cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Down and out in Spartanberg SC

christsong1
Explorer
Explorer
We were traveling home and decided to fuel up while it was cheaper in SC.
We pulled up to the pump and refueled. When I turned the key it didn't want to start again. It finally did start, but was idling very rough. I realized that I had left the jake brake on. After turning it off, it still idles very rough and check engine light is on. We drove it 3 miles to the next truck stop, but barely made it there.
Does anyone have an idea or know of a reputable caterpillar mechanic in this area? We are close to Greenville/Spartanberg SC. in Gaffney actually.
2003 Damon Ultra Sport 40ft Cat 2136
My Wife of 20 years. 1 Dog 2 Guitars
Grand Caravan Toad Very Used Tow Dolly
Traveling On "A Song and a Prayer"...
Calling The Kids to "ARISE And Be COUNTED"
25 REPLIES 25

christsong1
Explorer
Explorer
sorry brother..they didn't tell me that part..

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
Just for reference, did they happen to give you the code that tripped the Check Engine Light?

C-Leigh_Racing
Explorer
Explorer
Christsong1, sounds like a gospel singing group.
Glad it was something simple to replace, sorry though it held you up from your destination point.

My family attended a lot of gospel singings over the years. Youst to love the one at Boone the Greens put on at the fair grounds.
Neil

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
hanko wrote:
and my gas job just keeps motoring down the road.

That really helps the OP. Stupid!
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

christsong1
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to update this in case someone might need this info. My wife posted that it was an idle sensor, then mentioned the jake brake. I want to clarify. It was a sensor found on top of the valve cover of the engine. It's about 6 inches long and screws into the top of the intake or valve cover, the other end plugs into the harness. The symptoms were lose of power, engine surging and stalling with check engine light on. I hope this will clarify this subject.I believe in this form and the support it gives folks like me. This is quite a learning experience and I so appreciate the wealth of knowledge and the willingness to share...Bobby

christsong1
Explorer
Explorer
It was a couple of brothers named Hensley came to the rescue. They were so nice and helpful and very knowledgeable. If you are in the area and need help they are worth looking up!

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Great. Got that note after I copied you. Glad it was simple.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you...glad you're back on the road and that you reported the results. This may help someone else down the road. Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

christsong1
Explorer
Explorer
WELL! Turns out it was the Idle Sensor. They changed the fuel filter, but it didn't look bad, then they messed with the exhaust brake. Then they touched the Exhaust Brake (Jake) and that was it. They changed it and we are "On the Road Again"....Feeling blessed!:B

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:

Must be awesome to be you... What a jerk.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^^^WOW^^^^^^^^^
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 34N
2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Toad

USAF Veteran. 75-81 SAC "Giant Talk" ATC-
Combat Crew Communications

Squealers = Steelers & Arkansas Razorbacks Fan

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
Cat runs a 24 hour help line. They can at least tell you the nearest dealer.(877) 228-0909
Worked for us.
Fleetwood Revolution LE 38X
2011 Scion TC toad

christsong1
Explorer
Explorer
Well, thank you all for your posts. We lubed and oiled the Jake/Pac Brake...that was actually what we thought it was. But, then started it back up and again the motor surges in idle and check engine light came back on.
We are only 2 miles from the Freight Liner Service Facility and we could leave it there if we have to, but they are closed on Saturday. That remains an option.

We are waiting right now on a service guy who is bringing a fuel filter.
This one has been changed just 2000 miles ago, but when it was changed it was FULL of sludge and gunk....thinking that it might need to be changed again because this thing was setting a long time before we bought it.

We also have come from 100 elevation to about 2000 feet. Would that be an issue?

We'll let you know what happens. Thanks again for the help!