cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally, the answer for how to remove those decals

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried to get those nasty looking deteriorated decals off my coach for some time now. I have tried Goo Gone and some other stuff that 3M makes. I have even tried silicone spray, WD40 and paint thinner. With those chemicals I was able to get about 1-2 inches of material off in about an hour. Nothing has worked. Tonight I used a rubber cooking spatula and heat gun to remove the top vinyl layer of a decal section. Once the top layer was removed exposing the adhesive backing I used Concentrated Heavy Duty Floor Stripper made by Rubbermaid. It comes in a one gallon jug that can be purchased from Home Depot or Lowes. Once you get all the decal adhesive removed, make sure to remove the excess floor stripper so that it does not eat your paint too. I did this by using Lysol kitchen cleaner. I took off about an 18 inch section in about 20 minutes thanks to the Floor Stripper.
Mark
7 REPLIES 7

charles
Explorer
Explorer
Napa used to sell a liquid decal remover. When I used it back in the mid 90's, I wet the decal and it wiped off with a terry cloth towel. It did not harm the paint. Don't know if they still make it.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

flylipsdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Always wondered why they put decals on the front of 5th whls.Everything beats em up pretty bad.Mine are shot after about 40,000 mi and 7 yrs.Thanks for the answer - 3M eraser wheel.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I simply bought a new coach....:B:B:B..but, your way is much more financially prudent.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. The maroon colored decals look terrible. All the other decals look great.
Mark

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Are we talking about a 2007 Damon?
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
After trying everything to remove decals on boats and my RV, I discovered the 3M Eraser Wheel. It is amazing how well and fast it works.

Sundance07
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for 3M eraser wheel.

Much easier way to remove decals and doesn't harm the finish. Many bodyshops and sign shops use this product.
2012 Ram 3500 4x4 CCLB/DRW Laramie, Cummins 6.7 HO, 68RFE, 4.10 Max Tow, Firestone Ride-Rite, 50 Gal Transfer Flow
2008 Citation Supreme Platinum XL 34.5 CKTS, GVW 15500, MorRyde, 4 wh disc brakes, -30C Polar Pkg