cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fabric RV Cover Suggestions .....

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 40' coach and a complete RV cover that is very cumbersome to install and remove ... it covers the top and all 4 sides down to the wheels. I've always been more concerned about covering the top because I park the RV in the shade under trees. THE QUESTION: what's an easy way to chop/cut off all the material up to approx 18" from the roof line? NEXT QUESTION: Would installing eyelets every 8' to be used for tie downs work to prohibit wind from blowing it off? Appreciate your ideas!!!
8 REPLIES 8

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
2ndhom wrote:
sailor_lou wrote:
You'll also need to ensure when you tie the cover down you pull it down and away from the side of the rig. Otherwise I would think the eyelets and the rope will scratch the side of the rig.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

I thought of useing tennis balls between the tarp and coach. It's the labor of cutting that cover material all the way around and cutting it even that has me thinking.
Basketballs would be better!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Peddler95
Explorer
Explorer
I contacted most of the cover manufacturers looking for a "roof only" cover. None offered them.
Seems to me it would be a good seller for people that only need to protect the roof and don't want the hassle of lugging a full cover around.
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 35A
W22 Chassis & Master Tow Dolly

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
sailor_lou wrote:
You'll also need to ensure when you tie the cover down you pull it down and away from the side of the rig. Otherwise I would think the eyelets and the rope will scratch the side of the rig.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

I thought of useing tennis balls between the tarp and coach. It's the labor of cutting that cover material all the way around and cutting it even that has me thinking.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Sunshield tarp that has the grommets already installed and hold it down originally with bottles of antifreeze but now use boat fenders half filled with sand. On our approx. 30 foot rv we use three fenders on each side and tie down the front and rear with rope.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
2ndhom....Here is a thought....I have a very heavy cloth cover that is just too heavy to lift onto the roof. My coach is parked at home so I mounted a garden box (plastic garden storage box from Home Depot) onto the top of the fence that my coach backs up to. The opening to the box is about 2' below the roof line. (Even with the roof line would be better). I open the box, start up my rear ladder and grab the front of the cover and climb onto the roof. Once on top, I pull the cove out of the box and onto the roof. Once it's out of the box, I unroll it and let it fall over the sides. I secure the cover until the next trip.

When I'm ready to remove it, I pull the sides up to the center of the roof and start the rear of the cover back into the box.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Those eyelets and tie downs will beat your motorhome up in the wind, best bet is to use the whole cover or no cover.

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about the chopping off, but the eyelets would work good as long as you re-enforce them with something.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours