cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Tires on a Class A Rot with age?

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
I have browsed through ads for used Class A motorhomes and noticed (just my observation) that motorhomes that are 7 or 8 years old, even the high end ones with hardly any miles on them, seem to be advertised for more affordable prices.

On the other hand, 2 or 3 year old motorhomes, even those with high mileage, have asking prices approaching that of a new unit.

Is this partly because a 7 or 8 year old motorhome automatically needs all new tires?
27 REPLIES 27

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
A short tire story I have told once before. Friend had the same fifth as we do but we don't agree on the tire's. He decided to test a 7 year old G-614 that was given to him. He made it from Seattle to almost Spokane before it blew with some trailer damage.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
And 22.5" medium and heavy truck tires easily go 100,000 miles, on a truck that is used daily. But on a motorhome that gets limited use, they age out long before they wear out.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, if you notice a lot of the tire replacement advice is from the RV'ers who live out west and their tires are exposed to the sun just about year round. Florida and the south somewhat the same. Wear, cracking and dry rotting is not as rapid living in the northeast vs. these sunny warm weather states. I believe that is why there is no definitive time frame of when to replace tires. I have a work associate that has a late 1980's Winnebago class A with the original tires on it with total mileage just over 30,000. He also is an excellent mechanic who knows a thing or two about maintenance etc. on vehicles and race cars that he wrenches for. I bought a 1977 Kawasaki motorcycle about six years ago with 3740 original miles on it with the original rubber. I drove the bike two years before the tires showed any signs of cracking.
On used RV pricing, the posts that said you should be able to buy new at 25 to 30% off list are spot on. Another way to look at it and the formula I use is list minus shipping, divided by 40%, subtract from list, add shipping back on and a profit for the dealer, $1500 to $2500 and you'll have a good idea of what it should of sold for brand new. From there I just simply deduct 10% each year for depreciation. I used this to set the trade-in price of my last A and what I expected to pay for my one year old at the time "new" A. It seems to be very close.
Good luck and happy shopping!

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
JRS & B wrote:
I have browsed through ads for used Class A motorhomes and noticed (just my observation) that motorhomes that are 7 or 8 years old, even the high end ones with hardly any miles on them, seem to be advertised for more affordable prices.

On the other hand, 2 or 3 year old motorhomes, even those with high mileage, have asking prices approaching that of a new unit.

Is this partly because a 7 or 8 year old motorhome automatically needs all new tires?
Then you did not price a 7 or 8 year old Newell. They are going for right around $500,000.00! http://www.newellcoach.com/the-coaches/pre-owned-coaches/
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am going to simplify the question Do tires rot with age? Yes, 8-10 years is about the limit if the unit is driven often.. If parked, they rot a whole lot faster.

NOTE: this applies to cars, pickups, trailers, Class A,B,C, and .. Well, tires, period, Even bicycle tires.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
GENECOP wrote:
Many factors go into pricing an RV, tires definately need to be changed at 8-10 years of age.

Five years!
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

karaokegal
Explorer
Explorer
tires do dry rot,and just FYI anyone that parks there RV on limestone for any extended period of time in storage is looking for trouble. lime stone reacts with rubber and your tires will have to be replaced more freq. i own an rv storage facility and some people come in and say my price is higher than my competors. here is the difference i offer concrete parking that is better for your tires also i have canopys to protect the roof from the blistering heat. look at it this way i think it is better to pay alittle more rent to protect the RV instead of the maintance to replace these items.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Check the dot #'s on the tires and replace tires that are 6 years old. 22.5 tires Can cost about 600-700 per tire out the door. Many other problems can occur with older MH's. There are many threads on this forum.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Yes they do!!!
Ck. the DOT . MFG date on the side wall!!!!

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
IF the coach is any older then 5 years I would learn how to read the date code on the tires to check their age. If you find they are just as old as the coach, it is just another negotiation tool for you. I bought my RV knowing the tires needed to be replaced and negotiated on that for the final price.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the input. I always kind of wondered if tires on a Class A, being more akin to heavy duty truck tires, were somehow immune to deteriorating with age. Obviously the answer is NO, no matter what kind of tire it is.

Don_and_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Tire have date codes on them. This is the date of manufacture. Check the date, if it is more that 6-7 years old the rubber is getting old. If you are not careful, you can get new tires that are at end of life when you buy them. I bought my MH used and the tires looked brand new and I was told they were recently replaced, with in two years they were cracked and needed to be replaced.
And, no it shouldn't make a difference in price unless they are really old. My class A tires didn't cost anymore than pickup tires. If it's a DP then they will cost a fortune.

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
I was not assuming list price. I was assuming what I would call an "advertised" price. The kind of sale price one sees on the internet, or at an RV show.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually, you can purchase just about any new motor home for close to 25% to 30% off "list price". So a $400k motorhome (list price) will actually sell (new) for close to $300K, or maybe even less. So, yes you will find a 2-year old motor home selling for 33% less than its original "list price". I'm assuming, of course, that you are referring to a new motor home's "list price" when you mention the "new" price.

We were recently looking at a new 2014 Newmar Ventana 43 footer that had a list price of $331K and their initial price to us was $269K.....without us haggling at all. So, that's almost a 20% discount right off the bat! With a little negotiating, I could probably get that discount up to 25%.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....