cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entry Step

dgodinez
Explorer
Explorer
Do you bring in the entry step when storing for any amount of time? The reason I am asking is because when I cut power with battery disconnect switch and exit the vehicle, the step does not retract when the door closes. I was wondering what do other people do?
6 REPLIES 6

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I am in enclosed / protected storage - i raise the coach up on the jacks (to get a slight air gap under the tires, and prevent flat spotting) & i lock the step OUT.

when camping i lock the step out in camp as well. when traveling or stopping for fuel etc we leave the step in auto mode.

Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
If I am parking where the steps might get hit, rest area, truck stop, storage yard I keep them pulled in, otherwise I leave them out. In my prior coach I just jumped down after powering the coach down with the steps in. The current coach I can leave enough juice on to just leave the steps in the on mode so they close when the door is closed. Solar panels make up the parasitic loads in the coach easily.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

BobnMelba
Explorer
Explorer
My battery disconnect and coach shut off switch is by the door so I stand on the ground outside the door and take a small magnet and hold it next to the switch on the door jamb (this "tricks" the steps into thinking the door is closed) and the steps retract. As soon as the steps are retracted I pull the disconnect and turn off the coach power switch. The steps will stay in then.

The thing to remember is that when you turn the power on the step will extend so watch your shins!

Bob

dgodinez
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks that's kind of how I thought I had to do this. So pull in step while in rv, then kill power. Either use a step or jump out. Seems to be only way possible. I dont like the thought of have the step out at the storage yard.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
When at a CG, I leave the step out.
When at home, I always retract the step. I store our Southwind in the yard.
Use a step stool to get out of the RV if necessary.

dakdave
Explorer
Explorer
All depends on where its stored.If the step is going to be in the way I put it in and shut step off the cut batteries