cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drivers license requirements

Raider-Rider
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of purchasing a 2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE. California requires a non-commercial class B license for motorhomes over 40ft. The Fleetwood brochure list the "bumper to bumper" length as 40'11" . In the same brochure both models 40J and 40L are listed as 39'11" overall length. All three models are riding on the spartan liberty chassis. For licensing purposes what length controls, the model designation or measured length?

I appreciate feedback from someone knowledgeable about this subject

Thank you
2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE
2012 Chevrolet Sonic W/Blue Ox Tow Bar
2008 BMW GS1200
2004 VTX 1800R
61 REPLIES 61

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I would test drive one, used to live in Ca, and then I would pull on the scale, explain to Cal Trans DOT Officer and they will measure and tell you what to do. I have been stooped in a Class 8 truck in Ca and they were right every time. Never got a ticket except for Fix-its.

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
To all that say the correct info is here or to call your state dmv. been there and done that. There is a hole in the info available. Fill that hole yourself at your own risk. I admit I am looking for a different reason. NJ specifically states no special license for a Motor Home. My question is a trailer in excess of 10,001 pounds behind a truck also in excess of 10,000 pounds, but teh total is under 26,000 pounds. No definitive answer. all the written info goes to whn the combo is over 26,000. Called DMV, they basically talked to us like were stupid, but they also didn't say page # or paragraph etc. In some places they mention medicals, in other they don't. I know that if I go over 26k I need a B unless the trailer is over 19K, then I need and A. That is pretty well spelled out. What is left blank is a 13K truck and a 12.5K trailer, total is 25.5K Anyone have an answer? Now I know that some state DO require a B license for this, PA being one, but they also require a B for a motor home. NJ silent. It is NJ I need to know about. Thank you.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it's the other way around. 12804.10 starts with "Notwithstanding any provision of law" before it says you can drive ANY motorhome under 40' without the class B. Notwithstanding means the same as "in spite of." So what 12804.10 is saying is basically in spite of any other law to the contrary, such as the weight limit law, a person can drive any motorhome under 40 feet without a Class B.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Completely agree but can also see there side. The stance was that when vehicle code starts with "notwithstanding any provision of law" that indicates that the provision that follows is limited by another provision. In this case they insisted that you then had to go back and find the limiting provision which is the weight. I can see both interpretations.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
discovery4us wrote:
msmith I agree with your interpretation but, that dang but, when I researched with the CHP they hit me with the start of 12804.1, "Notwithstanding any other provision of law". They refered me back to 12804.9 which has the 26,000 lbs. and under requirement. Their stance was you had to meet all levels of 12804.9 not just one. They interpreted you had to check off each item to be legal with each license classification hence the "Notwithstanding any other provision of law". Meeting the under 40' was good but still had to meet the weight, not one or the other.

They were wrong. Go to 12804.10. It clearly states you can drive ANY motorhome under 40 feet with a Class C. This is a little used area of law and many cops may not be familiar with it. CHP should be, but even they can't know every law.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

PCarnathan
Explorer
Explorer
vegasfoodguy wrote:

"There is no Medical required for Non commercial class B."

If that's the case, I wonder why the California DMV sent me a notice telling me to get a new medical form filled out for my Class B Non-Commercial license? I had a routine appointment scheduled anyway, so I took the form to my doctor and he filled it out in a few seconds. No muss, no fuss.

You can be snarky and say the licensing requirements are a good reason to stay out of California, but think about it: I am trained, tested and medically certified to drive my 43-foot RV. I would worry a great deal more driving in a state where all you have to have is an automobile license and a pulse.

Pat in Menifee, CA
2009 Mandalay 43A
2009 Honda CR-V Toad
2011 Toyota Tacoma
2013 Honda Goldwing
2003 Honda TRX400ex (2)
2005 Honda Aquatrax F12-X (2)
2016 Yamaha YXZ1000R

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
msmith I agree with your interpretation but, that dang but, when I researched with the CHP they hit me with the start of 12804.1, "Notwithstanding any other provision of law". They refered me back to 12804.9 which has the 26,000 lbs. and under requirement. Their stance was you had to meet all levels of 12804.9 not just one. They interpreted you had to check off each item to be legal with each license classification hence the "Notwithstanding any other provision of law". Meeting the under 40' was good but still had to meet the weight, not one or the other.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whenever I try and post the text of the actual law it won't let me for some reason. There is some issue with copying the text here for some reason.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was quoting from section 12804.9 which is a little murky. If I had just read the very next section, 12804.10 I would have seen it is very clear and in California you can drive ANY motorhome under 40 feet in length was a Class C.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
For questions like this I don't understand why folks don't just go to the correct agency and ask. As we can see with all these answers.... everyone has different interpretations.

As do the agencies in CA. In my research the DMV, the CHP, and my local PD'S DOT division came up with different interpretations of the same written codes. From the point of view of each agency their interpretations were understandable, defensible, but not necessarily the same.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
For questions like this I don't understand why folks don't just go to the correct agency and ask. As we can see with all these answers.... everyone has different interpretations.

The correct answer is here, you just have to sort through and figure it out. It's like a puzzle.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raider-Rider wrote:
bigbillsd wrote:
I copyied this from another forum I posted it to prior to buying my 40QDP in January.

I spent a few hours at the California DMV and then a local CHP office today confirming what the real license requirements are for a 40' motorhome in CA.
The 4 DMV offices were of no help. The License office, Driver Safety office, DMV Investigation office and the regular DMV office. All came back with they weren't actually sure what the handbook meant. While at the Safety office a local SDPD officer heard my questions and suggested I stop by a local CHP office. That was then my next stop. I spent an hour with a awesome CHP officer that looked up each of my questions in the vehicle code book. (a very large book!)

Here is what we found out:
California Class C license is all that is needed up to 40' "housecar" in CA.
They are exempt from the Class C 26k weight restriction
They are exempt from any Air Brake certification.
No extra braking requirement for the Toad, unless from 20 MPH it takes more than 50' to stop.
Also, if the manufacturer calls it a 40' motorhome on the plate, then even if its 41', its still licensed as a 40' motorhome.

I hope this helps others in CA as it was a confusing mess from the CA docs and all the info showing it both ways on all the forums I looked at over the last few months. BTW. The CA DMV uses the term housecar, not motorhome. Go figure.. -Bill

Thank You Bill. That looks like very good information. You have saved me many hours of research. My only real issue was wanting to avoid the bi-annual medical certification. Thanks again.

Mike

There is no Medical required for Non commercial class B.
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
And something else to consider if you just want to go get the non-commercial Class B for your motorhome that isn't over 40 feet, you are probably going to have to borrow a motorhome that is over 40 feet to take the driving test. You have to take the test in the type of vehicle you are going to be licensed to drive, so even if I wanted a Class B I can't get one since my motorhome is 36 feet overall, unless I borrowed one over 40'.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4