or accident.Can this happen just being parked for several months.I have only 15 thousand miles on it and it is 2011 model.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Put up a couple more pics. and we can give better advice. I would worry that there is water damage underneath.

Yes you can sand down, feather edges, repair with fiberglass and re-paint. I don't know how good you are with that stuff but you need to have decent skills.

If there is damage that says rebuild, that could range from $8K to $10K. At least that is the estimate I heard when I asked about cost to rebuild the cabover on mine.

Jose

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I am not assuming anything, but a sort of close look at the pic, to me suggests that this rip isn't new. In fact, by the look of the trim on the side, it maybe hasn't had much tlc in the past. Did you just buy this rig? Not that it really matters, but that pic looks some ugly to me and just putting some tape over it and sanding and painting isn't going to make this whole again.

Could you fix it? Sure, as has been observed, if you have a place to do it and the skills. That skin has to come off right to the seam on the roof and then all the way under the cab. You'll need to address any wood rot, as I had mentioned. That means tearing out and replacing and damaged wood and insulation. Plus, if there is any rot under the skin, I'd bet that it is in the inside as well, in the bunk area. If you don't do this yourself then it's an RV shop then you are talking a whole bunch of money.

If you can find a handyman that knows woodworking to help you? That's be a good way to consider going. It's not rocket science, but if you don't do it right, that will just fall apart.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to use Marine Tex. I is white already. Apply after sanding/prep. then use a ridgid plastic film taped over it to contour and shape. Remove the plastic when cured and sanding/shaping will be minimal

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
can a piece of thin fiberglass be put on over that area using epoxy or similar? Probably won't look worse than slapping fiberglass cloth/resin on it.
bumpy

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one online source for filon. The shipping cost is fairly expensive. Perhaps a cheaper option would be buying the material from a local RV shop.
Whether you can do it or not depends on how handy you are. It's a pretty straight forward process, once you get into it. The extent of the repair is going to depend on how much damage has been done by that open wound in the cabover. How long has it been cracked ?
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
bill257 wrote:
How much it cost.Can I do it myself.

Do a search on here. Not to far back someone had pictures of rebuilding the whole front top cap section.
Maybe someone will chime in here about it ?

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I think you might be able to get by with a fiberglass repair instead of rebuilding the cabover. It depends on if you find rot in the cabover behind the split or even at the bottom where water may have found its way.
Our RV came with a repair on the edge of the fiberglass roof that seems to have been done well. I believe it is done with fiberglass and resin and then sanded down.
Or you might try using Eternabond roof tape for a bit uglier but still waterproof seal.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

bill257
Explorer
Explorer
How much it cost.Can I do it myself.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to have that entire sheet taken off and replaced with a new one. Sooner the better. You may have some wood rot/damage that will need to be attended to, as well. In the meantime, get a strip or three of duct tape on there just to block further water.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/