cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving with the Allison Automatic Transmission

BIGBIRD130
Explorer
Explorer
We are renting a 2008 42' Tiffin Allegro Bus with the Allison Automatic Transmission
Is there anything special you need to know about using it?
I've driven a tractor trailer but that was a 10 speed standard
Thanks for any help
2007 GMC Envoy Denali
28 REPLIES 28

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
No reason to switch to N for stop lights. It takes a much more extended time in grid lock before the tranny temp starts any significant rise.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
One thing you will notice is that the engine develops so much HP and torque even at idle that holding in gear with brake is not particularity easy and the tranny will generate quite a bit of heat.

It pays to kick the tranny into "N" at stop lights.

Agree. The only time my trans temp has risen was when we were on the interstate, there was an accident and the traffic stopped. Put the trans in neutral and it immediately cooled down.
2014 American Eagle

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing you will notice is that the engine develops so much HP and torque even at idle that holding in gear with brake is not particularity easy and the tranny will generate quite a bit of heat.

It pays to kick the tranny into "N" at stop lights.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

bycrackey
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Need to downshift manually going up hills and mountains unless you want to go really really slow.

its a 425ISL and has lots of power plus its not a Exhaust Brake
its a 2 stage engine brake.Big difference!
Have the person leasing it to u explain how and when to use this function.For the most part just leave the trans in D for 99% of your driving

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My gasser has a 5 Speed Allison, in my case the MODE switch is labeled "Grade Brake".. if yours is then post and we will describe its operation to you. otherwise..

I mostly put it in "D" and let it do it's job.. I've driven over mountains and flat land and I just let it do it's thing. I've not noticed it dropping below the torque curve before it shifts but then it has a GM engine in front of it and it's kind of hard to drop below the torque curve on those.

It works well.

There are some places where I will downshift.. Mostly because in the RV parks the speed limit is 5-15 MPH and I very much need to keep it in low.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I think the the most important thing to learn is how to use the exhaust brake on downhill grades to control you speed whereby you don't overheat the service brakes causing them to overheat and fail!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
All correct opinions except that the Allison 3000 and 4000 series lock up at higher RPM in SECOND gear, not first gear.

And as you can see, you can either "let it do its own thing" or you can use the up/down arrows to proactively choose a gear.

It will not do anything that would endanger the engine or transmission. Said another way, down arrowing to 1st at 60 MPH would cause the transmission to downshift one gear, until road speed lowered to where it was safe to downshift again-- all the way to first.

Particularly if you want to treat it like a manual transmission and YOU select the gear, push the MODE button which selects economy mode. That allows the engine to upshift earlier and downshift later (exactly what the engine manufacturers recommend for economic driving. Then if you see a steeper grade, use the down arrow to select a lower gear.

OR, if you want, just let it in "D". Gears and gear changes will be OK, but not ideal, since the transmission is REactive (responding to what is behind you), not PROactive (responding to what is in front of you).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer we crossed the Continental Divide...put it in "D" and never touched it. Going down the other side, used the engine brake, never touched the service brakes. Great transmission.
2014 American Eagle

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thunder Mountain wrote:
I have a couple of comments about the 6 speed Allison in my '07 Endeavor. On flat ground like Kansas, just put it in D and go to sleep. However, if you are in mountainous areas you my need to do a little shifting on your own. The tranny can't "see" that long grade that will have it downshifting a couple of gears before reaching the top. By the time the tranny decides to downshift, you are behind the torque curve. Or you can just sit back if you really aren't in a hurry.

X-2, also on flat land I set the tranny in Drive/Economy mode.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Need to downshift manually going up hills and mountains unless you want to go really really slow.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

jgolden
Explorer
Explorer
Just push the "D" to go and the "N" to park. Mine is a little older but generally the Engine brake and the tranny work together. Mine will shift up to avoid over Rev on the Engine the newer may be a little different but I doubt if is much.

Get a good idea of how the systems work, Leveling jacks, slides ect, don't leave home with out the operational manuals for all the systems. Get schooled up on hookups when you are in a campground.

No doubt you know this part, but find out how high it is.

Have a good trip. Kind of chilly again in the Capitol district.
2016 Newmar BayStar Sport Ford F53 chassis down sized from :2001 Newmar MountainAire 350Cummins ISC,Spartan, 2015 GMC Terrain

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a couple of comments about the 6 speed Allison in my '07 Endeavor. On flat ground like Kansas, just put it in D and go to sleep. However, if you are in mountainous areas you my need to do a little shifting on your own. The tranny can't "see" that long grade that will have it downshifting a couple of gears before reaching the top. By the time the tranny decides to downshift, you are behind the torque curve. Or you can just sit back if you really aren't in a hurry.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
mostly you just ignore it and it does it's thing.
It will not allow you to over-rev, it will upshift regardless of what you tell it to do.
With the exhaust brake switched on it will seek to second when it can, and it will bring the rpms higher than it does under power, this is normal and not a worry.
The exhaust brake works pretty well, but not like the jake in your truck.

They lock up the torque converter at the top of first, just prior to shifting to second gear. Kinda feels like a "double shift" or like something is slipping. Threw me at first, but have been assured it is normal.

I never shift manually, just put it in drive, and use the exhaust brake switch as needed.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find out the operation of the exhaust brake and the default tranny gear.

Aside from that the Allison is pretty smart. There is a mode button that enables different shift parameters allowing you to lug the engine for increased economy.

You might also have the owner explain how to check the fluid level using the keypad.

Have fun and enjoy.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad