cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Motorhome steps

Shuckapeafarms
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1991 Holiday Rambler 33' Alumalite Black Hills Edition. I noticed a while back my battery kept going dead but the motorhome was just sitting. Recently I replaced the battery and soon after it was almost dead. I put my charger on it and while walking around the motorhome I heard this strange sound coming from under the motorhome right where the steps are located. I crawled under and sure enough, the step motor was running but nothing was happening. I shut the switch off inside but it didn't stop the motor. Closed the door and it stopped.
I pulled the assembly off and took it completely apart. There were no striped gears, everything looked pretty good and when I put it back together you cannot turn the thing by hand so I know the gears are meshing like they should. Put it back on-same thing! Motor runs but nothings happening within the rest of the unit. If I grab hold of one of the linkages I can feel it's trying to do something.
I don't understand what's happening here. It acts like a striped gear but I can assure you I checked them all very closely and there were no damage on any of them. It took a bit of finiggling putting the work gear shaft back through the motor brushes but after a half hour of severe cussing, it went back together. I'm sure they must have some specialized tools in the factory but I mastered it with one strand of #12 automotive wire to secure the brush on each side and then put a screw driver in the worm gear to keep the magnetic force from the armeture from sucking the shaft back out1 A little back yard ingenuity but hey, it worked!
I would be very thankful for any suggestion or where I might find replacement parts.I was told they are nothing more than windshield wiper motors but after contacting the manufacturer in Oregon, they stated highly unlikely!
8 REPLIES 8

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a few notes I've collected over the years in case I ever have to buy a step motor. These are copied from various posts on rv.net. Maybe one of these part numbers will work for you.

Fred

Kwikee step motor replacement โ€“ 86-95 Taurus LF window motor
NAPA BK665-1395
AutoZone Dorman 742-206 Check last digit may be 5 or 10
also see dormanproducts.com

Ford part E9SB6323394AB ford 87-88 tbird 87-88 cougar 88-93 lincon contenintal
Dorman 742-211 This works with my motor assembly 9504

The Actual Motors are Identical Left to Right. It is the Transmission that is different. These Motors were used in Ford, GM and Chrysler Vehicles and can be found at pretty much any Auto Wreckers or Pick a Part Type place used and Any Auto Parts Store Brand New!

A 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99.

Just replaced my 25 series Kwikee step motor with a Dorman 742-277 window lift motor for a 1986 Ford Taurus driver side window lift motor. They said the Taurus had a high torqe motor which is why the number ends with 277 meaning high torqe. My steps zip in and out with this motor application. It was a special order item but only took one day for them to get it to my local AutoZone store. I also noticed AutoZone had rebuild kits for Dorman window lift gear boxes (plastic gears) in the Help section of the store.
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 steps on mine so it took a Lincoln LF motor. There is no limit switch to shut it off. That is controlled by the controller box that senses a stall in the motor and shuts off the power. This assumes you have Kwikee steps.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

I replaced mine a while back. It was a power window motor that fit several Ford products. $45--$50.

I replaced mine a while back. It was a power window motor that fit several Ford products. $45--$50.

backroads___
Explorer
Explorer
Agood sorce of parts for rv's is www.pplmotorhomes.com I've used them a couple of times and got good service and information..JB

beave
Explorer
Explorer
My step motor was a Ford window motor. I took mine into Auto Zone and they matched it to the correct unit, < $50.

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I believe that some of the stair motors are the same as those used in the power windows of vehicles. There should be some electrical limit switches that will shut the motor off when the stairs extend fully or retract fully. It appears that your stair motor is not shutting off when the stairs have reached their limit. Perhaps a wire has come loose or a connector is corroded and the signal to shut off the motor is not there.

X2

HR used the same motor and assembly used for power windows in cars. You should be able to find replacement parts at most automotive parts stores. Sorry, I can't recall what brand or model of car.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe that some of the stair motors are the same as those used in the power windows of vehicles. There should be some electrical limit switches that will shut the motor off when the stairs extend fully or retract fully. It appears that your stair motor is not shutting off when the stairs have reached their limit. Perhaps a wire has come loose or a connector is corroded and the signal to shut off the motor is not there.