cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dropping a gas tank

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Well I started to drain the fuel tank to change the fuel hoses and the filler hose. While it's been draining I started to really look at the strapping and the bolts. Well I only have about 5/8" on each side between the tank and the frame. The filler hose flange sticks out into the frame so it looks like it's going to be a squeeze play to get the tank to drop down. To those that have done this job have you ran into this same scenario? Was it as difficult as it appears to be? Are the hoses on top long enough for the tank to drop down far enough to easily replace them. And finally there is no way to cut a hole in the floor to access the top of the tank. My black and grey tanks are directly over the tank.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.
11 REPLIES 11

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Which brings up another question. Should I consider changing out the fuel pump while it's down? 46K miles on it and 24 years old. With past experiences I know the engine's fuel pump will keep me going if the rear stops pumping.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck, be SAFE!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
A thread about dropping an F53 tank with pictures

(Yeah not a Chevy, but thought it might help)
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
3T's in Lake Havasu City, AZ. did my tank in 2010 with a floor jack and straps!

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
My 90 GeorgieBoy Cruise Master was on the JohnDeere/Oshkosh chassis.( Ford 460) I lowered the 90gal. gas tank by using long sections of all-thread to replace the bolts, with washers and double nuts to support the tank. Used floor jack and 3/4 ply under tank.
I was able to get the tank below the frame and then tip the tank enough to replace the wires that the squirrels had eaten at the top of the tank.
Have seen several discussions on cutting a hole from above to get to the tank, I've not heard of any success. Most end up with a frame or obstruction in the wrong place.
Good luck...
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Typically the wider straps with the big handle ratchet will ratchet on extend and tightening. A little more expensive, but they are a little easier to use.
IRV2

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
I could see ratchet straps for lifting but not lowering. I do have some knuckle straps i guess that would work.
Brian
Livingston Co.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Brian,

A floor jack is the hard way. Find a Hazard Fright and a coupon and get the set of 10$ cargo straps (20$ without the coupon) to raise and lower the tank. This is much easier, the straps don't keep you from getting under the tank and you can raise lower and hit the fuel fill more easily.

My coach is much older and I have had to redo the fuel lines several times. So, this last time I did everything over the tank in Ployarmor.

Matt - near DTW
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
The straps and bolts for the tank are completely accessible. I was planing on using a modified floor jack to lower it.

mnoeltne
Explorer
Explorer
It shouldn't be a problem if you have the right sockets and extensions to reach the mounting bolts in the restricted space.

When I dropped my tank, I modified the tray on my transmission jack to support the tank, and just dropped it straight down after removing the bolts.

Once you drop it about 6" or so, try to watch for stretched hoses. I had to watch the genset hose closely on mine.
Mark & Joyce Noeltner
2005 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
When it was time to change my in tank fuel pump, I looked around the garage an found the straps that I used to secure my dirt bikes to the trailer. Hooked 2 straps to the frame on each side and then hooked the straps together under the tank. Undone the bolts an metal straps holding the tank up and lowered the tank with the bike straps. They worked equally well to lift the tank back up. No jack or lumber required.
You may have to lower one side of the tank more than the other to clear the frame with the filler neck.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson