cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essential Tools or I sure wish I had brought............

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from all of the basics like pliers, channel locks, various screwdrivers etc. are there any tools to bring along or keep in the RV that maybe are out of the ordinary?

Stuff that you might have realized you needed after the fact.

Trying to plan for eventualities and be prepared.
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z
28 REPLIES 28

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
THIS is the most important tool, Then the standard Multitester. Doug

https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Extended-Continuity-Replacement-Indicator/dp/B07Q3622FT/ref=asc_df...

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I forgot the corkscrew on one trip and it took me 15 minutes to find another camper that had one. It was the longest 15 minutes of the trip for my 2 adult daughters. They never let me forget it.

FYI, a course threaded 3" drywall screw and a pair of Channelock pliers makes a servicable corkscrew in a pinch.

If you have the right touch breaking the neck off of the bottle can work also, but you're getting into the contamination gray area when doing so which may put you into that dipping water from the lake thread LOL..

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Tools - 2013
Tools - 2014
Fave tools 2017
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
A lot depends if you regularly boon dock or not. I do. Having a variety of saws (chainsaw, reciprocating saw, hand saw(wood), circular saw, hack saw, etc.) has improved the experience substantially for me, and my neighbors. (if any)

Chum lee

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
You will always need the tool you didn't bring.

Aside from that bombshell, I bring a 300+ piece crafstman tool kit, a couple different pliers, DVOM, test light, and a kit with wires, connectors, and electrical tape. OF COURSE duct tape. I also started carrying some of the quick connect plumbing connectors....I had to replace One at the toilet once at a campsite and have always carried them after, that was 10 years ago and haven't needed one since.
OH, I also carry a replacement Motorcraft Fuel filter and the line release tool to change on the road if needed.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Along with most of the stuff already mentioned, I added a couple of 20 ton bottle jacks and a 3-gallon air compressor with 50' air hose, air tools(impact wrench and ratchet), tire chuck, and deep-well sockets. Able to air up tires and/or put on the spare tire if caught with no roadside assistance available.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry a set of SAE and metric sockets and racket,assorted wrenches and modified wrenches to get to toilet valve, WH drain,etc, grease gun, caulking gun,ladder, 40 amp battery charger, jumper cables,wire splices, extra wire, tire repair kit and 12 v air pump, sockets and breaker bar to change a tire, oil change pan, rags, 2 multi meters, distilled water for batteries, Shoe Goo, epoxy and contact adhesive,and a tire gauge. My friend whom I travel with at times just carries a credit card due to physical limitations.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I forgot the corkscrew on one trip and it took me 15 minutes to find another camper that had one. It was the longest 15 minutes of the trip for my 2 adult daughters. They never let me forget it.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Bottle opener, and cork screw.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
A good AC/DC clampon ammeter and knowing how to use it. This one offers a lot of function.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
I have some long jumper cables , a battery charger and a telescoping ladder .

I take lots of stuff , way to much but you never know when it'll be needed .

Ray

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't realize how much I needed a combination power tool set until I got one for a repair project. I have used the power tools many times since and would not travel without one.

From Home Depot I bought a Black & Decker 18 volt cordless power tool set. It includes: a circular & reciprocating saw, a handheld vacuum, drill and high powered flashlight. All of this comes in a nice canvas carry bag.

Also I purchased a 150 piece channel lock hand tool set that comes in a plastic fold open case. Each tool has a marked spot in the case so it's easy to see when a tool is missing when your cleaning up after doing some work. It's has standard and metric sockets and wrenches along with ratchets drivers and various bits like allen, star, torx, screwdriver...etc

A hatchet for fire building and security.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
A lot depends on your abilities. I pack a meter to diagnose electrical issues. I also took everything I needed to change any hose or belt. I kept a ScanGauge to diagnose any abnormal codes that might be in memory during an engine malfunction.
I also carried a grease gun so that I could crawl under and grease the chassis on a regular basis as we traveled. Grease is cheaper than parts and I usually never went longer than 1000 miles between greasing the chassis. It also gave me a chance to look underneath the chassis for any problems. I carried several of the extra large white disposable suits used by painters, etc. The are available at Home Depot for a few bucks and they slip on over your regular clothes if you plan on getting dirty. A lot also depends on where you travel. Walmart and their tools are never too far away, as well as hardware and auto parts stores.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good Voltmeter and knowing how to use it...120VAC/12VDC/Continuity/Resistance
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31