cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domestic Fridge not cooling

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
Our Domestic refrigerator is just not cooling like it should. on LP or AC. This past weekend we ran generator for 3 days dry camping and nothing really got cold. It was cool but not cold. Freezer no better. We had ice cream sandwiches that were not frozen.

Could it just need freon? Who can service these units? Regular appliance guys? What can I do to troubleshoot?
Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia
11 REPLIES 11

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Yup that is right. They say for the modern propane fridges if you are comfortable living in your RV you are level enough.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about everyone else's Dometic, but mine has always needed to be LEVEL. It works GREAT when level, but doesn't cool correctly if unlevel left/right or front/back. When it is level, it works so much better. I have a small blue frig fan (can purchase at campingworld) and I also have a fan in the roof vent. Both fans help, but the real trick for mine is to be LEVEL. maybe your's too?

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I just came back from a 100 degree 3 day fishing trip. I did the usual. Brought frozen packs. Enough to fill a whole shelf in the fridge. Then I transfer them back and forth from the freezer. I also put the awning over the fridge vent on the outside to keep it in the shade. One of the days I emptied one of the draws in the bottom and filled it with ice. Doing all of these things my fridge worked perfectly. 🙂 My fridge has the hardest time keeping up when driving on extremely hot days for many hours. I myself have yet to see a propane fridge that does well in 100 degree heat without some help. I think I have owned 6 different ones. I am going to go 12 volt danfoss for just that reason, its just a matter of getting around to it. But if you are willing to do what it takes you can get by. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Could be as simple as a bad thermistor or could be major like cooling unit blockage

BUT without some REAL info not much help can be offered

WHAT Model of Dometic?

Does freezer get cold enough to keep food frozen?
Does food section get cold enough to keep milk OK?

Did you pre-cool fridge or just stuff it full of items then turn it on?

A little info.........OK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
If it is mounted in a slide it probably has fans and they may have died.

You may need to clean your chimney too.,

And if your refer drain hose is cracked it will not cool well. Or if you repositioned it and it needed a drip loop that would allow warm air in too.

Check out these videos and you may save a ton of money.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
install inside fan. and outside exhaust vent fan.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I think a little over board but I once saw a class A with a small window awning over the vent at the bottom of the refer area. It shaded a good portion of the exterior wall on the outside of the refer. If stay a lot in summer south west maybe it helps.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
olddog49 wrote:
lakebum wrote:
Our Domestic refrigerator is just not cooling like it should. on LP or AC. This past weekend we ran generator for 3 days dry camping and nothing really got cold. It was cool but not cold. Freezer no better. We had ice cream sandwiches that were not frozen.

Could it just need freon? Who can service these units? Regular appliance guys? What can I do to troubleshoot?

If the outdoor temps above 95, the fridge struggles to cool. A vent fan on the inside to help circulate air or vent on the outside where the outside located behind the fridge. I did have one installed but when the temps are hanging around 105. It doesnt do much good. Keeping door shut long as possible, open and close quickly. Door seals in good shape.

It was an extremely hot weekend and we were nestled right in the direct sunlight all day.... I will try some of the suggestions on the google search I just did and look into purchasing a circulating fan also....
Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
If you intended to write Dometic, then it is an absorption reefer. Appliance guys can't help you. It probably needs the cooling unit replaced. Google RV refrigerator repair.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

olddog49
Explorer
Explorer
lakebum wrote:

If the outdoor temps above 95, the fridge struggles to cool. A vent fan on the inside to help circulate air or vent on the outside where the outside located behind the fridge. I did have one installed but when the temps are hanging around 105. It doesnt do much good. Keeping door shut long as possible, open and close quickly. Door seals in good shape.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
google this question,you,ll get lot of help.