cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fisher Paykel: any good?

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, my coach has a leaking kitchenaid dishwasher. No worries, I have an extended warranty so I took the coach in to Orlando RV. Without consulting me, however, they ordered a Fisher Paykel DD24SDFX7.

I'll admit I'm frustrated the unit was ordered and delivered without anyone talking to me. But, I can set this aside (though it's yet another example of lack of communication and coordination at that dealership.) I'm being assured, by the service manager, that the model is great and quiet. But, the only review of it I found said the following it does not clean well.

Here's the review:
"Easy to operate and very quiet when running, BUT Does not clean the dishes and they are wet, not damp when the cycle is done. You have to wash the dishes befor loading into the dishwasher or they WILL NOT be clean."

I'm wondering if Fisher Paykel is any good and if anyone has that particular model?
2009 Fleetwood Excursion 40x DP
Photographer: www.certainpointofview.com
26 REPLIES 26

journey15
Explorer
Explorer
sprintmod1 wrote:
elwood58 wrote:
Some seem to think that constantly power cycling the Fisher Pakel is hard on it's circuit boards. There should be a setting that has it off until turns on. This may extend the life of the unit.

Very interesting comment!! We bought a used coach in July with the Fisher Paykel dishwasher in it. Did not work, only problem with this coach, when we bought it. Had a new board put in it and a month later, that board is blown out also. Warranty says they won't touch it again. And I've got five years on the extended warranty, and they are done with it. Wife now uses it for storage of her K-cups.......expensive storage cabinet.

Just curious as to which inverter you have in your coach? We had multiple issues with our F/P and when we had our Xantrex inverter replaced with the Magnum we have not had one issue since. We have been wondering if that is the issue. It runs like a champ!
We replaced the main control board ourselves because our unit is way out of warranty and also the soap dispenser as we discovered the Rinse-Aid dispenser was cracked and leaking. I hope I haven't jinxed us!
Full Timing June 2015
07 Allegro Bus 40QSP
08 Honda CRV EXL with Blue OX and US Gear Braking System
FMCA #381833

n4gnn n4hon
I Never Look Back, I'm Not Going That Way!

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Fisher Paykel and it is awesome! I was amazed how extremely quiet it is (I mean you can barely hear anything - we watch TV in the same room and forget it is on). I cleans wonderful. We use the tablet type soap. Every once in a while we bounce the lower spray arm out of its holder when traveling (we have a 5er) and we get an alarm at startup. Just have to set it back in and everything is fine. It is very easy on the holding tank too - very little water use.

Short cycle - I use that for winterizing. I don't think it has much use beyond that.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

wildviking
Explorer
Explorer
The kitchenaid dish drawers are made by Fisher Paykel the parts list is mostly interchangeable

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
When with Boeing, I was involved with a number of VIP conversions, including a 747-400. Every one used Fisher and Paykel kitchen appliances. If a customer chooses them for a $350 million airplane, they must be good. Most of the dishwashers we installed were the individual drawer type.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
We have the FisherPakel in our coach. You would have to turn everything off and sit very still to hear it running. The cycle takes 105 minutes to run and cleans well. Two things you need to know. The door will not open unless you press the first button, which means you have to have power to the coach. I've seen people try to force them open. Secondly, the door seals very tight. After use, we leave the door slightly ajar to make sure it's completely dry.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

sprintmod1
Explorer
Explorer
jorbill2or wrote:
sprintmod1 wrote:
elwood58 wrote:
Some seem to think that constantly power cycling the Fisher Pakel is hard on it's circuit boards. There should be a setting that has it off until turns on. This may extend the life of the unit.

Very interesting comment!! We bought a used coach in July with the Fisher Paykel dishwasher in it. Did not work, only problem with this coach, when we bought it. Had a new board put in it and a month later, that board is blown out also. Warranty says they won't touch it again. And I've got five years on the extended warranty, and they are done with it. Wife now uses it for storage of her K-cups.......expensive storage cabinet.

