cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E450 superduty front window curtain size

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi, our RV is in storage a long way from us and when we next collect it we are going to move the storage out West. At present we get free mains power plug in for our battery maintainer, but when we move we will need to fit a front window solar trickle charger. We want to make and fit new inner curtains tight against the front and 2 side door windows to stop the heat, allowing the solar unit to be between the window and curtain.

Please would someone be kind enough to measure their E450 superduty window sizes width and full depth tight against the bottom of the window as we want to protect the dash from the sun. (Tried looking at the external thermal curtains for sale but none have the actual measurements)

Greatly appreciated,thanks
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com
12 REPLIES 12

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
ronfisherman wrote:
Best way to keep heat out is from the outside.
https://www.amazon.com/ADCO-2407-Windshield-Cover/dp/B0002F68JK
Put solar panel on roof or hood.

Whilst i believe solar on the roof is best the problem as already said is that our RV is left in storage for long periods of time and we live in the UK so no chance to check up on it. All my solar panels I put on the ground externally due to the risk of a roof leak not being found for a long time with consequential damage and the same applies for external screens if they come loose/flap/damage etc.
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I use weathertech in mine.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
the outside ones are a PIA to put on take off then there is storage issue to roll up and put away. Bought and tried one and put it in storage out of way. Look nice but are just too much hassle to install. The one we use from the car shades work a lot easier, wife slips into cab area and has them up in a minute or 2. As to the suction cups losiing their holding power some ice cream sticks stuck in window channel solves that issue!

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
The ideal would be to put the panels on the roof and have a MPPT charge controller feeding the house battery bank. That way, you don't have to think about it.

I would agree, the sunshade that fits on the outside is best.

ronfisherman
Best way to keep heat out is from the outside.
https://www.amazon.com/ADCO-2407-Windshield-Cover/dp/B0002F68JK
Put solar panel on roof or hood.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
stripit wrote:
I bought one of these for the car, then the other car, then the Motorhome. Love it as it is always in place and you just pull the two halves together and the shade is in place. Pull it apart and they go back to being out of the way. Eclipse Sunshade

Thanks they look good and always a possibilty. We would still like to make our own as not only a lot cheaper but the material we can get is a full black out

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
We have used ones from https://www.heatshieldstore.com. Made for both front and side windows. Uses the visors to hold the front one in place and suction cups on the sides. Maybe a bit spendy for some but we really like them.

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hank85713 wrote:
We use a truck size sun screen from one of the auto stores. Covers the front and is reflective to keep sun out and some heat. For the side windows I used another and cut it in half and then folded as needed. I did add some suction cups to keep all tight to window but they eventually dry out. For the front I just put the visors down, sides just cut a little bigger and push into window channels.

Make akk for less than $10 and are less hassle than curtains.

Good idea but as you say the cups will dry out and it will fall at some time and being elsewhere we will not know which is why we want to make a good solid fixture

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
sch911 wrote:
I would think that most any Ford dealer or RV dealer near you would have an Econoline or two that you could measure, have you thought about that?

Yes thanks we have, unfortunately we are in the UK and these vehicles are not in Europe - E450

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one of these for the car, then the other car, then the Motorhome. Love it as it is always in place and you just pull the two halves together and the shade is in place. Pull it apart and they go back to being out of the way. Eclipse Sunshade
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that most any Ford dealer or RV dealer near you would have an Econoline or two that you could measure, have you thought about that?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
We use a truck size sun screen from one of the auto stores. Covers the front and is reflective to keep sun out and some heat. For the side windows I used another and cut it in half and then folded as needed. I did add some suction cups to keep all tight to window but they eventually dry out. For the front I just put the visors down, sides just cut a little bigger and push into window channels.

Make akk for less than $10 and are less hassle than curtains.