cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Engine Coolant Change

Budb66
Explorer
Explorer
How important is it to flush the cooling system with distilled water? To flush my system 3 times would require 30 gallons plus the 5 gallons to achieve a 50% solution.
4 REPLIES 4

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
One possible solution is find a friend with a household reverse osmosis water system. Know anyone with a large saltwater fish tank? The hardcore fish owners will use filtered water in the tanks.

When I did my gas engine I only used distilled for the last flush and the dilution of the coolant concentrate. From what I understand with diesels depends on the engine. Water isn't a high cost item while shop labor is.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Doing two distilled water flushes on my 12V right now and granted it's only 4 gallons at a time but it is only $0.88 per gallon.

I wouldn't put tap water in a radiator.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Really depends on how hard your tap water is... If it's really 'hard', then you'll get calcium build up in the rad fins pretty fast..

Just gotta do what you gotta do... Flush with tap or distilled. Your choice.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had my Ford 6.0 flushed along with the Cat C7. A Ford diesesl specialty shop flushed the truck and Freightliner flushed the Cat. They both insisted on using a special flushing chemical and then flushed it once more with distilled water to get the chemical out. The chemical was to remove any rust particles which flushing with just distilled water won't do.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.