cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV..Rude Rep..What are the rules?

Finally
Explorer
Explorer
We always liked Direct TV. In fact, we replaced our In-Motion, less than one year old Dome with a Winegard Slimline Direct TV Travler so that we could get HD. I guess we are idiots, because Dish already has HD. That being said, we've had good service from DTV so we paid $2,400 for roofDish and installation, and bought a Genie for the Living Room in the MOHO , and a regular HD receiver for the moho bedroom.

I just got off the phone with the most officious, rude, Direct TV rep that I've even spoken with. "Elizabeth. Case Manager from Alabama said that if we were to camp, say in San Antonio for a week or so, we would have to have the Distant Network Plan to get "locals' ABC,CBS,NBC etc. On previous trips, if we are going to be settled for a week or so, we called DTV, they changed the address to the RV Park, and we then could get local weather and events. They always said that our receivers would have to be turned off at home. We were never told that this was illegal.

We love RVing and have done it for 30 years. For 30 years the biggest PITA has been TV's. We HAVE to have it because of football, and of course, Dancing with the Stars. I don't think we can ever SPEND enough to make getting TV simple. I know Dish is the same.

This is a rant. What do the rest of you do? Do you call and get your spot beam switched to where you are going to be for awhile?

By the way, Direct TV reps are working out of their homes now. I guess the rep that was so hateful tonight had something cooking on the stove. Terrible idea for DTV to have reps working out of their homes. Very hateful and rude "Elizabeth, from Alabama"
2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2005 Tiffin Phaeton Sold
2009 Lincoln MKX
and Milli
32 REPLIES 32

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Distant network gets you the major network channels (ABC, NBC, etc.) from one coast or the other, not "locals" or channels from the local area to where you are.

Dish works well for us. We have Dish at home and in the RV for extra $7/mo. When we travel I just call Dish, tell them we are in the RV, and have them change our "service address". Then within a few minutes we get the true local channels, including all major network channels, in HD from the nearest large city to the area we are currently in.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowermech wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
We use our crank up antenna and OTA TV..watch all the locals channels for free

Yep, that! If there is no OTA available, there probably is no electrical hookup, either, and I don't want to run the generator just to watch movies. Reading a book (usually science fiction) is more relaxing. I don't want to run the generator to recharge kindles, either, so we read REAL dead-tree books!

Hmmmm, we've been a number of places where the OTA channels were either limited, non-existent, or all in French, but we still had electric service. Since we also have Dish service for our cottage, the RV service only adds $7 per month to our bill. Well worth it to us!
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
We use our crank up antenna and OTA TV..watch all the locals channels for free

Yep, that! If there is no OTA available, there probably is no electrical hookup, either, and I don't want to run the generator just to watch movies. Reading a book (usually science fiction) is more relaxing. I don't want to run the generator to recharge kindles, either, so we read REAL dead-tree books!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is true reason we went to dish .

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Sling Box and as long as there is 4G or 3G service I can watch my home DVR from anywhere I am. Even if you have to pay data charges. In the long run it is cheaper than DTV or Dish. I just tune in the locals in HD over the antenna.

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with road master base plate
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
TPMS with toad and MH transmitters

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
Best to convince them your FullTiming and MH is you primary unit then mirror to your stick built house.

That's what I do, works great. To me DNS is worth every penny to get networks anywhere and no fiddling with the batwing or searching for channels at each stop.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The court ruling that prohibited Dish from offering DNS expired several years ago. Recently though, the separate company that was providing DNS via transponders leased from Dish went out of business, and Dish itself has shown little interest in offering it themselves again. On the other hand, it is very easy to have Dish change your service address to get the local spot beams at no extra cost, both by phone or chat. I've changed our locals as often as daily while moving about, with no complaints from Dish. I find the chat system a bit more efficient than phoning.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Obviously you got the rep on a bad day. This is more of a personal problem with that rep rather than a condemnation of DirecTV. In any case, if you just would have hung up, and called again, you would have gotten a new rep that may have been able to help you to your satisfaction.
I might add that you seem to be upset about a representative working from home. Did you talk with her a little, to see how she felt about working at home? I did talk with one rep and she was so happy to be working at home and happy that DirecTV allowed her to work, and earn a living. She was severely disabled and obviously her job choices were very limited. By working as a rep for DirecTV, she was able to put food on the table and feel like she was productive, rather than having to be cared for 24/7.
I might add that there are several companies that now employ customer service reps IN THE USA, that work from their homes, rather than to outsource this task to some foreign service, where you may have difficulty understanding their version of the English language.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was doing alot of camping a few years back I always brought along a spare SAT RCVR and hooked up to portable SAt DISH. Of course when you get outside your local ZIP CODE you would lose the local National broadcasts (CBS-NBC-etc). I was told then I could start a separate account with DIRECTV if I wanted to watch the National Broadcast stations outside my local ZIP CODE.

When the National Broadcast System came out with digital TV from the local towns I stopped bringing along my SAT RCVRS and relied on picking up OTA National Broadcast transmissions from the local town (For FREE). This is what we was watching most of the time anyway using SAT TV.

However I ran into this problem recently regarding watching NASCAR using OTA NATIONAL Broadcast from the local towns verses SAT/CABLE TV hookups.

It all worked great for NASCAR Channels until they switch from NATIONAL BROADCAST channels in the first half of their season to TNT in last half.

The OTA NATL BROADCAST local town channels does not cover the TNT broadcast so you are out of luck trying to watch NASCAR without SAT/CABLE hookups. Just ran into this problem this last weekend trying to watch the NASCAR races using my OTA setup.

Bummer... Had to revert to local radio broadcast of the race.
Hopefully I can downstream a re-run of the race once I am back to CABLE TV at home.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
Jim & Betty wrote:
Call back and the next person will turn on the spot for your local programs. Kinda like the DMV just keep calling and someone will give the answer you want.

JimR

X2

Always works for me!
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that there was some recent ruling, etc., that Dish could no longer provide the DNS even thru the third party? but you should be able to switch your locals depending on where you are, just not get NY/LA.
bumpy

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Best to convince them your FullTiming and MH is you primary unit then mirror to your stick built house.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
We simply don't watch TV.

Had the big one in the front removed and use the space for storage.

My wife uses her Nook and reads books. I'm on the computer and read newspapers.

When I was a kid commercials were limited by the FCC as to how long and how many. Now all you see is commercials.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
From FAQ at DirecTV...

What is Distant Network Service (DNS)?

Distant Network Service (DNS) enables you to receive ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC channels from New York or Los Angeles. It's a great solution for travelers who want to enjoy these channels on the road in their mobile vehicle. If your main residence is qualified to receive Los Angeles/New York stations, you can also receive them in your RV, car or boat. If your main residence doesn't qualify for DNS, you may submit qualifying paperwork to obtain DNS channels. Learn more

Please note that a separate DIRECTV account is required to enjoy DNS in your mobile vehicle. Mirroring to the home is not allowed.

Note the last sentence..you will need a SEPARATE ACCOUNT.

This is NOT a unique situation with DirecTV. It is MANDATED by Federal Legislation. DISH is no different....hope this helps....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Call back and the next person will turn on the spot for your local programs. Kinda like the DMV just keep calling and someone will give the answer you want.

JimR