cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel smell inside coach

dad2aprincess
Explorer
Explorer
When driving, we are getting a strong diesel smell inside the coach. The problem is much worse in the rear (closer to the engine). We can park all night with the generator running and not have a problem, but when we start moving, the diesel smell becomes overwhelming. We were driving 200 miles Thursday, and I was able to minimize by turning on all three air conditioners (cab and both coach A/C's). Unfortunately, that's not a good long term solution when its 40 degrees outside.

I mentioned this to the dealer and they did seal up three places that were suspect, but the problem is still happening. They said we absolutely should not be smelling diesel inside (and they're happy to keep working on it, I just can't get it back to them right now).

Do you guys have any ideas, or have you had this happen? Thanks again for your sound advice!
2015 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38DBT
10 REPLIES 10

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
If you can smell it and it smells like exhaust fumes, park it and call the manufacturer, CO2 can be deadly. If it is diesel fuel prior to combustion, that is also a hazard, and while remote, can catch fire. I would tell the dealer to come and get it, and don't bring it back until it is safe to drive. If it is diesel fuel, they should be able to see where the leak is, the stuff attracts dirt so it should not be hard to miss, and they can die the fuel and use a blacklight if they think it is vaporized diesel, which is extremely flammable.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
If it is raw diesel and it is that bad you should see something on the ground when you park and start up the next time and if it is diesel exhaust smell you should see soot in the area where it is leaking. If it is exhaust I don't know if it would set off any of the alarms inside the coach. Fuel leak is a fire bomb going down the road, exhaust a good way to go to sleep going down the road.
Last week when changing out my air filter I seen fuel dripping from the bell housing, removed the floor and it was the fitting coming out of the back of the head a plastic 1/2" return line to the tank. Removed the fitting and installed a compression style fitting replacing the push on air style fitting.
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

dad2aprincess
Explorer
Explorer
It smells more like diesel fuel to me. That's why we were thinking it's from the engine (before DEF treatment) and not the exhaust.
2015 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 38DBT

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was wondering too if it was an exhaust smell or a fuel smell.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
We keep all ceiling vents and windows closed while moving.

I assume you mean diesel exhaust?

Can't really assume here and the OP should have made it clear, as to whether it's a fuel or an exhaust smell, before one can even think about it.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
We keep all ceiling vents and windows closed while moving.

I assume you mean diesel exhaust?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
We had an exhaust leak last year that pumped fumes into the coach. I would look at the exhaust after the turbo. Ours was a hole under the exhaust pipe insulation between the turbo and muffler..
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Quite unacceptable for a new coach, I agree. Probably a fuel leak, and I'm sure they will track it down, but what a pain in the kiester until they do manage to find and fix it. Sorry for you. But you definitely do need to get it fixed, and the sooner the better.

Gooding__R
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a pusher it may be coming in under the bed if you have storage. There is a probe out there that senses gas fumes. Most propane dealers have one. Next time you fill your propane tank ask the attendant if they have one. Crank the engine and probe the areas around the rear section. Hope this helps.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
For a new coach, this is totally unacceptable and potentionally dangerous.
When you are going down the highway, a partial vacuum is created behind your vehicle. Is there any chance that a window is open, or not closed properly, that is allowing the exhaust fumes to be drawn inside?