cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you launch a boat with your Class C?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about selling our small 5th wheel and purchasing a used 28'-31' Class C. We are a family of 4. Reason for change: So I can tow my 17' fishing boat!!

Do any of you launch a boat with your Class C?

If so, a few questions....

1. Does the back of your coach touch/enter water when launching?

2. Do you back in reverse from top of ramp all the way down to bottom of launch ramp? Some lake ramps can be very long especially in times of California drought times.

3. With the long chassis/body behind the rear wheels, has this been a problem when launching (ex. entering water, scraping at top of ramp when ramp begins to drop/angle down, etc).

Thanks
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
24 REPLIES 24

Ponderosa
Explorer
Explorer
I launch both a deck boat and aluminum fishing boat at times. The deck boat is much easier a I can see it in the mirrors and make corrections backing. The little boat is hidden and by the time you see it, it is well on the way to jack knifing. I need the backup cam for that one. Otherwise, it is no harder than with a truck. Turning around on the ramp - drive down and make a u-turn on the ramp is a weird feeling. You think you are going to roll! Doesn't happen though.

You touched on the main problem which is having to take the boat out and put in back on the trailer each day. Your MH sits in the parking lot instead of the campground getting hot. In the west, our lakes are mostly public land and have few marinas. When they do, a slip costs more than an RV site. The shores are usually rocky and will tear up the boat if you beach. We will sometimes anchor offshore using an anchor buddy.
2015 Thor Windsport 32N

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
I'll throw in another yes, we launch our 19' boat with our 30' class C. There is one RV park in Hilton Head we go to each year where the ramp is right off the main park entrance which is very busy. We often get the PWC rental guys to launch for us with their jeep. Other than that, no issues at all.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
GeneinNE wrote:
Several years ago there was a story in the newspaper about a couple that were going to launch their boat with their motorhome. They were having a problem getting lined up with the ramp. So....the husband got out and was going to give directions to his wife on backing down the ramp. Then an unexpected problem happened, the engine of the motorhome stalled. When power brakes lose vacuum of a running motor, you have to stand on the brake pedal. Before his wife realized what was happening, the motorhome was launched.

This scenario could happen with any vehicle launching a boat. Launching a boat on a ramp is an evolution where driver error or mechanical issue could result in a big expense, whether you use a motorhome or a pickup.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
37ft Class A towing Seadoo = launched many a time down ramps using a drop hitch and rear wheels hardly ever touched water of the RV. We have never towed auto in over 17 years of many extended trips, and only hired a vehicle twice (one in LV to explore further afield for 4 days and once in Anaheim for 3 days to explore fast and furious attractions).

Going to the other question on exploring around towns etc: The reason we RV is for the freedom and versatility it gives us to stop and go as and when we please, and to get away from an overly governed scheduled life. We never find it a problem to organize our travels around places we want to stop and see and we love, love, love to dry camp/boondock so not reliant on hookups whatsoever, and avoid CG's and their "rules" like the plague. Not saying we wouldn't change it up a bit to an action packed resort for 2 or 3 days if the mood takes us, but that would be like a mini vacation from our vacation so to speak, and a very rare occurrence.

Basically tow or not tow, take cycles, Uber, public transit, whatever. YOU decide, because ....... anything the mind can conceive is possible and achievable. Up until last handful of years, our vacations were like an assault course to experience as much as we could over shorter time frames. Past few years, we've taken more time to smell the roses, and next year with a strong wind, and stronger RE market behind us we should be FTing. YEAH!

Another "comfort of mind" thing you might consider - offer (although they'll likely all say NO you are welcome) maybe $5 or $10 to a guy with a truck that's already there, to launch for you if you are nervous of a specific ramp. It's amazing how kind folks are, but in all reality you'll likely be fine doing it with your C series anyway.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
when launching do you look for a slip or do you put boat back on trailer everyday?

