cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiberglass Roof Coating

applik
Explorer
Explorer
On a new project now. Since it's an 03 BT Cruiser and very short, we would like to put a coating on the roof. It's bumpy fiberglass. We put eternabond on all the edge seams and recaulked the vents, etc. But it's aging and there are lots of little hairline cracks on the roof. So, what to coat it with. Looked at the dicor one for fiberglass and not crazy about it. Anything else that will stick and do a good job of sealing and long lasting? Our elevation is 7000 so it's for sun and snow. We do tarp in the winter's snowy months.
We have a HD and Lowes here but anything else would have to be ordered online which is fine. But would like to do it pretty soon so we can get on the road this summer.
What about Geocel 23200V Pro Flex RV Brushable Sealer? Anybody used it? I've been searching the internet for roof coatings that will stick to fiberglass but lacking in knowledge of what will seal the best. Looks is not a concern. Would like something flexible so it won't crack. And it will probably be me putting it on so hopefully I can handle it.
thanks,
Shari
And thanks to all for the ladder help. Ordered a telescoping one to attach via straps to the dented one til we can find one that exactly matches the old....no new holes ๐Ÿ˜‰
7 REPLIES 7

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Spent a lot of time on this one myself. I agree that the small cracks (some folks call them spider web cracks) won't leak but I felt they needed to be covered. I used the Dicor fiberglass roof coating with their pink cleaner before. It has held up good and I put a small amount of it on my outside mirror arm to see if it would last on that and it has for 3 years it still looks good. My second choice would be the fiberglass boat paint like suggested above. In any case I believe that fiberglass is the best roof material..... Some folks use Mop and glow floor wax on fiberglass roofs. This might be ok but will have to be completely stripped off if you ever want to use the fiberglass paint.

applik
Explorer
Explorer
watched the video and the application looked involved. Mostly it's the temperature and moisture requirements. It gets below freezing here at night and not that warm in the day (until mid summer and then it's warm enough but rains a lot). Nowhere to do it indoors for us either. I would like to only have to put a coating on once. We will most likely only be using this rv for the next 5 to 7 years then we'll be done with traveling I think.
Shari

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
applik wrote:
It does have a couple of larger cracks so want to seal those too. Looks like my choices are fairly limited.
thanks,
Shari

If they are large/deep cracks, they probably be repaired the same way a boat deck is repaired. Grind the crack to slightly wider, slightly deeper V. Clean with acetone. If it is not too wide, mix up some epoxy with thickener and fill the crack. Wide/deep cracks will need to have some shredded fiberglass adding. Smooth with a plastic scraper/squeegee. Lightly sand before painting.

Do it once and do it right !

cabranch47
Explorer
Explorer
What we it about the Dicor coating that you did not like? I used it on my popup fiber glass roof and have been well pleased. I applied Eternabond tape to the seams and other penetrations, wiped the tape lightly with lacquer thinner and then painted the Dicor coating on everything. Went on easy and sealed the edges of the Eternabond. Been three years and still looks good.
2009 Flagstaff HW 27SC
1999 Ford F150 XCab

applik
Explorer
Explorer
It does have a couple of larger cracks so want to seal those too. Looks like my choices are fairly limited.
thanks,
Shari

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Check marine "top side" paint. That is designed for a high level of sun and weather exposure and for being applied to fiberglass. For best adhesion, a light sanding and wipe down with acetone. Awl Grip is a good brand. $$$ !!

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is just the little micro / spider web cracks then you do not need to do anything. A coat of wax maybe but they are only on the surface. I had a Northern lite with these and checked with fiberglass people and they said they are normal and to leave them, they never leaked!
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks