cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethanol

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Well, just got back from Florida, and discovered some interesting thins about ethanol in the fuel. I ran through 3 states where they were selling ethanol free fuel, and gas seemed to be cheaper without ethanol, and beter yet, I got 2.2 MPG increase in my milage without ethanol.

Good grief, why do they put that stuff in the fuel if it costs more, and kills your milage? :@
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v
22 REPLIES 22

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
In Alabama, virtually all of the gas stations have stickers on the pump that say, "Contains at least 10% ethanol". I have seen a few gas stations, usually run-down mom-and-pop affairs, never chains, that advertise "100% Gasoline!". Personally, I don't worry about it.

However, I have discovered that absolutely my 1990 7.5L FI Ford engine runs much better using 89 octane instead of 87. No pinging under load. So we always fuel up with mid grade.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I HATE ethanol in gas!!!

It wreaks havoc on small engines like chainsaws, ATVs, log splitters, water pumps, motorcycles, lawnmowers, etc.

Competing food and fuel results in higher prices for both.

Wish we had pure gas around here.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
My guess is the primary difference is conditions unrelated to the ethonal:
- Head wind vs tail wind can easily create that big of a difference.
- How hilly is each state (and what state did the gas actually come from)?
- What is the altitude?
- Did the engine have issues with clogged injectors or other issues from light duty use that got blown out by several days of hard use.
- Was there congestion or stop & go driving conditions?

There are issues with ethonal but the facts don't support that kind of an improvement in gas mileage just based on ethonal.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The number of stations offering non alcohol gas have been increasing in N Florida but the price will knock your head off. Different states require different seasonal blends as well for emission reasons and that may also affect mileage.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
And for those of us that are old school and have carbureted engines the ethanol fuel is more prone to vapor lock.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Don't use food for fuel.
Bill and Joey the dog

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
We found the non-ethanol fuel in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida (and in marinas and airports). We went from 3.90 a gallon here in West Virginia, down to 3.29 a gallon in Georgia.

I noticed that Murphy and Patriot stations seemed to have a good bit of the "pure fuel". It seemed that going up hill under full load that the rig "felt better" with pure fuel.

Some interisting facts about the loss of MPG and HP with ethanol here:

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/006608.html
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll rephrase. Which states don't have ethanol?
Florida has stations that offer non ethanol but they are few and far between. and the price is usually a buck higher which I attribute to supply and demand.

If you pull into a gas station, they will not have non-ethanol fuel.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
What states had non ethanol gas? I might move there.

As far as I know they all do. Check out puregas.org, it shows over 8,000 stations selling pure gas in the country, nearly 500 in Florida.
I agree, it's nothing but a gift to the corn farmers.
I only use non-ethanol in my boat, antique truck, and small engines. It run the ethanol mix in the wife's Corolla.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
mike-uswest wrote:
Here in my town, it is $1 a gallon higher for the non ethanol gas over the ethanol. There are only a couple of stations in town that sell the non ethanol gas. I use it for boat motors, saws, lawn mowers, or any small motor.

Mike

same story in wenatchee, 3 stations that I know of and also use gas for small motors.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Here in my town, it is $1 a gallon higher for the non ethanol gas over the ethanol. There are only a couple of stations in town that sell the non ethanol gas. I use it for boat motors, saws, lawn mowers, or any small motor.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
We have a lot of stations in Oklahoma that sell pure gasoline and ethanol/gasoline, usually 10% corn. Usually, the ethanol product is about 8-10% cheaper per gallon compared to the lowest grade of regular gas. Where I buy most of my gasoline, the ethanol mix is 89% octane, the full gasoline is 87, 89 or 90.

So, do I buy 10% ethanol, 89 octane, this morning for $3.29 or do I buy 87 octane pure gasoline for $3.49 or 89 octane pure gasoline for 3.69??

Complicated, ain't it 😄

I decided on the motorhome it is better to just buy the pure stuff and not worry about it. Yes, I think the Ford V10 runs better on the pure juice. Mileage? I have heard that argued and a lot of math for a lot years. On my Jeep GC, I usually use the ethanol and it runs fine.

By the way, my first experience with an ethanol refinery was in Kansas thirty years ago. The farm states politically keep it in place. Here in Oklahoma, we don't grow much corn. But we grow a lot of oil!

PSW
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

Comparison of energy equivalents of fuels. Seasonal or vendor differences could make a minor difference.

Maybe someone here got a tank of mislabeled E85.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
What states had non ethanol gas? I might move there.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.