cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVR

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone put a multi-channel DVR in their rig to record road travel? My Newmar has the rear and side mirror cameras, and if I read right, those are analog feeds that are being used.

If I put in a unit that has loop thru, or use a distribution amplifer per camera I can get the video to record without having to lose the feeds when I need them.

Thoughts? Just trying to have evidence for the eventuality of an accident. Much of my towing a trailer and now driving an RV down the road has shown the utter disregard the common commuter has for those of us off to recreate in our various toys. When the next balding jerk in a sportscar decides to cut me off to make an exit, and I accidentally crush is car into his tomb, I want video evidence to clear me.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD
8 REPLIES 8

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
Actually a solid state drive would work fine.

I will put a dash cam in as well, I don't have a forward facing camera.

And as far as recording goes, the unit stays hidden. If someone wants to see my footage, get a subpoena. I drive plenty careful, and I'm worried about the nut jobs that see RVs as an impediment to their right to drive like a maniac. I want to have hard evidence as to why a dummy found the pearly gates that day.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't want a DVR that uses a hard drive in a moving vehicle. That is what most of the multi-channel security systems use. Hard drives having moving parts and you aren't supposed to bump them around while they are recording. Think of the needle on the hold record players when somebody would slam the door next to the record player. But as others have said, dashcams record to a memory card and have no moving parts. I bought one for my motorhome and with a 64gb memory card it records about 9 hours before looping back over it. And really, you don't need that much memory.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
A multi cameras recording
Will prove that you saw him coming
And did not prepare, for his return to your lane on front of you
Placing you at fault

Huh???

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Never thought the day would come where I am seriously considering a dash cam....
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

MrWizard
A multi cameras recording
Will prove that you saw him coming
And did not prepare, for his return to your lane on front of you
Placing you at fault
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
One of my neighbors has done what you are asking and used residential electronics from HFT. It has been a constant struggle to keep it operating.

Dash cams are selling 2 for $15.00 or $20.00. They are small unobtrusive and beats the complexity of a multi channel DVR and the equipment to interface your built in cameras and the DVR.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Why not get a regular dash cam?

X2^^. They are inexpensive, easy to install, small, and reliable. We run one in each vehicle.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Why not get a regular dash cam?
Jerry Parr