cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving Backwards through the Truck Lanes

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday morning, I became "that guy." I ran out of DEF fluid and couldn't get the bulk hose at Loves to reach to the other side of the coach to fill the tank. The hose was only about 10 feet long. So I hopped in the coach, pulled forward while my wife blocked the lane and made a big U turn to come back into the lane the other way around.

Fortunately, it was Sunday morning and the lanes were only 70% occupied, but I had to get DEF and couldn't figure out a better way at the time.

I was wondering if any of you have the same problem with the DEF tank on the wrong side and have figured out an elegant solution to the problem.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
20 REPLIES 20

AidenJ
Explorer
Explorer
96bounder wrote:
JamesBr wrote:
So 2014 Peterbuilt, 2015 Dodge, 2014 Hino, and a 2014 Ford MDT all of them have the tank on the passanger side. We are talking 19-26k gross chassis and they all come that way from the factory, where all built specifically to be use in fleets (towing in the cases I listed.) Yet even at Quarrels, all the DEF pumps are setup for drivers side filling. It is not just the RV world, its even the MDT world.

The 2014 International school buses also have the DEF fill on passenger side.

I've yet to drive a full size school bus that the fuel fill was anywhere but the passenger side. We just pull in on the wrong side.
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
PFGuil49 wrote:
Hey (light bulb just went off) I recognize this rig and toad. Was it at French Quarter RV Resort in New Orleans for the Thanksgiving Holiday with 2 bicycles in the bed of the toad? Beautiful Rig.

Fitz.
Yes, that was us.
`

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Why not keep a 2.5 gallon container you can buy off the shelf in your rear bay? I never buy at the fuel pump. Never have that worry.

PFGuil49
Explorer
Explorer
Hey (light bulb just went off) I recognize this rig and toad. Was it at French Quarter RV Resort in New Orleans for the Thanksgiving Holiday with 2 bicycles in the bed of the toad? Beautiful Rig.

Fitz.

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
JamesBr wrote:
So 2014 Peterbuilt, 2015 Dodge, 2014 Hino, and a 2014 Ford MDT all of them have the tank on the passanger side. We are talking 19-26k gross chassis and they all come that way from the factory, where all built specifically to be use in fleets (towing in the cases I listed.) Yet even at Quarrels, all the DEF pumps are setup for drivers side filling. It is not just the RV world, its even the MDT world.

The 2014 International school buses also have the DEF fill on passenger side.
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
univmd wrote:
After the u-turn, do you have to do another huge u-turn afterwards to avoid backing up with toad?
Yep, exactly what we did. I wanted to weigh the coach, but couldn't because it was too sharp of a turn.
`

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
After the u-turn, do you have to do another huge u-turn afterwards to avoid backing up with toad?
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Would a 4' hose and funnel work?

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I think they're moving the DEF to the driver's side on a lot of the rear radiator coaches, but it's more of an issue to move on the side radiator coaches.

Unless you're a full timer, I don't see DEF as a big issue. We do both large and small trips and just refill the DEF at home, at my leisure. Even if you are a full timer, the DEF will go several thousand miles, so I don't see how you run out, unless you refuse to fill the tank with anything but a hose at a truck stop.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I am lucky here, no DEF required on a 1997 American Dream, it is on my 2015 F-350 though and on the driver's side.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
My brother's new 2014 Tiffin Allegro RED has the DEF on the driver's side rear like ELIAS.

Prevost moved the DEF tank filler to be right under the Diesel filler behind the same door on the driver's side. Previously, they were located on the right rear of the coach.

The only small issue for us is, is that the fillers are mid-way down the side of the coach and I have to stick the nose of the coach pretty far out. If a semi doesn't pull up far enough, it could present a problem.

I've not put in DEF yet as I still have just under 3/4 of a tank. We'll be leaving in a couple of weeks heading West so I will have my 'first' experience of filling with DEF. Yeah!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry a couple 1 gallon jugs and fill them at the pump every couple stops.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Elias
Explorer
Explorer
The def tank on my 2015 Tiffin Phaeton is on the drivers side rear.