Back in my boating days it was case by case basis. Some of the local ramps are busy (Katherine Landing (Mohave) on busy days) or almost deserted and wide open. Even with a pickup I used to get slip at Katherine and launch early on a weekday morning-to avoid the hours long ritual on busy summer days. . Later the slips even got hard to get. Basically if I had boat now I'd stay in marina/rv park combo and get a slip. Or choose places/times where the ramps aren't busy. I didn't consider launching any problem at all on a sparsely used ramp.

One thing I used to do was launch early in the morning. Lots of recreation boaters aren't getting on the water till mid to late morning. Launch ramps can be entertaining, but after many hours in line over the years I would rather skip the busiest ones.

Hemi_RT
Explorer
Explorer
A good welding shop can put a receiver tube just about any where you would want one. Have a tube installed rather than a mounted ball so you can remove it when not in use or you might find out the hard way just how far that thing is sticking out - Trust me I know from experience

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
all great info and suggestions. I appreciate the pics too!

I am assuming launching would be just as easy with a Class A?

Are front hitches also available for Class As?
Equal-i-zer 10K

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
Use to launch my boat with my class C all the time.

My truck camper too.

Now I launch with my Class B.
12 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity - named E-Pod
05 GMC 3500 SRW Crew Cab LB
10 Bass Cat Puma w/ 250 Mercury ProXS

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6
13 Pleasure-Way Lexor TS Class B
13 Tioga Montara 25K Class C
09 Lance 915 Truck Camper

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer

I don't have a boat. I did install a front hitch for bicycles. I also have a flat
basket that we sometimes put two coolers on, and another flat basket with a
work box that we loaded with heavy tools (to balance the load better). The install
was super easy and super quick (on a 2006 E350).

Front Hitch for 2006 E350 $123 incl shipping
2007 Gulf Stream 6211 (21' Shorty) Ford E350 V10
sometimes with #14 Racecar (18' KwikLoad Rollback)
sometimes with two gaited horses (Featherlite 9407)
sometimes just us camping with our dogs

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I have a C with a front hitch. I use the front hitch all the time. It is so much easier than using mirrors and back-up camera. I would get a hitch on the front. When you get in a bind, which you will, you will have an other alternative.
Brian

Richmcm
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 26 foot class c and pull and have been launching our 17 bass boat for many years. Never had a problem launching our boat. The long overhang actually works very well in most situations especially in low water times. We have a backup camera as well as being able to see out of the back window in our Aspect 26A makes it fairly easy with our size MH. We usually know our destination and water access ramp so there are no surprises when taking our boat along. Some persons mention a front hitch for easier access to tight boat launch ramps which is a great idea to be ready for any situation just not something Iwe have seen a need to do with our size and style MH. We usually plan to where we are going and check out the ramp ahead of time. Now with google maps you can actually see the ramp access point and see if it is problematic for your rig. We have learned to make sure we can dock our boat so that when we launch the boat we can set up the MH for the duration of our stay. Good luck!
Rich & Diane
2006 Aspect 26 A
Nitro 640 LX

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
pigman1 wrote:
I too have seen a number of RV's launching boats, but I've also seen a VERY NICE large class A up to the windows in Canyon Lake in Arizona. As long as everything goes well there's no problem, but when you have just one thing go wrong, it gets very expensive very fast. By the way, the guy's boat was floating just fine in Canyon Lake. According to Murphy, if it can happen, it will.
Several years ago there was a story in the newspaper about a couple that were going to launch their boat with their motorhome. They were having a problem getting lined up with the ramp. So....the husband got out and was going to give directions to his wife on backing down the ramp. Then an unexpected problem happened, the engine of the motorhome stalled. When power brakes lose vacuum of a running motor, you have to stand on the brake pedal. Before his wife realized what was happening, the motorhome was launched.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I did it hundreds of times. I always kept a 4x4 to place behind the rear tires if launching by myself. Never any issues. On a long ramp get as straight as possible to start and then put it in neutral and let go of the steering wheel. Let the boat pull you down the ramp. You usually don't need to touch the wheel.

And yes this was in California.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Larry...
when launching do you look for a slip or do you put boat back on trailer everyday?

Also, what do you do for getting around town sight-seeing?
Equal-i-zer 10K