cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling ripped off on the cost of a front break job ?

behengold
Explorer
Explorer
I had my breaks checked at 74,000 mi on my 2000 Born Free E450. Was told I needed new pads and a right front caliper.The rotors were also turned.$600 later I picked it up and on my first trip I felt a shimmy in the wheel and tire on the right side.There was also a burnt plastic odor which I thought might be the new break pad.I took it back to the shop after 400mi to recheck.They told me I now had a warped rotor suggesting I must have been riding the breaks and overheated the rotor.This time they replaced both rotors and the other caliper costing another thousand dollars for a total of $1600. I guess I should have taken it right back to have them to redo the repair but I was 60 mi into my trip and figured it might be the new pads adjusting. What do I know,I'm not a mechanic. I'm wondering if they contributed to the problem by not doing the job correctly in the first place.I'm interested in other opinions as to the cost and whether they should have eaten some of the 2nd repair.
19 REPLIES 19

tboss
Explorer
Explorer
Rip off I say yes,, for turnin the rotors including new clean ,inspect and repack the bearings and new pads ,,for 200.00 and some change,,done the work myself grt brakes and
no wobble in steering wheel..

RonMay
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, that shop should be ashamed of themselves. On our 2004 Class C (E450) I just replaced all 4 calipers as well as new pads front and back. The parts cost me about $450 and I did the work myself. I can't imagine why labor costs would add THAT much to the tab.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
$600? Not bad at all for Fronts.

Simply Amazingly Stunning if "all" and "the rotors" means Front and Rear!

Seems they treated you like other customers, farmers, contractors, deliveries etc. that run Ford Trucks, not a cash cow in an RV.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Local independent truck center replaced two calipers, all pads, turned the rotors and repacked the bearings last year for $600.00 on E450 chassis.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
The job is done now, and billing/warranty will work out however it works out. But I'd like to offer:

1. A job like this should include BOTH calipers and the hoses.

2. If there's any planning time/down time, a whole replacement front axle setup, with complete brakes, new bearings, new axles (including ball joints and bushings) and new radius arms is available from firms that make Ford E-Series chassis into 4x4. Replacing these components on 2007 or earlier chassis upgrades brakes to the latest 2008+ design which is a much larger, much better, brake.

3. Item 2. above is really good if the chassis has enough miles on it that ball joint wear has become an issue. Several of us on this forum have made this swap or had it done at a shop and we're pleased.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

JesseJ1826
Explorer
Explorer
I just had the brakes done on my 2001 E450. Couldn't find a Ford dealer within 100 miles to do it so I took it to a heavy truck shop recommended by local RV dealer who sends them all their RV chassis work. On the front they installed new calipers, (one old one was seized), new rotors and pads. All parts used were from Ford. Rears were inspected and determined to be OK. Cost was $1930.00 (Can.) including 13% tax. Reasonable in my opinion considering everything up here in the great white north is much more expensive.
J J

2001 Four Winds Chateau 31N E450 V10
2006 Saturn Vue V6 AWD, drivetrain by Honda, body by Tupperware
Aventa II, Brake Buddy

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Expect to get overcharged when away from home on a trip. You might get better quality/reliable service from a Ford Truck dealer but expect to pay dealer service prices for parts and labor.

behengold
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to try to have a calm conversation with these folks and have them explain how my brake pad replacement evolved into a $1600'brake job. If they don't adjust the bill I'll dispute the charge and we can work it out in court. I do have honest mechanics working on my other vehicles.typical story , they don't want to work on my RV. . I'll be picking it up today. Hopefully at least they'll have got it right on the repair so I don't have to have another shop get involved. Thanks for everyone's input.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know a great shop in new castle PA . they did a brake repair in the fair grounds lot. on a holiday week end.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
behengold wrote:
I'm going to at least try to get them to adjust the bill . I believe they overcharged me for a problem they created. I've had few good experiences when it comes to auto repairs.

You need to find a good tame mechanic and stick with them. If you have friends or people you trust that have long term relationships with a mechanic try them out.

I used to work at an independent, honest shop. They are out there. When you find one, give them your love and business.

Sounds to me like they screwed up the brake job and are soaking you to make it right rather than eating it.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
The warped rotor is their fault... they didn't bleed it properly. You were basically applying that brake the entire time you were driving. You got ripped off. Based upon the ****py work I wouldn't trust the repair... take it to another shop for inspection. Hopefully they find a part that was "replaced" was not and then you have a better small claims case and chargeback complaint.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

behengold
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to at least try to get them to adjust the bill . I believe they overcharged me for a problem they created. I've had few good experiences when it comes to auto repairs.

mda
Explorer
Explorer
If the rotors were not warped to begin with, then it sounds to me like they messed up the install of the right caliper, causing the rotor to warp. One other thing is that those original equipment rotors are big heavy mothers. Most brake places cannot resurface them correctly because they either don't have the equipment or the time. Just had mine 2006 e450 done. Mechanic sent the rotors to a machine shop. Cost with new pads, bearings repacked, oil change and everything underneath greased, NYS inspection $600.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
It just makes me sick that how people just blatantly rip people off.

Then again there are so many that don't have a clue.
NOT trying to make you feel worse , its just now in this day and time with easy access to the WWW a simple look up online at parts prices and there are sites to get labor times as well.

Yeah you got took for a grand and then some !

But a lot of places when a MH rolls in the labor rate and parts just about doubles !!
That in itself is thievery !!

I couldn't make it running a business I'm to honest and have morals and values not to mention integrity unlike most it seems this day and time !

Sorry for your loss.....

I hate it when they do the scare tactic on people too.
It won't last till you make it to _____ or your lucky you made it in , it was ready fall off or cause a wreck Blah blah blah !!