cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Engine Oil

Bednarski1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Ford 2014 Sunseeker and I was wondering how many of you use a synthetic oil. I would like to start out with my first oil change using a synthetic. Thanks for all the good advice.
28 REPLIES 28

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I said that I would watch it was because of my 5.3 Vortec V-8 in my 2007 Chevy Avalanche.

That engine burns Mobile 1 but can go 3,000 miles with very little burn if I use 5W-30 dino oil.

So I'll watch the 6.0 in the Jamboree & see how it does.
2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Its_Hondo wrote:
I just did my 1st oil change on my 2005 Chevrolet 6.0.

Wal Mart had a 5 gallon jug of Mobil 1 5W-30 for about $25, so I decided to give it a try. I used a AC Delco filter though I usually use Purolators.

If the engine likes the oil & doesn't consume any, I'll stay with the Mobil 1 and change it every 6,000 miles (3,000 mile filter change) or each spring before the season starts.

If it uses any oil then I will try straight 5W-30 dino oil & see how it goes.
Don't think you will go wrong with Mobil 1. I use the Mobil 1 5w20 in my Ford V-10 E-450 Class C.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
I just did my 1st oil change on my 2005 Chevrolet 6.0.

Wal Mart had a 5 gallon jug of Mobil 1 5W-30 for about $25, so I decided to give it a try. I used a AC Delco filter though I usually use Purolators.

If the engine likes the oil & doesn't consume any, I'll stay with the Mobil 1 and change it every 6,000 miles (3,000 mile filter change) or each spring before the season starts.

If it uses any oil then I will try straight 5W-30 dino oil & see how it goes.
2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B

Lngbeard
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
I use Mobil 1 EP (Extended Performance) in our Class C's V10 engine. I switched from standard Mobil 1 to Mobil 1 EP some time ago.

I also use Mobil 1 EP in both of our motorhome's generators. Along with Mobil 1 EP, I also use special spark plugs in both generators. The generators run quieter, smoother, and probably more efficiently ... using both the synthetic oil and different spark plugs.

Can you tells me about the "Special" spark plugs please? Anything to quiet down that Onan.

rondi
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to know about oil--surf on over to Bobtheoilguy dot com

After reading a lot of stuff about oil and my E450 I decided to just do what Ford recommends--Use the Motorcraft Syn Blend with a Motorcraft filter. With a new engine starting with and staying with Ford Motorcraft Syn Blend oil is as good as it gets. After a few oil changes I will switch to 5-30 vs the more common 5-20 at WalMart. Hopefully I can find it.

My first oil change last month was at about 3300 miles. the V10 never lost a drop of oil. I picked it up at the manufacturer in Elkhart and drove the first 1000 miles never going above 60mph, and I didn't use cruise very much even on I80 because I tried to vary the speed, and let it coast every so often. I never had to jam on the brakes and I didn't drag start at the a stoplight I came to. IOW, it tried my best to drive it easy those first 1000 miles. After that--the kid gloves came off ๐Ÿ™‚

Ron

Bednarski1
Explorer
Explorer
It was driven out here to Ca. from Indiana and I've put a few hundred miles on it. I have not changed the oil. I plan to get it on the road more, but want to have the full synthetic in it before I do.

Calisdad
Explorer
Explorer
Bednarski1 wrote:
I have 2800 miles on it now and was planning on switching in the next couple weeks to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Should I wait a longer time to switch? What do you all think. Thanks for all the great advice.

Has it had an oil change yet? New engines should be changed at 500 to 1000 miles. Don't forget a good quality filter.

BTW- Tractor Supply sometimes has great deals on oil.

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
I switched to full synthetic with my first 6 month oil change before putting into storage this winter. Plan to change once a year with synthetic or 7500 miles if that happens to come first. I will only put 2-3000 miles a year on the Coach and can't see changing it more often. Store it with fresh oil in the pan in the fall and I am ready to roll come spring. I use whatever 'name brand' 5w-20 full synthetic is on sale at wally world and a motorcraft filter also purchased there. Current fill is with Valvoline full synthetic.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

Bednarski1
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2800 miles on it now and was planning on switching in the next couple weeks to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Should I wait a longer time to switch? What do you all think. Thanks for all the great advice.

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
I run synthetic in all our vehicles. Just switched the RV over few months ago. Typically go 10k/1 year (PP 5w20) on the cars and figure the 7.5k/2 year (Ultra 5w30) on the RV. I run synthetic for that reason.. less time under the vehicle! Just changed the Escape's valve cover gasket it looked like a brand new head. I would wait till 7.5-10k before running synthetic's.. let it break in some.
2005 Jayco Escapade 28ZSLP (3500 Chevy chassis)

gjcummings
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42: That Valvoline you are putting in, is is a low ash oil as is required by MB for your Sprinter (as Mobile 1 5w40 ESP is). I believe it is necessary for proper EGR Valve and other pollution reducing devices on the Sprinter.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Mobil 1 EP (Extended Performance) in our Class C's V10 engine. I switched from standard Mobil 1 to Mobil 1 EP some time ago.

I also use Mobil 1 EP in both of our motorhome's generators. Along with Mobil 1 EP, I also use special spark plugs in both generators. The generators run quieter, smoother, and probably more efficiently ... using both the synthetic oil and different spark plugs.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Call me crazy but I'd suggest you follow the manufacturer's instructions while that '14 is in warranty. Besides, those (many OPs here) who use the MotorCraft SynBlend Oil (and their brand of filter) haven't had complaints.
Ford's recommendation, Ford's change intervals, keep receipts. Sure, if something goes wrong, Ford "has to prove" that your deviation from their plan contributed to the problem, but why set up for a potential issue?

If the oil meets the spec Ford calls out for the vehicle they have nothing to complain about if there's a warranty claim.

As has been said be sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendation as to break in period before switching to syn (if any).

If you really want to get serious do a 1000 mile oil change before the first scheduled change. That will help get any extra manufacturing debris out of the motor.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Six months ago we bought our 2012 E-350 V-10 24' Nexus C. It had 6,205 miles on it and of course the dealer had just changed the oil so at 10,000 I switched to pure synthetic and won't look back. I hope to keep this rig for many years and going to full synthetic just seemed like the right way to go. I will be changing the oil at 7,500 mile intervals as it gets used year round and often, probably 15,000 miles a year. The V-10's do best with 5W20.
:C