cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Been thinking...need advice...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
I've posted other requests for information regarding this subject and received good replies. The subject is downsizing from a Class A to a Class C. We're right on the cusp of signing a contract but I have one remaining concern. We're looking at a '17 Thor Gemini. It's on a Ford chassis with a 5 cyl. diesel engine. Now the question: Our toad is a 3200# CRV. Will the 5 cyl. engine be adequate to pull the CRV even on mtn. grades? Most of our travel is in flat-land but occasionally will hit grades in Wesern N.C. / Will appreciate any thoughts or advice regarding this. / Thanks. , Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
17 REPLIES 17

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
From the OP: The CW sales person contacted the manufacturer's rep. who advised that in towing a 3400 lb. vehicle, the Gemini would be close to "maxed out". O.K., I've seen, read, heard enough. The Gemini is out of the picture. Thor makes several small MH's on Ford chassis w/the 10 cyl. gas engine. Combined Gross is substantially greater than the Gemini allowing me to adequately load the MH and tow the CRV. I'll probably go in that direction. Thanks to all who replied helping me make a decision.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

lonewolf80
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok it seems that every time the topic comes up about weight, towing or storing capacity gets posted, everyone becomes an engineer. The OP's original question wasn't for anyone to do the math and recite the alphabet for him. I'm pretty sure that he would come to those conclusions himself during his considerations of different rigs and power combo's relating to his type of use. Most if not all towing ratings are very conservative in nature for almost any type of vehicle. I think the OP was looking more for real use comments on the 5 cylinder engine having the balls to get his RV and tow over the hills found in North Carolina without being a slow moving traffic hazard.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
goufgators wrote:
From the O.P.: Here's what I've found so far: The GCWR for the '17 Gemini is: 13,500

The coach weighs 10,360
The Honda CRV 3,400
Total 13,760

Sooo, I'm already over the stated GCWR without including weight of passengers, dogs, food, clothing, etc.etc.

Am I right?? If so, the deal for the Gemini is out.

Probably need to dig in a little further. The answer right now is "we don't have enough information to determine that.

Their website states GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT is 10,360. I don't see in the specs the UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) or a CCC figure. So, that 10,360 could be very close to actual or well above unloaded weight.

Just to be clear the 10,360# number is the GVWR which is the maximum the coach can weigh when fully loaded. The problem with these small coaches is the difference between the UWV (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) and the GVWR is small. You can either carry it or tow it but not both. Every vehicle has to have a published UWV. You will need that. I also asked the dealer for a scale weight before purchase.
FMCA member

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
From the O.P.: Here's what I've found so far: The GCWR for the '17 Gemini is: 13,500

The coach weighs 10,360
The Honda CRV 3,400
Total 13,760

Sooo, I'm already over the stated GCWR without including weight of passengers, dogs, food, clothing, etc.etc.

I pulled up the specs for the '17 Gemini and see that the GVWR of the coach is 10,360. that's the total weight the chassis can support (including itself). it would be a very strange coincidence if that's what your Gemini actually weighs.

since you don't own it you need to see if the dealer will weigh it for you (get weights on each axle); then compute the extra weight of full fuel, water and LP tanks on the affected axle (usually the rear). i'll bet you won't have more than 2000-lbs of payload after that. and you'll need to know the payload on each axle to be sure neither is overweight.

assuming that neither axle is overweight when FULLY loaded then your max towing capacity is 3140-lbs. and for every pound the FULLY loaded MH weighs adds a pound to the max towing weight up to a GCWR of 13,500 (the total weight the MH can propel including itself).
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
goufgators wrote:

The coach weighs 10,360
The Honda CRV 3,400
Total 13,760

Their website states GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT is 10,360..
I'm sure they mean GVWR.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:

The coach weighs 10,360
The Honda CRV 3,400
Total 13,760

I pulled up the specs for the '17 Gemini and see that the GVWR of the coach is 10,360. that's the total weight the chassis can support (including itself). it would be a very strange coincidence if that's what your Gemini actually weighs.

since you don't own it you need to see if the dealer will weigh it for you (get weights on each axle); then compute the extra weight of full fuel, water and LP tanks on the affected axle (usually the rear). i'll bet you won't have more than 2000-lbs of payload after that. and you'll need to know the payload on each axle to be sure neither is overweight.

assuming that neither axle is overweight when loaded then your max towing capacity is 3140-lbs.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:

The coach weighs 10,360
The Honda CRV 3,400
Total 13,760

Probably need to dig in a little further. The answer right now is "we don't have enough information to determine that.

Their website states GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT is 10,360. I don't see in the specs the UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) or a CCC figure. So, that 10,360 could be very close to actual or well above unloaded weight.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer

The coach weighs 10,360
The Honda CRV 3,400
Total 13,760

2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever your towing with anything, always start with the manual. It should tell you very clearly what the vehicle is rated to tow. Especially a motor home because they often tow vehicles. Pay attention to it.It's not just about the power of the motor but concerns brakes, suspension, transmission, etc.
Jayco-noslide

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
I've posted other requests for information regarding this subject and received good replies. The subject is downsizing from a Class A to a Class C. We're right on the cusp of signing a contract but I have one remaining concern. We're looking at a '17 Thor Gemini. It's on a Ford chassis with a 5 cyl. diesel engine. Now the question: Our toad is a 3200# CRV. Will the 5 cyl. engine be adequate to pull the CRV even on mtn. grades? Most of our travel is in flat-land but occasionally will hit grades in Wesern N.C. / Will appreciate any thoughts or advice regarding this. / Thanks. , Larry

you need to know the various weights and weight ratings (by axle) of the MH. in general, the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded for travel (includes fuel, fresh water, food, clothing, people, pets, supplies, etc.)

- the weight rating of your tow bar

- the weight rating of your hitch

this is why it's vital to know what your MH weighs as it is loaded and configured for travel before spending dollar 1. Your MH will not collapse if it is overloaded but you will experience handling issues as well as longer braking distances and accelerated wear on suspension, brakes, steering, etc.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll be close but as long as you're not loading the coach to it's limits. Per Thor's on line specs the Ford based chassis GVWR is 10,360 and GCWR is 13,500 so if the coach is loaded to maximum you'll be overweight by 100 lbs or so. If you go with the Sprinter based chassis you'll have an extra 1000 lbs to play with. Double check the hitch and ensure it is 5000 lbs capacity.

The elephant in the corner is what is the empty weight and how much stuff can you pack in.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how old the Thor Gemini is, but the mid 2000 Sprinters, up to about 2008, a lot of them had 3000 lb hitch ratings.
Fleetwood Revolution LE 38X
2011 Scion TC toad

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer should be able to answer about tow ratings. Ask them.

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
msturtz wrote:
goufgators wrote:

You can look at the GCWR to start with. As long as you are not exceeding GVWR or GCWR, you should be fine.

Good advice. I'll do exactly that. Thanks!
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake