cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filling Batteries

gonervn501
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at the Flow-Rite Pro-Fill battery watering system for my Allegro. From what I have seen they seem to work well. Does anyone have thoughts on these?
26 REPLIES 26

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We installed ours ( flow rite) when we first bought our MH. Our battery tray doesn't slide out and the rear batteries ( 6 house) were almost impossible to service much less fill without making a complete mess.

This system has been a complete pleasure to use. It works as described. Takes me 5 minutes or less to service the batteries from standing outside the Battery bay.

The only problem we had on one extremely cold winter was the filler valve froze on one of the three making it inoperative. I ordered a few extra and replaced it with no problems.

When topping off in the late fall I now just push in on the valve releasing the pressure in the tube after filling. Solved the problem.

If you have problems getting to your batteries I would highly recommend this. Even if you have easy access to yours batteries it would make the top off task much faster and cleaner.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny G1 wrote:
It wasn't me not maintaining the caps, just stuff that I have seen when I was installing solar for awhile, mine are nice and shiny like the day I put them in, no crud or green battery tops and cables.
vents is vents. If charged properly shouldn't be sputtering
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
It wasn't me not maintaining the caps, just stuff that I have seen when I was installing solar for awhile, mine are nice and shiny like the day I put them in, no crud or green battery tops and cables.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny G1 wrote:
I have to take mine out manually as they are in a compartment under the slide but then I know that all connection are tight and the proper amount of filling is done, Have hydro caps so only take them out once a yr, and yes I have seen some great messes from those squeeze bottle filler's, wouldn't have them. An afternoon of checking everything and piece of mind when done. And the batteries are still in excellent shape after 10 yrs.
If you've seen "messes", then you haven't maintained the caps by allowing crud to clog the valves. They simply don't just leak.
Jeff - WA6EQU

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
I installed them on our first coach when they first came to market. One of the first things done when we purchased our current coach.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

Gottahaveit
LOL...Have that gimmicky gadget for our 6 house batteries. Next best thing since sliced bread :B
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
I have to take mine out manually as they are in a compartment under the slide but then I know that all connection are tight and the proper amount of filling is done, Have hydro caps so only take them out once a yr, and yes I have seen some great messes from those squeeze bottle filler's, wouldn't have them. An afternoon of checking everything and piece of mind when done. And the batteries are still in excellent shape after 10 yrs.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"jwmll"....If it works for you to move the slide in and out, slide out the tray and unscrew 12-18 caps and carefully fill each one, more power to you. The other 17 posters found it easier to use the ProFill.....you know, that gimmicky gadget!
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Its extravagant but only if you can easily pull the caps and manually fill the batteries and see the levels. My two rear batteries are impossible to see the level so the flow rite system is worth every penny for that application. For that it isn't extravagant, its a necessity.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
bluwtr49 wrote:

. . . . . . . The only small issue is the hand pump bulb has a check valve that occasional gives a problem.

Batteries stay clean, no mess, no corrosion, pretty much as advertised.

Never had a problem with the check valve. The squeeze bulb only needs a few squeezes to get the water flowing IF you hold the water source above the batteries gravity does the rest of the work.
I did on my last system. The caps and floats were flawless, but about 3 years in I started running into ball valve problems.
Jeff - WA6EQU

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
A lotta to do over nothing. Just another gimmick and expense. How hard is it, really to check the water level in a battery ? It takes so little time and allows you to check for other potential problems in the battery drawers (boxes) or whatever. Things like loose or broken wiring at the battery terminals, corrosion, etc.

Wow....this couldn't be more wrong! I've been using the ProFill system for over 7 years on two different motor homes. Even if your batteries are easy to get to and you can stand right over them and fill them, it's still a messy/nasty job. You have to unscrew each cap, fill each cell checking that you don't under fill or over fill. You ultimately will spill some water which adds to your acid issues and you have to make sure you don't touch any clothing and wash your hands thoroughly when done. The ProFill system doesn't blindly fill the batteries from ten feet away. You're still able to look over your battery bay while conveniently filling the batteries.

One of the biggest causes of battery failure is that people hate to fill their batteries, so they aren't as faithful about doing it.

Not only does the ProFill system take under five minutes from start to finish to water up your batteries perfectly, it also reduces acid build up because of the cap design.

The ProFill system is one of the best products you can buy for an RV. They're expensive, but WELL worth the money.

This was me. Taking off the propane cover, battery cover, and if I wanted a close look at the water level I had to remove a propane bottle. Yes I was lazy and I was having to replace batteries every year do to low water and plate corrosion. Since I put on a system, I walk out there, plug in the water bottle and give the hand pump a couple of squeezes, done. I am on my 4th year on same set now.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have a BWT battery watering system that has been great the past two years.
Nothing against flow-rite but get something as I wish I had done this much sooner.
In hindsight I see this as a safety issue that is resolved in addition to time saved and improved maintenance.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
A lotta to do over nothing. Just another gimmick and expense. How hard is it, really to check the water level in a battery ? It takes so little time and allows you to check for other potential problems in the battery drawers (boxes) or whatever. Things like loose or broken wiring at the battery terminals, corrosion, etc.

Wow....this couldn't be more wrong! I've been using the ProFill system for over 7 years on two different motor homes. Even if your batteries are easy to get to and you can stand right over them and fill them, it's still a messy/nasty job. You have to unscrew each cap, fill each cell checking that you don't under fill or over fill. You ultimately will spill some water which adds to your acid issues and you have to make sure you don't touch any clothing and wash your hands thoroughly when done. The ProFill system doesn't blindly fill the batteries from ten feet away. You're still able to look over your battery bay while conveniently filling the batteries.

One of the biggest causes of battery failure is that people hate to fill their batteries, so they aren't as faithful about doing it.

Not only does the ProFill system take under five minutes from start to finish to water up your batteries perfectly, it also reduces acid build up because of the cap design.

The ProFill system is one of the best products you can buy for an RV. They're expensive, but WELL worth the money.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
We've used the Pro-Fill system now for years and it works great and is easy to use, highly recommend it.
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad