cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do shops ever fix something on the first try?

behengold
Explorer
Explorer
Is it my bad luck or do others have to go back to mechanics to get a repair done right?
I get tired of paying people to learn how to fix something . Nobody ever says this is the price and I'll fix it or not charge you. I could argue this extends to almost anything where you pay for a repair. Just venting since I have just discovered another repair gone wrong.
28 REPLIES 28

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I've had Camping World-Tucson work on my toy hauler a couple of times and they did it right the first time.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly, yes for us. With the exception of RV dealers. Most the time they end up breaking something else and try to let it slip by. Our experience of coarse.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
With a 1975 rig, it's getting harder to find shops that have employees who know how to work on non-electronic engines. But fortunately, I have one shop with a mechanic who knows my rig and understands it (as done the owner) and so things go well. But there is always a weird issue that throws them once in a while.

I've also found that out on the road, there is usually someone (of any age) who hobbies with these old engines and can provide advice/assistance. They just don't work as mechanics in shops because they don't want to work on newer engines.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

behengold
Explorer
Explorer
I can do most house repairs but I'm not a trained diesel mechanic. I really appreciate those who can do their own mechanical work. I'm learning though. My rate is a $125 an hour less then the shops.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I had taken our Bounder(now for sale)in for the same problem to some very highly acclaimed shops here and even in Hesperia. I have no idea how much I spent and finally found the correct diagnosis on the forum and IRV2. It cost me less to buy tools and materials to verify and fix the problem than any of the shops charged me to repair things that weren't broken.

A very reputable shop told me over and over that it was an electrical problem and not a lack of fuel as I kept insisting it was. I finally put a temporary fuel pressure gauge on the dash and drove around and found that I lost fuel pressure intermittently. The part needed cost $18 dollars and was almost impossible to find. I installed a relay of my own choosing and that was in my tool box as a spare and have not had any problem since.

When I stopped by and told the owner of this very reputable shop what I found, his reply was, "See it was an electrical problem". Two months he had the RV and couldn't find it, I found it in four hours by doing what he said would prove nothing.

No I do not feel they are very good the first 20 times around. If the vehicle doesn't have OBD port where they can plug in their computers, they are lost
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Basic mechanics, working on a strict time schedule, just throw parts at a problem, that you pay for, with the hopes that eventually something will fix the problem. The shop owner is expecting the customer to pay for the "on the job training" of the unqualified people that he hires.
A real mechanic will analyze the issue, find the root cause, and fix the problem.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
behengold wrote:
Is it my bad luck or do others have to go back to mechanics to get a repair done right?
I get tired of paying people to learn how to fix something . Nobody ever says this is the price and I'll fix it or not charge you. I could argue this extends to almost anything where you pay for a repair. Just venting since I have just discovered another repair gone wrong.

If you are going to an "RV" repair shop, yup the majority of the techs are low paid newbies. Punch in at 8 and out by 4 whether your coach is done or not. The good ones don't work there.

Use RV Mobile Repair and I can pretty much guarantee it will be done right the first time. Because come morning and you find it was not repaired properly that RV Mobile Repair guy has to drop everything an get back to you to correct it.

Won't find that at an "RV" repair shop. More like..."just come back and drop it off and we will get to it in a month or so and we will try again to figure it out".:R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
I use this site for review.

behengold wrote:
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Between Ford dealer that drop clamp into my turbo and Mercedes dealer that took 3 days to do wheel alignment?
Well.... not likely

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
IF YOU use the right person/shop you will usually get good results.
I have my list of GREAT SHOPS and shops I will not go near.
This is where the experience of old age is a benefit. We have all felt your angst but as you get older you learn to go only to shops/people you trust and know. You also learn to stay away from RV Dealerships and get a good mobile mechanic.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

behengold
Explorer
Explorer
Most recently a place in Annapolis that specializes in buses. Fortunately I haven't had to have a lot of repairs on the four rvs I've owned but A large percentage of the time I have to go back to have problems corrected that would be revealed by proper quality control. My fault for not taking the time to road test before paying. Most recently installing a leveling check valve will need to be adjusted.at least I hope that's all it needs.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Sure they do. They even fix what else broke on the way to the shop. LOL
-jbh-

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you taking your RV that is doing the bad repairs?

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your topic question.
Yes the good ones do.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee