cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended Towing

gedstrom
Explorer
Explorer
I will be leaving on an long vacation in a couple of weeks, towing my Honda CR-V along. There will be a couple of stretches of several days when I will have no need to disconnect the car for local driving. Should I disconnect the car daily anyway to exercise it on it's own and go through the gears, or is it safe to leave it connected for towing several days in a row?

Thanks, Gary
7 REPLIES 7

gedstrom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. I just wanted to see if it was really necessary to disconnect and drive the car a little each day.

Gary

Sooboy
Explorer
Explorer
As those above, now that we've installed a charge line, back-to-back towing days no longer present a problem. I restart the car and run through the towing procedure at least every 8 hours, but usually more frequently. Easy to do at a fuel stop.
2012 Jayco Embark TB390
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
2009 Honda CRV (mini toad)
2014 Ford F-150 4x4 (monster toad)
FMCA #F413428

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your braking system you may have to drive it to keep the battery charged. We usually take a drive in the evening to check out the local sights and charge the battery.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Have towed my 2006 CRV 4 days without unhooking. I usually start it and let it run while I hook up the cable,water & sewer. In the morning I start it and let it run while I unhook the cable,sewer and water.I always leave the door open so I dont forget that I have it running. follow the instructions in manual to tow then.

clydedoerr
Explorer
Explorer
Just start the car and run through the towing procedure everyday before leaving. I have done that on numerous trips with the crv in tow and never had a problem Good Luck

Coalminer_UG
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed my car from northern Alberta to Yuma Arizona (5 Day Trip). Just follow book instructions. I never had a problem.
Ches

Served In Canadian Army 1PPCLI

Retired Underground Coal Miner (Gen Foreman)

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I leave mine hooked up. Must run it through it's cycle every 8 hours of towing.

Also run it for a while to keep the battery charged.

Do just like the owner's manual says.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE