cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Falken RI150. Another Tire to Consider!

astro001
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my perfect looking 8-Year-old Sumitomo ST727’s a week ago. The Sumitomo tires I replaced were 16ply 275/70/22.5 and were 2.5” in diameter smaller than the correct 295/75/22.5. Sumitomo does not make a 16 ply in my correct size. A week ago I had Yokohama YO23's installed. They rode OK but seemed a little "loose". I looked REAL close at the Yokohama's on Monday and the tires were G Rated 14 ply, not the 16 ply I ordered. The exact same model is available in G and H and Yokohama shipped the wrong tire. The only available Yoko 16 ply had 2015 date codes. Long story short I was going to go with the Toyo M170, which was my 2nd choice.
Since I had told the tire store owner I loved the Sumitomo's he told about a new tire by Falken (Owned by Sumitomo) that just came out in June. He received feedback that it was the best riding tire ever run by one of his trucking company customers who now won't buy anything else. The contact tread is 1 in wider and the tire is certified by the EPA “Smart Way” EPA low rolling resistance standard for increased fuel mileage. I checked the EPA site and the Toyo is not. My OCD was torn between the Falken and the Toyo, I compared both side by side and he offered to swap them out for free after my trip to Richmond if I didn't like my choice. The motorhome with the Falken RI150 EcoRun tires drives like it's on rails. I ran it up to 85 mph and the difference is amazing. These are the Best riding tires ever, to include the original Michelin XZA2’s.
I was so impressed when I got home I called and ordered a mounted spare that I will pick up on Monday. All is well that ends well and I will say that Davis Tire of Jacksonville, FL stands behind their work.
I hope the Falken tires age as well as my Sumitomo’s
http://falkentire.com/…/medium-truck-tires/ri150-ecorun-tire
Mickey&Linda
2003 American Revolution
2009 Dodge Dakota 4/4 Toad
2015 Chevrolet Sonic Toad
Middleburg, Florida
15 REPLIES 15

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Hey some fellow was inquiring about a rear bumper, wanted to know why he didnt have one. Here ya go. that spare would make a great one
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

astro001
Explorer
Explorer
A friend waited 6 hours to get a non-correct tire that cost him double, only to have it removed 2 days later after he arrive back home. I decided to spend the $$ knowing that the spare tire will age out with the others and I will hopefully never need it. The Roadmaster carrier is a heavy duty piece.

Mickey&Linda
2003 American Revolution
Middleburg, Florida

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
hanko wrote:
I wouldn't buy any of those Falken tires

Any reason why?

I know a lot of people who have run Falken automotive tires with good results.

I think he is making a joke...

yes I was, thanks for noticing.
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Tropical,
When I started reading your post and read "Hercules" my first reaction was Hercules is a good tire. I didn't know they were a division of Cooper - another good tire for sure.

Most likely the tires are one and the same with the only difference being the name on the sidewall.
Again, how many different ways, can you possibly make a tire and one that's not prone to failure. I mean, there's not a company in the world that can afford that kind of publicity and possible law suits, if they're to stay in business, nowadays. Just ask Firestone and whether or not they were at fault with that roll over scandal or not.
I've even asked, would be tire experts on forums, how one makes a bad tire and have never gotten a real engineering type answer. I have gotten some other non-tech type answers, such as .....Chinese tires are junk and that sort of an analysis. Again, if one isn't satisfied with tires that are manufactured in China, then they should be preparing themselves for riding on the rims, in the very near future.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
hanko wrote:

Any reason why?

I think he is making a joke...
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Bruce_Brown
hanko wrote:

Any reason why?

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

hanko
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Bruce_Brown
Tropical,
When I started reading your post and read "Hercules" my first reaction was Hercules is a good tire. I didn't know they were a division of Cooper - another good tire for sure.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please let us know how it works in a few years.... I have not tried the brand myself on my coaches. On vehicles, they were "meh ok"...
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just so glad to see someone else who understands that even though tires may look perfect that replacing them after 8 years is the right thing to do!

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Don't understand this business of one tire being so much better and the only one to put under you. All the different opinions on the matter, should tell one something.
I'd never compromise on size for sure and having a smaller diameter tire, lowers the gear ratio and screws up the speedometer, along with increasing fuel consumption.
I just matched my size of 295/80/22.5 last summer with new Hercules all around and there's as many good reviews with these as any. I also have experience with them and they have proven to be as good as others, if not better. Biggest difference is in the price and don't like paying for a big name, as well as the tire....

"Cooper Tire Corp. in Findlay, Ohio, manufactures Hercules tires. In July 2010, Hercules Tire & Rubber Co. and Cooper Tire Corp. celebrated 50 years as partners. Hercules Tire was founded in the 1950's and formed its partnership with Cooper Tire Corp. in the '60s.?
Hercules Tire is the fourth largest tire maker worldwide. Although its products are best known in the United States and Canada, it has received global recognition. Since the company's inception, Hercules has led the industry at various times with tires that range from passenger, SUV, light truck, medium truck, trailer, off-road and a variety of others."
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting the info. I've heard of Falken tires but, never looked into making a purchase.

Good options are always nice when it comes to buying tires.

astro001
Explorer
Explorer
Skip,
The Sumitomo tires I took off last week were 4808 date codes and did not have ANY visible cracking. I know I ran them too long, but I could not settle on a replacement tire. They were bead balanced when installed and looked good on the inside as well. I park under a RV port but never covered the or used 303 on the tires.
Mickey&Linda
2003 American Revolution
Middleburg, Florida

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad to hear about the Sumitomo's going 8 years. I installed a set 1 year ago.
I had the Yoko's on previously- ran great for 6 years exactly and the sidewalls started splitting, not cracking, but splitting where the side wall radial ply overlaps on the outside. The Splits were 18" long and didn't leak any air and were on the inside of the tires where I didn't apply 303.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back