cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV

revump
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the Genie system at home, can you take the Direct TV Genie receiver and use the kingdome antenna to receive non-hd channels?
Bob
11 REPLIES 11

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Bill you are correct. I took mine to the motorhome and it worked great and the Genie is so much smaller so fits well.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The documents I have read on the HR54 is that the receiver itself will disable the internal PI if there is an external PI in use.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jimj
Explorer
Explorer
I have upgraded to the HR 54 and have a SWM 16 in the MH. Will the 54 use the pi29 power inserter and disable the internal power inserter or do I have to disable it?

Thanks

JimJ

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, interesting twist. With the SWM8 setup you would still use the PI29 and the HR54 would disable its internal PI.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

SnoBear
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if the HR-54 has the power to run a SWM8. I believe that requires 29 volts while a SWM LNB needs 22 volts. My recent upgrade to the HR-54 with a SWM8 uses a stand alone 29 volt power inserter in the RV. At home the HR-54 powers a SWM LNB all by itself.

It's never easy ...

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Correct. The "external" PI is not necessary as it is built into the receiver.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
missnmountains wrote:
Absolutely you can. I am doing it right now as I type this. You will need a multi switch and a power inserter between the Kingdome and the Genie. It is an easy setup. You will not receive any HD channels, so be sure to go to settings an hide HD channels.

Ken

OK good to know so with the new HR 54 you won't need the power inserter.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
No. King dome has the wrong LNB. The dome you have uses a LNB powered from the receiver. The Genie does not power the LNB, but rather the LNB used with a Genie has a seperate power supply.

The new HR 54 has a built in power inserter. I have that on my Genie. I don't think that helps without the multi-switch.

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely you can. I am doing it right now as I type this. You will need a multi switch and a power inserter between the Kingdome and the Genie. It is an easy setup. You will not receive any HD channels, so be sure to go to settings an hide HD channels.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, in most KD models, you can add a SWM8 kit and make the dome work with the SWM setup. Sorry to give you a correct but confusing response.
Not all KD's can be converted to SWM8 but most recent models can. I would give KD a call and ask if your model (get the model and serial number) can have the SMW8 hardware installed.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. King dome has the wrong LNB. The dome you have uses a LNB powered from the receiver. The Genie does not power the LNB, but rather the LNB used with a Genie has a seperate power supply.