cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Day/Night shades

just4mrg
Explorer
Explorer
Have a set of Day/Night shades where the vertical cords, left and right, have come loosened and the shades fall right down. Looks like a simple matter at the bottom, but I remember a thread on this where they were actually tricky and not as easy as they looked. Just don't want to make them any worse. Thanks in advance.
Karen and Gary (Mr. Cooper as well)
2010 Jayco Melbourne 29d
2011 Jeep Liberty in tow
14 REPLIES 14

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
just4mrg,

Based on your comments, it sounds like you only need a new bottom post. Replace it or jury-rig it and you are good to go.

The bottom posts on our rig, we bumped a few of them such that they ripped out from the wall. Just use a common spreading wall anchor to reattach it if that happens to you. Make sure the anchor you purchase is meant for your wall board thickness which is most likely 1/8" thick....the one on the far right.

There are other types as well, this being one example.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
just4mrg wrote:
Thanks again guys. The culprit here is a broken spool, or hub, at the bottom where the strings attach. The spool cracked and the take up string unwound. I was able to take up the slack by loosening the spool and pulling strings tight and retightening the spool on top of the strings. This is just temporary however. Blinds stay up now. I see what you are all saying. I am fairly handy, but would not attempt to restring myself. Just do not have the patience. Again, thank you all.

Replace the cracked spool with a metal sewing machine bobbin. They are very inexpensive, and will last forever.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

duffy
Explorer
Explorer
We sent all of our shades to Specialty Window Coverings in Indiana and had them restring them for $35 each. Saved us a lot of aggravation, and they were done perfectly.
26' RSB Born Free Class C

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you found the problem and were able to fix it. The first one is always the most difficult to restring.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMO the best fix for day/night shades is to replace them with MCD shades. Much easier to use, and much better controlling the light.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

just4mrg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again guys. The culprit here is a broken spool, or hub, at the bottom where the strings attach. The spool cracked and the take up string unwound. I was able to take up the slack by loosening the spool and pulling strings tight and retightening the spool on top of the strings. This is just temporary however. Blinds stay up now. I see what you are all saying. I am fairly handy, but would not attempt to restring myself. Just do not have the patience. Again, thank you all.
2010 Jayco Melbourne 29d
2011 Jeep Liberty in tow

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Try tightening cords equally at the bottom, not too tight.
If shades need re-stringing, you may want to take them to a local blind shop and have it done if you lack patience, etc. Get the correct re-stringing kit for your shade, i.e. number of strings and look over routing of the strings etc. as you disassemble them. A stiff piece of wire, masking tape, ingenuity and patience are needed. Follow cord routing directions very carefully. Work on a bed or large table. Expect to spend an hour or so with some fiddling and profanity on the fist one

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have restrung most of my day night shades. The first one is the worst and they get easier. It is much easier to do before the string breaks, so look for badly frayed strings. I bought my supplies at Fix My Blinds (link above).

Hopefully yours have just gotten loose and merely require tightening the strings a little.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

just4mrg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much all. Having my coffee now. I don't think I will be so afraid this morning when I go out to take another look. Great info; super appreciated. Thanks again.
2010 Jayco Melbourne 29d
2011 Jeep Liberty in tow

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Like K Charles said they are easy to tighten, but chances are you might have some fraying going on which makes them loose.

Restringing is pretty easy once you get the knack of it. We have done several of them over the years (and extra pair of hands does help.)

Here's where you find parts & info fixmyblinds.com
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
Check the strings for wear. Ours have been chafed all the way through in places.
Dirty Blind Man sells replacement string, with other bits. Your local dealer may stock them. Also has an instruction DVD,
The strings have a weird pattern as they cross over inside the middle plastic lifter, and move again in the bottom one.
David and Dayle

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Loosen the screw, pull the string (a little) and tighten the screw. There is a small spring inside the top for tension.

just4mrg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks John. If they are just loose, which they are, it may be just a simple matter of tightening the strings from the bottom? I will look at this again in the morning. We just returned from our first trip of the season and it is so annoying that they keep falling down.
2010 Jayco Melbourne 29d
2011 Jeep Liberty in tow

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Have repaired and rethreaded several. There have been a number of threads on here, just do a bit of looking. Hardest part is getting them down and back up. In your case, you may just need to tighten the strings. Easy to do with just a screwdriver.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.