cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealer says: Tag axles dont dump anymore.

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
SO a dealer recently told me while I was looking at a 2014 Providence that the tag axles no longer dump their airbags when put in reverse as in previous years.

I did a little searching here and could not find a thread on it so I am asking. Is this true?
2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted
19 REPLIES 19

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks; Your image in that last post does not show.

Moisheh

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once you can back up while towing it's hard to go back to not being able... reason for building a wheel lift for the Prius. Since the Prius runs it was easier to use ramps to put it into the lift instead of having it raise/lower hydraulically. I already had three receivers so making something that is cantilevered off the back was fairly easy. There are two small wheel to hold it up when going through dips and it does fold up against the back of the MH when needed for a tight site.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Ventureman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the explanation

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog:

Can you explain that setup on your Prius?

Moisheh

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dumping let's all the air out of the two airbags on the tag axle. Lifting does that plus there a two air chambers at inflate and lift the tag off the ground. Even though mine lifts, the 1500 lbs the tag axle and tire weight is not enough to cause any appreciable tire wear if it does not lift. I only lift if I'm going to make several sharp turns.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
On the gravel trucks I have driven with drop not tag axle, should work the same way they were ale steerable, however if you didn't lift them when backing up they cocked hard one way or the other and skidded the tires. Probably wouldn't wear them out however could leave small flat spots. One of the questions I plan on asking at the Good Sam RV Show in Phoenix in two weeks.

Ventureman
Explorer
Explorer
Dumb question...new to DPs. What IS the difference between dumping air and lifting? Trying to learn...!

two-niner
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2012 Tour (freightliner chassis) dumps the air but there is NO LIFT.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer doesn't know what he is talking about

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
My Freightliner has auto and manual dump, but no lift. Lift and dump are two different things.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has auto lift for reverse and a manual over ride for forward plus an off switch...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Our Dynasty can be set to Auto Lift. When you get below a certain speed the Tag lifts. Makes it easy to get around tight CG turns or to turn into a pull through site. When I come off an Interstate and get to the top of the off ramp the tag will lift making the turn very easy. There is no law that a tag has to steer??? I would never buy a MH that did not have either a steer axle or an axle lift.

Moisheh

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 call the chassis mfg and ask them. What would the ride be like without them? Never been on a DP without.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
I keep our switch to auto. Once in reverse it automatically dumps. There is also manual which will dump the tag in either direction. 2016 Newmar Dutchstar on a Freightliner Chassis.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures