Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Duo-Therm A/C Clicking - Will not turn on

hdougj
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I have a roof mounted A/C with wall mounted thermostat. It is a Dometic Duo-Therm unit. When I flip the thermostat to A/C, I can hear it click in the A/C but nothing happens. I can get the furnace to click on from the thermostat which leads me to believe it is something wrong with the A/C it self.

I have taken the cover off of the A/C unit and the fuse is good. Just when I flip the thermostat to A/C it clicks and nothing happens.

Anyone have any insight or familiar with these units?
11 REPLIES 11

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
hdougj wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
From his description of the problem----HE HAS NO 120 POWER TO THE AC UNIT. If he had 120 power to the unit and the roof top control board clicks, then even IF he had a capacitor problem, BOTH the Fan and Compressor CAPs would not have failed. Either the Fan comes on or the compressor. Since neither does, he has no 120 power to the top unit. Doug

Just a quick update. I went up there and visually inspected the capacitors. They both looked great. Took a multimeter up there and had no power going to any of the wires. I have a completely different fuse panel for just my A/C that I never knew about. It is not part of the regular panel which explains why I never noticed it wasn't flipped. Thank you for all of your help.

This points to a problem with forums. Rarely do the respondents READ and understand the complaint in its complete reading. For novices asking for help, off the wall repairs are rarely needed. KISS, is the BEST answer to most complaints. CHECK the easy simple things first. Part of my job, is talking to the customer and getting a full response on his complaints. THAT helps me zero in on the actual problem. NOT waste time doing off the wall check outs and tests. Which saves the customer money. Doug

hdougj
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
From his description of the problem----HE HAS NO 120 POWER TO THE AC UNIT. If he had 120 power to the unit and the roof top control board clicks, then even IF he had a capacitor problem, BOTH the Fan and Compressor CAPs would not have failed. Either the Fan comes on or the compressor. Since neither does, he has no 120 power to the top unit. Doug

Just a quick update. I went up there and visually inspected the capacitors. They both looked great. Took a multimeter up there and had no power going to any of the wires. I have a completely different fuse panel for just my A/C that I never knew about. It is not part of the regular panel which explains why I never noticed it wasn't flipped. Thank you for all of your help.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a recent post with more info on this subject. It's a common problem and the capacitor can still LOOK good but is not. For less than $20 it's worth having a spare one. Easy fix after you short the contacts with a screwdriver before removing.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Google 'bad capacitor picture' and you might see what one will look like when 'popped'.

You can buy a $39 amp meter that clamps over one AC power wire, and will tell you the amperage going through it from Lowes Hardware.

You can also buy the $89 model that will also measure DC amperage by clamping over one wire. So it measures AC or DC amperage, just clamp it over the wire.

Both have a 'capacitance' checker, and you could remove both wires from the capacitor (with power unplugged from the RV) and test it. If it reads 35 Mfd,or whatever the capacitor is rated at, then it is good. I have replaced a LOT of bad capacitors, including one on my sister's A/C unit at her home.

With the system set to AC amps, and one wire to the compressor in the jaws, then have someone turn on the unit from below. If the capacitor was good, and the amperage is over 5 amps for a few seconds, but the compressor still does not come on, you probably have a bad compressor. You can confirm this by ohms to ground. Anything over 7,000,000 or 7.0Mohm, you will be OK. Something less, and you are likely to need a new compressor.

Considering it would take me 4 - 6 hours to install a compressor, and cost me at least $400, and that I can only warranty the replacement compressor for about 30 days labor or 90 days parts, you might as well spend $750 and get a new unit with full warranty!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

hdougj
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all of the fast input. I will head up there in the morning and report back with what I find

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
My start capacitor was the problem with mine when it did what yours is doing. I took the cover off the roof a/c and checked the start capacitor. Mine had a terminal broken off the end.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

hdougj
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hooked up to a 50 amp.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of power are you hooked up to...?
Are in in an RV park with 30a or hopefully 50a power or are you plugged in at home to a garage outlet?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like the start capacitor is bad. About a $20 fix. Use caution removing the capacitor as they "hold" a charge, even with the power OFF. Use an insulated screwdriver to ground two of the posts before handling. Easy fix but use caution...make sure power is OFF to the A/C unit as well...good luck...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't had a Duo-Therm for years, but is there a black canister (starting capacitor) about 4" long with 4 spade connections? If so look at the 1/4"-5/16" hole close to the spade connections that has what looks like wax paper inside it. If it shows evidence of the paper bursting, the capacitor is bad and will need to be replaced.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog