cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Day Brother's RV gauntlet and our happy landing elsewhere...

bronccat
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All

If the below rant isn't appropriate for the forum, I understand. I just hope to help someone else avoid the pain we went through.

See below for the highlights of our horrible experience with Day Brother's RV in London, KY (aka kyboyrvs ebay) when trying to purchase a 2002 HR Ambassador. We ended up buying a WONDERFUL 2006 Knight 38PDQ from Davis Motor Home Mart in Memphis - couldn't be happier with them.

We initially verbally contracted for this coach on 8/22 at the dealership. They had to repair a leaking head gasket and we were going to be gone so we weren't in a hurry.

The 2+ months that followed were a testament to horrible communication plus misinformation, ridiculous delays, epic disorganization and finally, outright lies.

Sparing you the ridiculousness of the communications between 8/22 and 10/26 - here is where we ended up....

10/27 Daniel (salesman) calls says coach is ready, offers to take it to Hazard for me for Cummins to inspect (I had scheduled this). I email him say that would be great: I could then make on trip to sign papers, test drive, close (still need to wee warranty info and final numbers at this point - have requested both around 10 times each). Daniel calls me, chuckles under his breath, says he won't take coach because I have never signed anything - "I don't have any reason to take it". This after we had made multiple trips, multiple attempts to sign something, they had approved our credit (now twice due to their delays in making repairs) and we had been working on this deal for over two months.

10/29 Drive to London with my daughter. Upon arrival Daniel says "he's getting it ready for you". We go to coach, guy inside says I'm ready to go. I sit down to start the coach then decide to go back in to tell Daniel we're leaving. I come back and decide I better check the doors. THE COACH IS STILL PLUGGED TO THE BUILDING. We drive to Hazard, coach is struggling mightily. The known dash A/C issue isn't fixed. GPS takes me off parkway at first Hazard exit and up over the mountain on the old road. Coach won't pull the hills, down to 10 mph. Shuddering bad. Guy behind me is blowing, flashing lights. I pull into a church lot and he says I am dumping fuel. I decide to limp down the hill to the Cummins dealer - didn't know how bad it was or I would have left it there. Get to Cummins, open hatch with Scott the service manager and the whole bay is soaked with fuel. He made me realize we could have been close to having a fire. Tech looks at engine, it's a mess. Insulators and brackets are missing from injector lines, one line had come completely loose, others were rubbing on metal - just a matter of time before more leaks. Ran scan, 250 instances (maxed out) injector pump "code of death" said needs new pump for sure. Been sending code for 120 hours. Another tech looks at engine and discovers that several bolts were missing from the radiator and that the tabs would soon break and it would fall out. I texted Daniel when the leak was discovered, he said "OK". I texted him when we found out about the injector pump he said "well". He left before we even made it back to the dealership (got back before close of business). Coach limped all the way home, very stressful trip plus wasted money on the inspection.

10/29 emailed Daniel that I was done with the coach and asked about 2006 Neptune. Yes I should have run away at this point but they had already run our credit twice and I didn't want to start over with another dealer.

10/30 Daniel calls. Doesn't really even apologize, just says "yeah that thing's going to auction (again laughing under his breath)" and the starts trying to sell me the Neptune and mentions a Georgie Boy. Says he'll get xxxxx to get payment on Neptune and call me back that afternoon. I said ok I'll email her also. We'll come down tomorrow. Never heard back that day. I also texted Daniel and asked for pictures of trailing arms and asked about the Fleetwood 39L. I sent a message confirming we were good for Saturday.

10/31 Daniel texted says he's going to be late but since we had to drive 2 hours, I figured we were OK. Arrive at dealership, Zach says Daniel not coming in (never was), how can I help. Discover lots of undisclosed damage on Neptune (like major active leaks), 39L looked like someone was living in it and trashed it

On 11/1 at the request of Zach I sent a VERY detailed account of our experience via email so he could share it with the owner.
Other than being contacted by Daniel twice about other units (unbelievable) we have never heard from the dealership.

I made it very clear that at very least I wanted to be reimbursed for my inspection fee as the coach was never going to be ready to sell and Daniel would have known that had he driven it prior to sending me and my daughter down the road in it.
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree, You need to find a new dealer.

you also need to send your original post in this thread, along with copies of all communications betwen you and Daniel, to your state's department of motor vehicles.. Sounds to me like THEY need to buy a coach from Daniel, and then pay him with some free room and board under the anti-fraud laws.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ringer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the warning to others...glad things worked out for you. You bought your Knight from a top notch organization IMO.
2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
2008 Saturn Vue

bronccat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks, y'all said all I needed to say and more. Appreciate it.

Soren is correct, their old moniker on Ebay (best I can tell) was "kyboysrv"

Amazingly Daniel continues to contact me and try to sell me a coach.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
The seller is very active on ebay, and has a long, less that stellar history when it comes to RV sales. The OP took the time to give their experience so that, hopefully, other members here can avoid getting screwed over. I have looked at many of their listings over the years, and they are real good at presentation, and well written descriptions. I have also read previous horror stories of customers getting screwed, so I know to avoid the actual town they do business in, since they apparently do business under several names, and to avoid the name.

EDIT: This post was edited by the admin. possibly to remove a quote from a previous poster? Further editing was required so that my comment would be logical. Specifically I was addressing a post (now removed) that was an ugly comment, accusing the OP of a needless rant.
Would be nice if the admin. would take a bit of effort to not leave a thread full of confusing responses to missing information.

shutdown
Explorer
Explorer
usually multiple 'pulls' of credit in a short amount of time will NOT hurt your credit so long as all of those pulls result in ONE purchase. As another option find out what bank he was working with. The BANK is the one who approves your loan NOT the dealership, that bank likely works with many dealerships. You can take your loan (approval) with you.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Did you post your experience on RV Service Reviews. You may save someone problems and grief.

bronccat
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely

We are very pleased with where we ended up and the got we bought. It was a HUGE blessing in disguise that they were so inept...

I am still getting condolence texts from the one good egg I met down there (Zach)

Travelr
Explorer
Explorer
Wow.. time to move on for sure to someone who appreciates your business.
Ken Cash