Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dash Heat/Air Conditioning

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
SO here's my situation:

When we purchased our coach, the previous owners pointed out that the dash A/C and Heat worked either/or. In other words, there is a quarter-turn valve under the hood that in one position you get heat and in the other you get A/C. Apparently, they had a problem on a trip and an RV service center installed the quarter-turn valve to get them through the trip. BUT, they never had it repaired properly and were not really mechanically inclined enough to want to. So, in order to have heat, the valve must be turned on to allow hot water to enter the heater core. And to have A/C, the valve must be turned off to bypass the heater core. That really sucks, especially if the travel day starts off cool in the morning and the afternoon sun warms up enough to warrant A/C.

Soooo.... not being intimately familiar with the Triton V10 HVAC setup, who can help me find the proper part and process to fix this to original status? Or at least get me somewhere close?
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
9 REPLIES 9

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Krusty wrote:
Not likely that this part will be available from a Ford dealer, as these HVAC controls are aftermarket add-ons by the body builder.

blawless wrote:
99 % of the gas MH with the Ford V10, are HVAC controls supplied by Evans Tempcon. Here is the link to their web site. http://www.evanstempcon.com/serviceparts.php They have photos of the different systems they provide for easy identification.

B.

Thanks - I checked out the site and I have the manual cable controlled valve.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my Evans Tempcon electronic control with a manual system. A new controller was too costly for me. I got a water temperature control valve for an older Ford truck that was cable operated. I then modified the temperature control panel for the cable operator. I got that from a truck parts supplier. That part was from a delivery truck. It works for me and the electronic control will not fail again. The only drawback is that the knob does not go to the full hot position. I plan to do some adjusting and modifying of the arm then it will go from full cold to full hot on the scale. As it is now it does go full closed to full hot. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

blawless
Explorer
Explorer
99 % of the gas MH with the Ford V10, are HVAC controls supplied by Evans Tempcon. Here is the link to their web site. http://www.evanstempcon.com/serviceparts.php They have photos of the different systems they provide for easy identification.

B.
Retired and enjoying it!

2005 Coachmen Aurora 3380 MBS Class A F53 V10 Banks Power System.
2014 Jeep Compass Toad
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 255B 5th wheel
2003 F150 King Ranch Supercrew 4X4

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Not likely that this part will be available from a Ford dealer, as these HVAC controls are aftermarket add-ons by the body builder.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The electric/motor activated OEM valves are bad about not shutting the hot water off completely degrading the AC's output. The 12V solenoid valve I referenced in my post above is rated 120 psi, more than enough to shut the water off completely. It is a NC (normally closed) valve and is what I would recommend.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
The part should be available from Ford or a salvage yard. I have a 2000 Hurricane on a 1999 F53 chassis with the v-10. I can send pictures.

You probably have some information I need. I am trying to locate where the IAT sensor terminates in the wiring harness. Mice chewed the wire and I have about 6" of the cable danging from the air filter IAT sensor.

Thanks! I'll look under the hood and see if I can get a picture or at least an answer to your question.

And were you saying that the electric valve referenced does NOT close completely?
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Using such a valve to shut off the hot water is an excellent way to get your AC to work better over the original ones that tend to let some hot water pass. I'd replace the quarter turn valve with something like this valve and mount a switch inside to control the valve by applying 12V to open it when you need heat.

I have found that my dash control will not completely shutoff the valve, thus allowing heated water to bypass while running the AC.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Using such a valve to shut off the hot water is an excellent way to get your AC to work better over the original ones that tend to let some hot water pass. I'd replace the quarter turn valve with something like this valve and mount a switch inside to control the valve by applying 12V to open it when you need heat.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
The part should be available from Ford or a salvage yard. I have a 2000 Hurricane on a 1999 F53 chassis with the v-10. I can send pictures.

You probably have some information I need. I am trying to locate where the IAT sensor terminates in the wiring harness. Mice chewed the wire and I have about 6" of the cable danging from the air filter IAT sensor.