cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E350 Super Duty Triton V10

Aussie_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
We are back for some more help trying to sort out issues with this camper which has sat for a couple of years unused by our in-laws.

The vehicle makes a tick, tick, ticking noise on start up when it's cold - we have travelled from Phoenix beginning of June with no issue with this, however we are now in Anchorage, Alaska and it happens almost daily.

Could it be oil not getting to tappets/lifters and is it a concern ?

Cheers
13 REPLIES 13

Little_Outpost
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked into the weight of the motor oil? Going from a warm climate to a cooler one might have something to do with the tapping noise until the oil warms up and thins out.
Rick
2010 Coachmen Leprechaun 318DS
Ford 6.8L V-10

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aussie Travellers

So what was the problem and what became of it?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
mogman wrote:
V-10 is an overhead cam engine, so no lifters to stick.

If the "tick"noise subsides as the engine warms up, most likely culprit is an exhaust leak at a header...broken bolt.

The V10 does have lifters, to automatically adjust valve lash (Asian over-head cam motors required adjustments, even up into the 2000's). They are hydraulic, so unless there's an oil quality problem they rarely have issues, and as I mentioned above, I agree with your assessment its probably an exhaust leak.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
It'll be an exhaust manifold leak. The question is always..shall I fix it or not. And...it depends. It will allow more heat to escape from around the doghouse. The box, under which sits the motor..and that will be felt on the feet. However..there are two exhaust manifolds and they'll both have broken studs, and always the rear ones..the ones that are just a dirty nasty horrible job to replace. The Ford book says it's a heads off job...25 hrs per side. A good shop will get the job done from underneath but it is still a bunch of money. Like maybe $2,500 to 3 grand for both.

I can give you the name of a guy in Vanderhoof that can do the job. He did one side of mine and ran out of time to do the other. I had the other done here in Penticton a month ago.

Whoever you have do the job...they need to know what they are doing. Not get part way into it and shrug..and tell you they can't finish the job. It really is a mean, big job. And filthy. It has someone welding nuts onto studs and backing them out..maybe.

Someone in Alaska should be able to get it done..but ask around. Ask a NAPA store who they might recommend. Or..just leave it and drive it the way it is. It won't quit on you.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

mogman
Explorer
Explorer
V-10 is an overhead cam engine, so no lifters to stick.

If the "tick"noise subsides as the engine warms up, most likely culprit is an exhaust leak at a header...broken bolt.
'15 Ford Transit 250, 3.5 ecoboost, 3:73 ls
'12 Lance 1685

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Aussie_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the replies.

We have a few things to work with, and will let you know the outcome.

Graeme

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Aussie Travellers wrote:
We are back for some more help trying to sort out issues with this camper which has sat for a couple of years unused by our in-laws.

The vehicle makes a tick, tick, ticking noise on start up when it's cold - we have travelled from Phoenix beginning of June with no issue with this, however we are now in Anchorage, Alaska and it happens almost daily.

Could it be oil not getting to tappets/lifters and is it a concern ?

Cheers

Don't get cheated by a starving mechanic, go to a muffler repair shop and have them check the exhaust manifold, sounds more like a exhaust leak, if it checks out OK than drain the oil and add 6 quarts of transmission fluid and run motor at idle for a hour than drain trans fluid in motor and fill with oil.

Trans fluid in motor lubricates while cleaning out all gunk, don't forget the oil filter.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely (and kinda common): Exhaust manifold leak. Probably has a broken stud or three.

Good excuse to go Banks!
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like an exhaust leak, also might just be exhaust heat shield. On our previous E-450 V10 MH, it made those sounds when cold. Dick

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some causes that I've encountered are:

1. Sticking or bad lifter
2. Exhaust leak
3. One time it was a timing chain (318 Plymouth). We tore the engine down and replaced the lifters and exhaust gaskets. Put it back together and when we started it up it was still making noise. We pulled the timing chain cover off and saw that the timing chains was badly stretched and hitting the cover. It made a noise just like a bad lifter.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go by Different Strokes of Alaska. They're a long time Ford diesel shop working on Power Stroke engines, but they do gas also. Go inside and see if Ron, the owner is there. He'll come outside and take a listen to it for you and give you his opinion.

Ron Stout
Different Strokes of Alaska
6620 Arctic Spur Road
Anchorage, AK 99518
907/562-3673

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to say without hearing it, but I would guess a sticking lifter.
I would add some marvel mystery oil to the crankcase oil.
I've seen that work dozens of times.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo