Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Issues

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
Electrical Issues

so, our 2001 Tradeswinds, ran Genrac LP generator on Sunday, everything fine. Drove +/- 430 miles Monday, overnighted @Flying J, drove about 350 miles Tuesday, stopped, fueled up, ran inverter/microwave to heat dinner, started back up, drove another 120 miles. Got home @ 8:30pm, parked bus, no 12v interior anything would work, fridge off, no lights. Wednesday AM, start up bus, back into driveway, plug in 2 115v lines thru adapter, Progressive surge protector indicates good power, no power at all in bus (house side), no charger (Xantrax Freedom 458)...
Set up external battery charger, charge both house banks & top off chassis batteries.
Thursday, gonna start checking things..... now have house 12v & 115v power....charger running, GFCI in bathroom needed to be reset.

OK.......Gonna do an oil change on the Generac ... let's start her up & get her warm... only solenoid click...then tried Power Gear jacks... lights on panel, no pump.... They are on the same breaker... tried to re-set, doesn't seem to be tripped...
Went to front of Genny, shorted across solenoid terminals (large ones) starter spins, bendix doesn't engage.......

Any ideas where to go from here????
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ah,, The old chassis ground...That is like #3 on the suspect list. 1 is the other end of that same cable (Battery end) and 2 is the Positive end of the battery.

True story...

Five times my coach would not start with dead battery symptoms.

ONCE.. Some idiot left the headlights on (ME of course).

Three times.. I cleaned the POSITIVE terminal on the chassis and all was good

Once (after 9 years) I needed a new battery. Should need another one in .. oh,, about nine years.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: Well, I had told DW 2 weeks ago that I was going to remove all of the batteries, clean up all the terminals and reinstall it all.... So, between the raindrops and thunder today, that's what I did.... When I removed the 4 6v house batteries, I noticed the main ground (3/0 cable) from the house bank to the chassis had a problem... the ring terminal at the chassis was snapped in half!!! Completely separated... couldn't see it from the battery compartment... So, one new crimp on terminal later, I am back in business!!! Everything works!!! Thanks to all who offered insights and help.......
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
Well... an update... the jacks work......so that circuit breaker is good...Only problem left is the genny... when I try to start it, I get a rapid, loud clicking sound... I figured solenoid, so I jumped the large terminals... the starter motor spins, but the gear doesn't extend (bendix spring).. I'm calling my Generac repairman tomorrow...He'll figure it out in a few hundred dollars, I mean, minutes..

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the insights!!! I charged the house banks with my 15A portable smartcharger... both now show 100% (this was Thursday), plus the Xantrax Freedom 458 is now working fine... remote panel showing state of charge, etc.

How do I effectively check the square resettable circuit breaker that is common to the jacks & genny???

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Tinstar wrote:
First I'd check the house batteries. They sound completely dead to me.

+1 vote!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just found out something worked.. Different topic..

now to this topic:
Converter failure..May be caused by battery disconnect (Generator will not start because house batteries are dead)

May be a tripped circuit breaker.. Check both the breakers on the generator (LIkely one of them) and in your power distribution center.

May be blown fuses on converter (not likely)
may be failed converter (slightly more likely, but only slightly)

Most likely is generator breaker.

Couple of other possibilities including a screw loose.. (Many RVers have a few screws loose..The kind you tighten with a #2 Square Bit in all likely hood.. one of my breakers the screw that holds the wire neded over 3 full turns to tighten).

ANd other things too rare to mention at this time.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
First I'd check the house batteries. They sound completely dead to me.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Does your coach have a 12v cut off switch? Please read posts for salesman switch for more info.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014