Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Downsizing to B+

roadsigns
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

Wanted to pick your collective brains about Class B+ motorhomes. Am considering the Coach House 220 TB (twin bed) or the Nexus Viper 24V. Also maybe Pleasure Way Pursuit.

All three models are built on the Ford E 350 or E 450 chassis, so that's not an issue. What I wondered about was your experience with the actual RV companies in regards to quality of workmanship, durability, ease of handling, and any repair nightmares. ๐Ÿ˜ž

At this time, we are leaning toward the Coach House but the price tag is a bit more than we would like. I was surprised that so many things were "options" when you would think it was included for that price. (Starting price is $128K.) But it has a great layout and they have a reputation for high quality materials.

The Nexus is around half the price and seems to also have high quality workmanship and materials including Norcold ref while CH has Dometic ref.

Our priority is to have a unit that is easy to drive including in the city or high traffic areas and easy to maneuver so that one person can go alone if need be without having a "spotter" to help park. But also comfortable to sleep and enough storage for essentials such as golf clubs. :R And 2 big furry children. Also good quality RV so it doesn't spend most of the time in the repair shop.

We currently have a class A 34 ft. Southwind Storm and it is just too hard to handle alone and not easy to drive or park.

Appreciate any advice and experience you have had with any of these units or dealers.

Thanks!

Roadsigns
11 REPLIES 11

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
"Our priority is to have a unit that is easy to drive including in the city or high traffic areas and easy to maneuver so that one person can go alone if need be without having a "spotter" to help park. But also comfortable to sleep and enough storage for essentials such as golf clubs. And 2 big furry children. Also good quality RV so it doesn't spend most of the time in the repair shop."

This is the essence of a retiree's touring MH, and Born Free Motorcoach has been the standard-bearer for just such rigs for decades.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
You need one of the many twin bed models of Born Free - a long time builder of quality B+s.

The small and large built-for-2s:

http://www.bornfreemotorcoach.com/21_builtfor2_mini_class_c_rv

http://www.bornfreemotorcoach.com/23_builtfor2_class_c_rv

Remind yourself that while big baths are in some of their longer models, you get harder units to see from...the shorter units with rear doors are easy for a single driver to maneuver.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I can give a strong endorsement of the quality of the Lazy Daze. Very neatly built, very sturdy and minimal problems. It has been a joy to own. The factory support has been outstanding. This has been my only rv I have taken on trip after trip and not had a constant list of things to fix.

If you are planning on heavy urban/ city use you may consider the sprinter chassis products as more maneuverable. They are narrower-overall width is important in crowded urban conditions.

I have no issue driving my 99 inch width Lazy Daze around suburbia. It is easy to park in most malls, shopping centers or grocery stores.

Quick_trip
Explorer
Explorer
Also check out Lazy Daze.
They have a good number of models.
NO slideouts as they have huge tinted windows!
Good Luck & Drive Safe!

HDDrvr
Explorer
Explorer
I would look seriously at the Phoenix Cruiser or the models from Leisure Travel Vans. We just picked up our new RV, a 2013 LTV Unity TB, and couldn't be happier. Just posted our 'Maiden Voyage' under the Beginning RV'g thread, if you want to check it out.

Good luck on your search and decision.

Coalminer_UG
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2009 Pleasureway B. I kick my royal behind for upsizing to a B+. I spent 3 months in it in Arizona and never had a issue. Drove great and was easy to handle and park. My 2010 Itasca Cambria which I have now is also well built. It also stood up very well to road travel and another 3 months in Arizona. I believe in my case the quality was great, no problems with it. Mileage with the B was around 18mpg and the Itasca was around 10mpg.
Ches

Served In Canadian Army 1PPCLI

Retired Underground Coal Miner (Gen Foreman)

roadsigns
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the pictures Ron. Very nice unit! The layout of your Phoenix is very similar to the Nexus that we are looking at.

I will check out the Phoenix website. I am interested in the twin bed as it would be so much easier to maneuver around it.

Thanks!
Roadsigns

GrandmaLee
Explorer
Explorer
lap527 wrote:
Don't have any answers for you but completely understand the downsizing issue. We just finished the whole circus ourselves. Good luck and so far the downsizing has worked great for us. So easy now and it really doesn't matter 'cause we still having fun...

Less = More
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you might wanna check out leisure travel vans also with the MB diesel ,you,ll double your fuel mpg.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have any answers for you but completely understand the downsizing issue. We just finished the whole circus ourselves. Good luck and so far the downsizing has worked great for us. So easy now and it really doesn't matter 'cause we still having fun...
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want a twin bed design, Phoenix USA offers 3 differnet twin bed models at various lengths. Model 2552 is most popular. I like the dinette without a slideout, but if you prefer a couch or dinette in the slideout they are most poular.

As far as quality & customer service goes, It's dang good. We bought our model 2350 six years ago and we love it. Admittedly bed access is a bit of a challenge, but at 23'-8" end-to-end, we got it all in a small package.

But even the longest PCs are still 93" wide and not taller than 10'1" to the tippy top of the a/c unit. With nicely angled transition walls they are quite aerodynamic and happen to be easy to maneuver compared to the typical class-C.

CLICK HERE to see it.

Model 2552