JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
182 REPLIES 182

rvrepairnut
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
It is hard to believe that the coil would blow up because of a sensor attached to the pipe, unless the clamp they installed crimped the pipe causing a weak spot. I have had all the recalls and my 1200 LRIM is still working really good for the last nine years. But if it does fail one of these days I will probably look into installing the Amish coil.

But thats the installer that caused that problem not the recall

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
It is hard to believe that the coil would blow up because of a sensor attached to the pipe, unless the clamp they installed crimped the pipe causing a weak spot. I have had all the recalls and my 1200 LRIM is still working really good for the last nine years. But if it does fail one of these days I will probably look into installing the Amish coil.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, and the coils blew in the flu area, exactly where the recall sensor had been installed. I removed the entire contraption and sent it back to Norcold at my expense. A lady called me from Norcold and said they were looking into some type of compensation for what happened. I thanked her for her concern and that was the last I heard from Norcold. My refrigerator is fixed, no thanks to Norcold.
'02 Southwind 37U towing '05 Chevy Colorado with Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy. 8100 GM/Workhorse Chassis. Retired UAW-GM.

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
Let me repeat this again. My refrigerator was working just fine before they started the recalls. The first one lasted about a week and the reset button wouldn't work. So then they did the second recall which didn't last 4 hours and the red light came on. No reset. When they came to check it out, my coils were blown. FACT! So the recall didn't FIX the problem, it removed them from any liability by shutting down the refrigerator when it overheated. I don't know if the refrigerator overheated, the coils blew out, and then the red light came on or not. I wasn't watching it when the coils blew, and neither were you. But it removed Norcold of any liability on a refrigerator that was working just fine before they came up with thier jerry rigging "fix" that didn't fix anything. Enough said! And I have repaired this motorhome from the rear bumper to the front so I know how to work on the thing.
'02 Southwind 37U towing '05 Chevy Colorado with Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy. 8100 GM/Workhorse Chassis. Retired UAW-GM.

rvrepairnut
Explorer
Explorer
MrDoneIt65 wrote:
My refrigerator was working fine. No problems for years. Then they decided that a recall was necessary. The first recall lasted a week and the button wouldn't reset. The second recall lasted 4 hours and when the technician checked it the coils were blown. Thanks to RV Net I found out about the Amish coils. When I put the new coils in the refrigerator the cooling fans did not come on. So I, having worked on this rig from front to back, got out the wiring diagram. Surprise, surprise, the black wire and the white wire had been switched on the control box. Wonder how that happened. If I hadn't read those instructions and found that switching of the wires then my new Amish coils would have blown out too. Where did I get this idea? I got it from doing the work myself to replace the coils. Fact! The original coils on a refrigerator that was working just fine before the recalls were blown. You doctor it, I don't.

I repeat!! The recall has NOTHING to do with your coil failure

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
My refrigerator was working fine. No problems for years. Then they decided that a recall was necessary. The first recall lasted a week and the button wouldn't reset. The second recall lasted 4 hours and when the technician checked it the coils were blown. Thanks to RV Net I found out about the Amish coils. When I put the new coils in the refrigerator the cooling fans did not come on. So I, having worked on this rig from front to back, got out the wiring diagram. Surprise, surprise, the black wire and the white wire had been switched on the control box. Wonder how that happened. If I hadn't read those instructions and found that switching of the wires then my new Amish coils would have blown out too. Where did I get this idea? I got it from doing the work myself to replace the coils. Fact! The original coils on a refrigerator that was working just fine before the recalls were blown. You doctor it, I don't.

rvrepairnut
Explorer
Explorer
MrDoneIt65 wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't mess with the stupid recall. I went through the procedure and they blew the coils out of my unit. I took the recall package off my refrigerator and sent it back to Norcold. A lady called me and said they were going to look into some compensation for what happened. That was the last I heard from them.

Thanks to RV.net and these postings, I found out about the Amish replacement coils. Cost me $1,075.00 for the coils, used a motorcycle jack to get the refrigerator out, 4 bolts, some wiring, and unit works perfectly even though I have to set it at a lower number. But that was better than buying a new refrigerator. And it ain't gonna burn my motorhome while I am in it.

The recall did Not "blow the coils" No way No how.The recall is the simple installation of power shut down switch when its sences too much heat in the flue.where you people dream up these things is beyound my imagination.I beleive your coils may have failed as some have but i bet it was a older well used unit(2002-2004)

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I wouldn't mess with the stupid recall. I went through the procedure and they blew the coils out of my unit. I took the recall package off my refrigerator and sent it back to Norcold. A lady called me and said they were going to look into some compensation for what happened. That was the last I heard from them.

Thanks to RV.net and these postings, I found out about the Amish replacement coils. Cost me $1,075.00 for the coils, used a motorcycle jack to get the refrigerator out, 4 bolts, some wiring, and unit works perfectly even though I have to set it at a lower number. But that was better than buying a new refrigerator. And it ain't gonna burn my motorhome while I am in it.

rvrepairnut
Explorer
Explorer
what would be really nice to know is these simple fact,s
1) # of 1200-1210 units made
2) # of 1200-1210 units failed
3) # of 1200-1210 units that caused a fire

hottubkid
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note. I ended up putting two squirrel cage fans behind the refer. It is cooling lots better in fact I had to turn the numbers down two numbers. I ammed the output of the fans up and a total of 60 cfm. Sure works well for me
hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

toughnut
Explorer
Explorer
trickyvic3 wrote:
We got the upgrade done a few months ago, but now notice that it dosen't seem
to get as cold.
Has anyone else noticed this?

The upgrade has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING ON COOLING.Its not a upgrade anyhow its a hi-temp shut off system

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
trickyvic3...your refrigerator isn't working. The Chinese sensor is bad, the refrigerator is shut down. It can't be reset, it needs to be replaced. Pray it isn't the coils blown. Mine were. If your refrigerator is out of warranty Norcold has no liability. If the coils are bad don't throw the refrigerator away and buy a new one, buy new coils. The Amish coils are heavier and no recall needed. Mine work better than new.

trickyvic3
Explorer
Explorer
I also now see a little red light glowing on a little black box behind
the access door.

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
Ain't an upgrade. It is a recall to stop the refrigerator from getting so hot it catches on fire. The so called upgrade blew out my coils. Can't call it an upgrade, it is a measure to prevent fires. Period.

Of course, since the refrigerator doesn't get so hot, maybe it ain't cooling as good.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
The last recall from Norcold does not have anything to do as to how good your refrigerator cools. All it is is a heat sensor that will turn your refrigerator off if the pipes get too hot to prevent a fire.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision