cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F53 cruise started working intermittently

spotrot
Explorer
Explorer
On the last few days of a 3,000 trip, sometimes my cruise would not engage.

This Ford system does not show an icon on the dash when the system is ON - it only illuminates the icon when it is ON and engaged. Therefore, I don't know which part of the process has the problem.

When it's working, I can use the ON/OFF and engage switches on the steering wheel repeatedly, so it appears not to be the switches.
Plus repeatedly pressing them when it's not working has no effect.

It seems like the cruise didn't work after starting the engine, but after an hour or so of driving, it started working again.

From suggestions to the other cruise post, I'll examine the brake pedal switch -- it is very sensitive.

But other than that, I have no idea where or how to trouble shoot this intermittent problem.

Thanks in advance for any feedback from similar experiences.
8 REPLIES 8

spotrot
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the posts. Mine is a 2008, and I'm hoping it's just the adjustment of the brake pedal switch.

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
'02 cruise control (speed control in Ford lingo)is different than the '07.

How I fixed mine (an '04)

And someone else's problems with schematics
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

MiRV
Explorer
Explorer
I had a very similar problem on my 2002 Itasca Sunova. It all started after I had the front end aligned which lead me to believe it was something in the steering wheel. I took it to have to "worked on" and they replied the servo ($700+). It worked for a short time afterwards and now back to not working. I think I have a shorted wire somewhere…I haven't been able to track down the issue either.
Livin' the Dream, Over the Road

spotrot
Explorer
Explorer
All good ideas, Thanks.

I'll re-post if I locate the source of the problem.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
I had a customer bring in the steering wheel controls for repair, same intermittent issues. Turned out to be a flakey pushbutton tact switch on the steering wheel internal circuit board. Other than that, a maladjusted or defective brake switch would also cause intermittent problems.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
What year do you have? That would really help out anyone with a answer.

On my 97 chassis, if the 4 way emergency flashers are on, then the CC will not work. Also many vehicles the CC will not work if the fuse for the brakes is not working. Any problems with either of these?

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
I think you have an '08? If so, the cruise function is part of the drive by wire system. As such, the only pieces to the system that are unique to the cruise are the switches and wiring. Not too much to check out.
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

2010Liberty
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest you check in with Ford dealership. They have been know to have many cruise related recalls. may or may not affect you but never hurts to know.