cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fan placement

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I have read in my MH book that you should put a fan in the refrigerator to help circulate the cooling. I have placed a battery fan in there before, but as it gets cold the fan stops as the battery goes dead real fast. I got a 12 volt fan to place in there but I am not sure of the correct placement of the fan. Should it blow towards the fins, or away from the fins, or maybe on a lower shelf. Any one know where the best place for it?
I have it wired so it can run all the time the refrigerator is on.
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
Ebay
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

rayhough
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Blowing away from the fins........fins are coolest area so you want to circulate that cool air

Where did you find that fan?
Ray
Life is like a roll of toilet paper
the closer you get to the end the faster it goes.
Enjoy it what's left.
Happy traveling, Ray :W

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I've had RV's 30 years and haven't used a fan yet.

It would be interesting to put two or three thermometers in your refrigerator and see if there is any difference in temps at various places.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
I band clipped mine below the bottom shelf blowing up for the reason sundancer268 posted, the cold air is denser and falls to the bottom.

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
It really does not matter as you are only trying to prevent the cool air from pooling on the bottom and the warmer air from pooling near the top. This helps the air movement when refrigerated items interrupt the normal convection currents produced by the evaporator. The reason the evaporator is placed high in the reefer is that the cold air it produces naturally sinks to the bottom and the warmer air will rise and be cooled to continue the process. With items in the reefer, the perfect convection currents are interrupted and allow for uneven cooling of the food.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Blowing away from the fins........fins are coolest area so you want to circulate that cool air

Thanks a bunch. That's what I wanted to know.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
double post

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I have the fan already wired in. Runs good. Just wondering where the best location to secure it get blowing the right way.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ebay...$13.50
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fan that I bought on Ebay for less than $15. It clips on th fins which also provide the neg battery source. The hot wire goes to the permanent 12v ahead of the frig light switch. Mine has been humming along for about 3 years.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a post from a thread a couple of years old showing how he used computer fans. If you scroll to the first post in that thread you will see another member used a fan assembly he purchased, but to me it seems to take up more room.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25282708/gotomsg/25283909.cfm#25283909

I recently emailed the member that did his own thing and he provided some additional useful info:

==========================================
The fans I have came in a four pack, they're called Z-Quiet Fan, 80mm x 80mm x 25mm size.

Airflow: 31.50 CFM per unit
Speed: 2700rpm
Current: 0.16a per unit
Life: 30,000 hours
Bearing Type: sleeve

As to wiring, my fridge had a removable cap on the thermostatic sensor wires that went out through the back of the unit (These are part of the fridge and control the heating element, nothing to do with the fans).

I simply snaked a pair of wires through the same path as the thermostat wires and put sleeved blade connectors on the inside so that I could easily remove the fans later for servicing.

I wired them into an existing fused circuit and added two switches on a face plate with colored LED to indicate that they were on or off.

Blue for the fans inside the fridge, red for the four fans outside in the vent duct I built that sit directly above the cooling fins on the outside and draw air over them.

========================================================

I have not done this myself as yet, but may consider it in the future.
Roaming Full Timer

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a computer muffin fan and after some serious research drill a small hole to run the wires and run that inside.

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I've used a 2-D cell battery fan for years without the problem you describe.

I only had a little fan with 2 AA batteries. I was not surprised they didn't last long.