How can they be done? If it was included in the warranty they Have to fix it or replace the whole thing. Heck the part itself should have a 30 day warranty. never heard a of a warranty( repair contract) that only does one repair and walks. You must be talking about a dealer in house warranty? WOW

I am the second owner. First owner had many problems with it and it was replaced once already. Seems the first owners extended warranty and my extended warranty is by the SAME company!

We didn't want or need a dishwasher, it was already in the coach, would it be nice if it worked, yes it would, but we don't use it and wife uses it for storage. I have been told its an expensive storage cabinet. Somewhere down the road, maybe a different underwriter, I will push the issue to get it fixed, again.
2010 American Coach Revolution 42w; carrying 2014 HD Electra Glide Limited and towing 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD.
Dirt's for racing and asphalt for getting there.
410 Sprint Car's rule!

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what an "exo extremist" is either. :h

MeanderMan
Explorer
Explorer
Eight years of constant use as full timers - only problem has been the "flood" alarm when the drain hose kinks since ours is in the slidout. Great product, and I'd recommend it. But not to an "exo extremist", whatever that is.
Happily Fulltiming Somewhere
2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
2013 Honda CRV
Our RV Blog

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Most of the newest are in the same boat due to energy efficiency requirements.
Undoubtedly this comment comes from a person that replaced a 10+ year old dishwasher that used way more energy.

I have rentals and replace one about every year someplace and this is how it is going. Same with top line Samsung, Kitchenaid and Kenmore that I have.

Similar complaints with new clothes washers with automatic water level.
That's a fact. And I think clothes washers are the worst of all the "modern appliances".

We can thank "BIG BROTHER" and the Eco extremists for all this being forced on us. :M

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
bullydogs1 wrote:
I have a fisher paykel drawer dishwasher and we have no issues with it..It cleans well but sometimes if you use the fast setting that's the results you get..If we use the normal setting, then they come out nice and clean (we use it due to the dog dishes etc)...it is quiet but if you use the eco/fast setting that's the killer..run for normal setting which is 115 minutes and you should be fine..note that you have to use liquid dishwasher detergent as that's all that fits in the soap dispenser.

Hi Stuart and Stella! We have had the same experience with the fast cycle....we need to try the normal setting. On the fast cycle, we are getting spots and wet dishes.

Our previous motorhome has the same dishwasher and I don't recall it having issues on the short cycle.

Next time, the normal cycle!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
I was an appliance dealer for 15 years before retiring and I would not have a Fisher and Paykel dishwasher. The Kitchenaid unit is much better designed and backed up by Kitchenaid. I quit selling the Fisher Paykel units because I could not find a servicer and they would not back up their warranty. Hold out for a Kitchenaid unit.

Kitchen aid not much better it was a collaboration between Fisher Paykel and KA. A lot of servicers don't get the training on them and don't understand them. That was F&P fault as far as I am concerned. They are very similar. I would take the KA over F&P just easier to get parts. By the way F&P is a Australian based company and has a head quarters in Huntington Beach, CA. or did been out of the repair business for 5 years.

A lot of problems with F&P was improper installation.
1997 Pursuit class A

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
elhajj33 wrote:
Here's the review:
"Easy to operate and very quiet when running, BUT Does not clean the dishes and they are wet, not damp when the cycle is done. You have to wash the dishes befor loading into the dishwasher or they WILL NOT be clean."

I'm wondering if Fisher Paykel is any good and if anyone has that particular model?
Most of the newest are in the same boat due to energy efficiency requirements.
Undoubtedly this comment comes from a person that replaced a 10+ year old dishwasher that used way more energy.

I have rentals and replace one about every year someplace and this is how it is going. Same with top line Samsung, Kitchenaid and Kenmore that I have.

Similar complaints with new clothes washers with automatic water level.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
sprintmod1 wrote:
elwood58 wrote:

How can they be done? If it was included in the warranty they Have to fix it or replace the whole thing. Heck the part itself should have a 30 day warranty. never heard a of a warranty( repair contract) that only does one repair and walks. You must be talking about a dealer in house warranty? WOW
Bill

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about Fisher Paykel appliances for RVs, but we are well pleased with our ten year old Fisher Paykel clothes dryer in our sticks and brick house.