cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Cab covers

Pavester
Explorer
Explorer
We have the standard cover for the windscreen and side windows of the cab that is held down by magnets. The heat has practically welded the magnets to the paint on the doors and hood of the vehicle and its going to take some serious work to remover the cover.

My question is: does anyone have any ideas of ways to keep the magnets from melting to the paint and/or another type of cover that will remain in place during the frequent high winds?

TIA
12 REPLIES 12

Pavester
Explorer
Explorer
Meant to say "without magnets"

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of These.
Sometimes, Its a good idea to see what that noise was out front before you open the door.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pavester wrote:

Going to get a new one with magnets. Anyone have any suggestions for a good cover?

This One really works great for me.
Complete privacy and sun block when needed and the see thru screen if you want to see out or get some light in,best of both worlds.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
if you are talking about the one that covers the windshield and then is hooked up to the doors no. What I did was get a couple of the sunscreens that are used for parking the silver reflective ones. cut 1 in 1/2 and fitted the pieces to the door windows and hold in place with suction cups. Tight fit also helps. for windshield large truck one will stay in place also with 2 suction cups, not the little ones that come with most but old silver dollar size ones. these are easy to install when stopped and dont have to fiddle with anything outside or worry about winds/scratches or melted magnets.

Pavester
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all

Got the cover off with Goo Gone, scraper, and elbow grease.
Going to get a new one with magnets. Anyone have any suggestions for a good cover?

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
Magnets should be completely covered by the fabric. The only problem I've had is they will accumulate dirt and grit and scratch the paint. Never had one melt into paint, and I live in south FL. Never saw one with magnets on the hood.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If we know that it'll get really hot, we stay home in central air conditioned comfort.

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
just spent 3 days in 105 deg heat in Las Vegas. No magnet issue with the windshield cover. My cover magnets are sewn into the fabric so they can't melt into the door metal or anything. Get a new better cover.
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

quingus
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought piece of scotch tape. Keeps the pieces separate but contact made for the mag to stick. IMHO.

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
Pavester wrote:
We have the standard cover for the windscreen and side windows of the cab that is held down by magnets. The heat has practically welded the magnets to the paint on the doors and hood of the vehicle and its going to take some serious work to remover the cover.

My question is: does anyone have any ideas of ways to keep the magnets from melting to the paint and/or another type of cover that will remain in place during the frequent high winds?

TIA

I have one like that but only magnets 1 ea door none on hood,sound like a homemade one
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry, but we've never camped anywhere that hot,(yet) was in OK one year at 100, but it didn't melt the magnets to the paint.
Will let you know though after we go to AZ in August.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Pavester
Explorer
Explorer
BTW

2014 Coachmen Leprechaun with F350 chassis