Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Engine heat

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2019 coachman leprechaun.26 ft
Have pretty strong heat from engine cover after running a about 1 hour.
Didn't ha e this issue when weather was cooler.
Only 6500 miles.
Any solutions?
Engine ford v 10 e450 chassis.

Heat guage reads normal...never over. Heats
12 REPLIES 12

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used to get hot foot before adding an extra layer of insulation on mine. It was about 1/2 in thick jute felt with aluminum foil on one side. Bought it at HD and was inexpensive. Some people use Dynamat made for auto hoods but it is much more expensive. It not only allows me to drive barefoot and really reduces cabin heat but it also quiets the engine noise dramatically.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stim wrote:
Common complaint with the Fords.
Get a spare fire extinguisher too!

Hmmm ... in warm weather I'd want to have the cool A/C system air coming out at my feet whether in a Ford, a Chevy, a Mercedes, or a whatever type chassis based Class C, and ... any Class C should have at least two fire extinguishers - one near the front and one near the back - to go along with doors in the front and at least a rear window that doubles as an emergency escape hatch! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
Common complaint with the Fords.
Get a spare fire extinguisher too!

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on keeping vents closed when using AC, put when using heat it coming from the engine which is being wasted anyway.
With an open vent in the back heats/cools the whole more even.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep ... Desert Captain nailed it above.

The first approach he mentioned above is what we do, except for one thing I describe in the next paragraph: After turning the air flow control to MIX so that cold air from the A/C comes out at the driver's and passenger's feet and windshield areas (so their feet and upper bodies are kept cool regardless of engine heat), I make sure that the A/C mode is set to MAX so that no outside air is used -> all air processed by the A/C is recirculated air from inside the interior. This makes the A/C way more effective since it is only processing already-cooled inside air instead of trying to continuously be cooling new hot air coming in from the outside.

The second approach suggested by D.C. we never do, because we keep the coach and cab completely closed up when traveling - no windows or vents open anywhere regardless of outside air temperatures. This goes along with keeping the A/C set to the MAX position so no outside air is used. The reason for this is to keep the RV's interior as clean as possible by blocking all dust that may be carried by any outside air when traveling.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try setting the "Mix" setting when you run the dash air. This directs cool air to the windshield, the defroster function, and to your feet. We like using either def or mix when driving when it is warm {not real hot}, just turn the temp setting to full cold and crank the fan setting up as much as you like. The cool air coming off of the windshield and at your feet {the mix setting} we find more comfortable than the dash vents.

Another way to attack the heat issue is to use the dash vents {Crank up the fan as needed} and open the rear coach vent which will pull the ac through the coach more efficiently taking most of the heat with it. We live in southern Arizona and have yet to have any serious heat issues on our 2012 E-350 {V-10} 24' Class C.

Works for us.

:C

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
how tall is the passenger? My wife is about 5 ft tall and said it gets hot. Did find the dog house was not reinstalled right, fixed it and was some help. Since she is short she uses a foot stool to keep feet up and off floor. says it really helps. Can get for $5 at some dollar stores or cw sells for about $20!

Talked with another guy and he said he added the insulation, more external muffler exhaust shields etc and still has issues. Said he added some flex tube from the AC to direct air to floor area. you might want to give it a try.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, the old V-10 sitting close to your knees problem. Previous owner added another carpeted floor mat under the original mat, that seems to keep a lot of it away. Also be

sure the "doghouse" is sitting properly and latched properly. If it was removed it may be off kilter. That's a lot of motor real close. I believe they could have done a better

job of using heat shields to deflect the exhaust heat away . I have considered fabricating an air dam to bring air up into the engine compartment that could mount

underneath. I could sell a million of them.

i have a polaris ranger side by side. That thing has horrible engine heat by your feet.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
take the dog house off buy the black dense foam insulation,got mine at a refrig dealer think the name is arm a flex 3/4in and glue the inside of the dog house. I also added a 12v high volume fan to suck air out of there . boat exhaust fans work great they are made to fit flex hose.run a toggle switch to the dash.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A C issue almost everyone has.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty normal, especially on the passenger side. Some folks have added additional insulation or heat shielding between the exhaust and floor.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use a fan to blow air past the cover.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.