JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
182 REPLIES 182

GM-Jayco36REQS
Explorer
Explorer
rwenner wrote:
Fridge worked fine - - had the RECALL done today, Fridge doesn't work. Dealer wants to charge me for repairs.

Thanks Norcold

๐Ÿ˜ž

We had the recall work done on the Norcold in our Jayco Pinnacle... now the fridge doesn't want to cool. Freezer works fine, but the fridge was still 80 deg after 4 hrs on AC. The freezer was 27 deg... any thoughts???
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW/CC, 4x4, Duramax TD, Curt 20K, Trifecta Cover
2011 Jayco Pinnacle 36REQS, MOR/ryde pin

2003 SVT Cobra Convertible, 16 lbs boost, Magnaflow cat-back, K&N CAI, MGW Shifter, 18" Bullet Wheels, Toyo Proxies

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure you download the installation instructions. I would also recommend you use the caulking they provide for the cooling fins on the bottom of the foam insert. They tell you to use the foam provided but once you bolt the new coils to the back of the fridge you can't get the tube for the foam in to fill any spaces. If you put the caulking in the lower area, which is what Norcold originally did, then you will have a better seal. And make sure you use the aluminum tape to seal the unit. Just roll it out to the desired length, loosen one end so you can stick it down and then peel the paper off as you place it over the foam and the back of the fridge. It works really well. In order to get the fridge out of the opening I used a motorcycle jack. Wrapped the steel wheels with tape so it wouldn't hurt my flooring and then pulled the fridge into the center of the kitchen covered the top with an old rug and jacked it up agains the ceiling to hold it secure while I removed the blow Norcold coils and replaced them with the Amish unit. One man, done in about 2 hours.

And check the wiring in the control box. Mine had been switched and the cooling fans didn't work. Also, do not disconnect the cooling fans from the wiring harness. You disconnect the wires at the top of the coils and leave the fans connected in the center of the black wire.
'02 Southwind 37U towing '05 Chevy Colorado with Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy. 8100 GM/Workhorse Chassis. Retired UAW-GM.

Snowsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a how to video, in full HD, of my Norcold 1200, with a new Amish cooling unit from RV cooling unit warehouse. Any questions, e-mail me at
willie@fieldsbrothersconstruction.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x9quds5I6o
1999 Monaco Diplomat 38A
2007 Jeep Wrangler toad

2aroamin
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Norcold 1200LR that was not on the recall list. We had a major fire with it today beware of this unit. The fire was all outside , we did not know it was going on. We never had a problem with it but I kept checking the recall list. I really like this unit
Jerry
Jerry & Mary
2004 DSDP 4009 UTB1000
TOAD 2002 Saturn LW300

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
Snowsurfer, that is exactly what happened. The wires were switched so the fans did not come on. By the time I figured out what the problem was the temperature had reached the necessary temperature so the fans came on. They go off when the temperature drops. If I gave the impression that the fans ran all the time it wasn't my intention. But it was my intention to make sure that everyone looks at the wiring schematic when reinstalling the wires into the control box. If they don't they could burn up another cooling unit because the cooling fans will never come on.
'02 Southwind 37U towing '05 Chevy Colorado with Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy. 8100 GM/Workhorse Chassis. Retired UAW-GM.

Snowsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
@MrDoneIt65, the fans should not come on after switching the wires. The thermal switch is set to turn the fans on when the temp at the switch reaches 130 degrees. I just replaced my cooling unit on our Norcold 1200 with a Amish built from rvcoolingunit.com. The install was easy, and the fridge works better than ever. I shot video and still pics of the whole process. Will be posting the finished video here soon.

Willie
1999 Monaco Diplomat 38A
2007 Jeep Wrangler toad

rwenner
Explorer
Explorer
Fridge worked fine - - had the RECALL done today, Fridge doesn't work. Dealer wants to charge me for repairs.

