cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution hitch

Terricolorado65
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I have a question about my new weight distribution hitch that may be “stupid” or I’m having a “blonde moment”... I just purchased a weight distribution hitch to put on my vehicle and toy hauler. Haven’t had it installed yet, my husband recently passed so I’m waiting on a neighbor to help. Does any part of the hitch just stay attached to my vehicle at all times? I know part of it just stays on my toy hauler, but do I need to mount and dismount every time I want to go out? I’m an older woman with lifting heavy objects issues, and I cannot find the answer anywhere when googling... can it just stay mounted on my vehicle? Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to leave the hitch head in the tow vehicle, I would spray the square bar and lockable locking pin down with something like Bowshield or WD-40 every so often, maybe every two or three months so the hitch doesn't rust into the receiver. That way if and when you trade tow vehicles, you can keep your old hitch and not have to buy a new one. Heavy Water Resistant wheel bearing grease will also work, though it is a mess when you do remove the hitch head. Rest assured, the towing receiver will rust even if you don't use it. I bought my Chevrolet Pick-up from my sister who only used a fifth wheel hitch in the two years she had the truck and when I bought it, I had to beat my receiver in and out with a big sledge hammer the use it. The more I have installed and removed the hitch, the easier it has become. Still hate the cheap receiver Chevy installed. I never had those problems with the Reese Receiver I installed on my 75 IHC Scout II which I owned for 24 years. I guess they don't make them like that any more.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

lfeather
Explorer
Explorer
My Hensley wait-distribution hitch stayed on my travel trailer. All i had to do was remove the ~5lb receiver bar from the truck
Larry, Debbie & Max the Pug
USAF Retired
2014 Itasca Reyo P
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i 6 speed manual transmission

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yes ideally get everything on a level spot with the trailer as close to loaded for camping as you can get it.

See if your neighbor will help with setting up the hitch for you. And with your back injury I would leave the hitch attached to the tow vehicle as much as possible.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Terricolorado65
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.. ya I’m pretty concerned about the “weight” alone with the hitch as I’m sporting around a “7 level spinal fusion” installed in my back, titanium rods, nuts and bolts”... I struggle through the pain it causes every single time I bend, stoop or try to pick anything with weight up. I’m hoping between my neighbor and myself, we can come up with some “easier” idea.. another question: I’ve watch the “installment video by Curt”, and it looks like I need to get my trailer to a level situation. As it sits right now, it’s definetly down hill in the back. So do I need to tow (Close!) without the weight distribution hitch attached to level ground to put on the whole thing correctly, oh and put my ATV on the front as well so it is bearing exact weight I will be carrying? And will towing it close to level ground will that hurt my vehicle with all that weight? When I purchased it, I had my neighbor with his truck tow it home, so I haven’t had it on mine yet... well I guess I just answered my own question... he towed it home without a weight distribution hitch... didn’t hurt his hitch... lol but I do need to have everything level in “spot” with ATV in front to set it up correctly right? My driveway is just not level.. I live in the mountains on acreage, just not a big enough leveling area in my driveway...

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with leaving a hitch on long term, is it will eventually rust and become one with the TV.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Terri.... the hitch portion that attaches to the vehicle will be VERY heavy. To save your back, leave it on and put a locking hitch pin on, so it doesn't walk away.

Connecting the load leveling bars can require some herculian strength. There is a trick however.....attach the trailer to the truck, lock the hitch ball to the trailer by throwing the lever and then use the trailer jack to lift the front of the trailer as high as you can. This will make attaching the bars much easier. Have someone show you this procedure.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
And the UPSIDE of leaving your hitch on your tow vehicle is any clown that rear ends you is substantially damaged. Twice I’ve been rear ended...no damage to my vehicle but plenty to their vehicle.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Seon
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
...that can bruise your shins if you're not careful.

The classic "Knee Knocker" :B . Fast forward to minute 1:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK_h-2kot6s

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Usually people remove the hitch after camping so there is nothing left on the tow vehicle. But yes you can leave the hitch head attached to your tow vehicle at all times. Then you only have to attach and remove the actual distribution bars when you want to hook up.

The downside is you will have a greasy hitch hanging off the back of the tow vehicle that can bruise your shins if you're not careful.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup