cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended Warranty

swindall
Explorer
Explorer
I'm purchasing a new to me 04' Damen Challenger with 38k miles and looking at 2 different extended warranty brokers. One is Wholesale Warranties and the other is Nationwide Auto Warranties. The latter is cheaper but can't find any info on the company. Good Sams seems to be to high and to many restrictions. Wholesale Warranties will send out a service guy and do a pre inspection to rule out any pre exsisting conditions ( wish I had known before I signed an agreement to buy)to keep company from claiming that.
9 REPLIES 9

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
The debate about having or not having extended serviced contracts will never be settled on here. Only you can decide. Most pay house insurance and never use it. It all boils down to what you're comfortable with. For me, it's a piece of mind, knowing I have a warranty. I have one from Wholesale Warranties, and highly recommend them. I've had three claims, one for a starter, one for a lift pump and another for the plastic tank for the radiator. The last two claims the company actually went beyond what they were obligated to do, which shocked me. Am I ahead or behind....I'm behind, but still have more then 3 years to go.......and I'm not really concerned about that, like I said, it's a piece of mind with me.
Brian

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I understand that the companies normally come out ahead, I prefer the peace of mind. I am NOT mechanically inclined, at all!

Last Spring over several months, I had an alternator go out, a brake system fail(the dreaded Workhorse autopark) and needed a new differential. This was all on what had been a basically trouble free 2007 Winnie. All repairs were covered. I came out way ahead over what I paid.

In the past I have come out a little under what I paid and about even so I guess my payout odds are better than most, or my repair needs worse. I DO maintain everything on schedule.

For me, I understand it is a bet, kind of like life insurance.......... I hope to never use it but am glad it is there. For me peace of mind regarding large repairs bills works for me. Best of luck in deciding what is right for you!

And yes, I KNOW I could put the $$ in a savings account for repairs. Last spring's bills would have been over $8k. I was inconvenienced but did not go broke.

swindall
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in agreement "jerseyjim". But with it being 11 yrs used, I think I'll bet the odds and go with the warranty.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
jerseyjim wrote:
Extended warranties are simply a money maker for the companies issuing them. With me, when NEW, I was offered an extended warranty for a couple of THOUSAND dollars...after I just paid over 80 THOUSAND for the motorhome. I had 3 years on the chassis and one year on the motorhome part itself...and all the equipment inside (stove, a/c units, etc., etc.) and their OWN stand alone warranties. I declined. TEN years later I had to replace the fridge. $1300. I guess by then, with renewals, I would have paid like ten grand or more for the "extended". So...in my case....who came out ahead?
I suggest you read the contracts very carefully. Especially the "exclusions"! You might find they cover spark plug #3 but not spark plug #5.

Your money, your choice. Me? I'll put those monies in the gas tank and travel.

You are correct in your thinking, Jim. But YOUR coach was NEW. I, too would never buy a warranty/service contract if buying NEW. The OP is looking at a 11 year old coach, and USED! Hence, the desire for some protection against a costly failure. All the "stuff" on that coach is well out of warranty so anything that breaks is on his dime. I cannot afford to have my coach sitting idle while waiting to save up enough for a costly repair. I lost the rear end on my coach to a tune of almost $6k which was covered by the warranty I had. The Not-so-Cold also was covered when it gave up a couple years back. That was $1500. I'm pretty handy with a wrench, since I built street rods for over 40 years but I don't have the desire/ability/knowledge/space or equipment to change out the pumpkin on my diesel.

Again, for new, I would decline. For used, it should be considered, especially if you're not too handy with a wrench....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Extended warranties are simply a money maker for the companies issuing them. With me, when NEW, I was offered an extended warranty for a couple of THOUSAND dollars...after I just paid over 80 THOUSAND for the motorhome. I had 3 years on the chassis and one year on the motorhome part itself...and all the equipment inside (stove, a/c units, etc., etc.) and their OWN stand alone warranties. I declined. TEN years later I had to replace the fridge. $1300. I guess by then, with renewals, I would have paid like ten grand or more for the "extended". So...in my case....who came out ahead?
I suggest you read the contracts very carefully. Especially the "exclusions"! You might find they cover spark plug #3 but not spark plug #5.

Your money, your choice. Me? I'll put those monies in the gas tank and travel.

journey15
Explorer
Explorer
We have had extended warranties ever since being motorhome owners for 9 years.
We have had extended warranties with RV.protection.net (wholesale warranties now) and would prefer not to be without one. However, our warranty expired last Monday. We have called and called and left messages with Scott, or anyone, and they have not returned our calls. Their website says they will contact the owners prior to the expiration of the warrant expiration. Not true!!! No contact at all.
So I guess we are on our own now so to speak. Not a very good feeling.
Full Timing June 2015
07 Allegro Bus 40QSP
08 Honda CRV EXL with Blue OX and US Gear Braking System
FMCA #381833

n4gnn n4hon
I Never Look Back, I'm Not Going That Way!

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
For every person that tells you that have received more in claims than what they paid means several folks have received far less in claims that they paid. These companies make a profit or go belly up. Read very carefully.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought mine through WW and have been pleased with their service claims. Approved a mobile tech to replace our front A/C last year. Also paid a tire claim in full with no deductible...worth the money IMO...some on here say put your money is a savings acct...I say BS...I've more than paid for my warranty already. And yes, they are not warranties, they're service contracts....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Moved from Forum Technical Support