Thanks Norcold

๐Ÿ˜ž

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I had mine done about a year ago and it is still working just fine. I would rather have the refrigerator shut down if something went wrong, then to have a fire and burn to death in the coach. It is a no brainer not to have it installed. All it is, is a safety device.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

PinkLeopard
Explorer
Explorer
loydt wrote:
Dealer has my warranty parts in. Im scared to have it done because Im afraid it will make my fridge stop working!!!!!

Ours just came in also & we feel the same way. We full-time & don't want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere without our fridge. I cannot believe there is not a class-action lawsuit forcing Norcold to replace the cooling units instead of the CYA fix!
Our Blog
Devi & Bill
on the adventure of our lives
"Man Plans & God Laughs"

2009 Chevy Silverado

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
Do not fear replacing the coils in your refrigerator. It is a darn sight cheaper than buying a new unit. Study the installation instructions, which you can download before hand, exam the structural integrity of your refrigerator to make sure you don't have broken parts or cracks that would reduce the life of the refrigerator anyway, and contact the provider to discuss your concerns.

There is no reason to put another refrigerator in a landfill simply because the cooling coils have gone bad. Refrigerators use to last years without a problem. America has become a throw away society. Cheap does not always equate with Quality, and neither does Expensive. Check it out, if you can replace the coils, step out and do it.

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank this forum for the advice about the Amish cooling unit. It wasn't hard to install and the refrigerator is working better than ever. No recall equipment necessary.

I did find one thing that I think everyone should check. My cooling fans weren't working when I hooked the refrigerator up again. I found that the white and black wires connected at the control box had been switched. I did not disconnect these wires from the control box in order to replace the coils. I did disconnect them at the condenser at the top of the refrigerator.

When I switched the wires to the proper terminals the cooling fans came on. The wiring diagram is very simple to down load for your specific unit. If I had not corrected this situation I would have had either a fire or another blown cooling unit. I don't know how it happened, I have no one to accuse for doing it, I know I did not do it. But better safe than sorry, check the cooling fan connections to make sure yours are working.

My refrigerator is working great, time to buy a fresh case of brew, pull out the awning, and listen to the birds sing. Ain't life grand?

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new cooling unit from the Amish. Do a google, Amish Cooling Unit for Norcold 1200LR and the website will pop up. Great people to deal with. And the instructions to replace the Norcold with the Amish coils are simple. Just make sure you read them all the way through. I didn't and now I am trying to find someone who has a picture of the wires exposed on the back of a Norcold. I disconnected the cooling fans, which I wasn't suppose to do, and now I have to figure out how to hook them back up. The wiring diagram doesn't show the pigtails used to connect both fans.

When the 2nd recall went bad in my Norcold it must have welded the quick connect to the sensor. I had to cut the wires to get the sensor out. Now I have to figure out which wire is which to hook up the 12volt. When Fleetwood built the motorhome they must have not used long enough wires and the ones coming out of the floor are yellow and green instead of black and white. Will figure that one out too and hard solder the new connections. Just another day in the life of a handyman RV owner. But I do feel stupid for not reading the instructions thoroughly.

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled the coils out of my refrigerator yesterday. Wasn't as bad a job as I though it would be. Going to replace them with the Amish coils. Thought about installing a residential refrigerator but my generator won't run on a consistent basis and I don't want the food to thaw to badly while I am driving. As usual, I will get it done.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I got a letter yesterday from Gulf Stream that I might have a 1200LRIM refrigerator that might be on the recall list. I called Norcold and I told them that I had a recall done around December of last year. They asked me if the wires to the sensor had a yellow tag. I went out and checked and it did, so they said that mine was done already and that she would update her computer.
I have had two recalls, one was for a thermo blanket wrap and the second was for the heat sensor. My refrigerator is still working just fine. So don't be scared that your refrigerator will quit working. And if does, it is best to find out rather then for your coach to go up in flames.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
On Friday we dropped our MH at the dealer for the new "High Temperature Sensor" recall. Hopefully the part is readily available as we want to head out again quite soon.

edit: Dealer called and left a msg our MH is done. :B

We plan to head out again next week. Somewhere warmer
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015