cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Early 90's Class A --which brand best to buy?

Mrsmoos
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a decent motorhome to take a few 3-4 hour (one way) trips a few times a year in. We have been looking at early 90's class A which is about in our price range (under $9,000). We have seen advertised a lot of brands--Winnebago, Southwind, Pace Arrow, Bounder, Suncrest etc. I understand Suncrest's maker is out of business. So that made me think is there a better brand/model to buy where parts will be available? And someone said Bounder is the "upper end" of Fleetwood. So does anyone have info and advice for us?
23 REPLIES 23

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
With most motor homes they are built on a couple of standard chassis ( Gm Ford Deere ). The components that go into them are off the shelf from other manufactures. The only issue you may have is finding body parts and lamp assy's. My 25 year old Georgie Boy is built on a P-32 GM chassis. Most of the parts for it can still be found. But things like motor home manufactures add on parts like the fuel tank is a little trickier to deal with. If you are handy, usually these things aren't to much of a problem. One thing to look for is delamination. That can be a real downer. I bought mine in 2000, a year later I noticed the back corner had ants going into it. I freaked out and was pretty upset. I did what I had to do to get rid of the ants, and sprayed a sealer in between the fiber glass and the wood and was able to screw the back corner trim on and sealed that up. That was 14 years ago and today it's still there. The motor home still rolls down the road and gets us to where we want to go. With the maintenance that I stay up with , I would not have a problem taking it across country.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Why a propane generator? Most I've seen are on older diesel motorhomes, haven't seen one in a gas powered motorhome as you have listed, but they could be out there.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Condition, condition, condition.
Don't get too hung up on the make/model.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
At 25yrs old, brand is pretty much irrelevant. It's about how it has been maintaned.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mrsmoos
Explorer
Explorer
So is there a "ranking" of Fleetwood" motorhomes? like bounder are the best, then Pace Arrow is a step down? We are no seeing any of the above named Rvs in our price range BTW. We may go look at a 92 Pace Arrow that has been kept inside when not being used. It's main problem? The speedometer doesn't work and the dash air needs to be recharged. it has 70k miles, new tires, brakes and supposedly the tires are upgraded to wider tires for more stability. The generator runs off gasoline. we were hoping for a propane one.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's a real disservice to recommend a certain brand. What I would look for is a coach with the best floor plan that suits your needs regardless of brand! Good Luck in your search!

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
At that age, who made it is less important then who maintained it and how well.

I have seen a one year old $250,000 rig that that had been trashed and was maybe worth $10,000

I have also seen a Fleetwood that was 20 years old and looked like it had just left the factory.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
also might look at airstream mh. I had a 94 and it was a good riding coach. chevy chassie. easy to work on. it was used when we bought it and had it for 5 years, then bought a 2013 coachman. Airstream had better workmanship. now they no longer make them, but a good older coach. just watch out for any unit with roof leaks.lots of hidden damage there.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to look at used Dolphin or Tropi-cal's built by National RV and/or Allegro coaches built by Tiffin also Dutch & Country Stars built by Newmar.

All built decent quality coaches in the 90's

Good luck on your search....
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad