cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fleetwood Discovery mud flap

scot-to-rv
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to buy a mud flap for the back of our 2008 40x. We plan to go to Duraflap but I am wondering if anyone has one what size do you have? Also do you recommend this purchase?
12 REPLIES 12

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoy all the reasons everyone gives for removing the full mud flap. We've never had any of the problems mentioned here with ours or toad damage. But I can tell you they are absolutely a good idea for having them.

We drove over a wood post 4x4 x around 20" two years ago on the freeway doing 60. The passenger front wheel hit it first " hard" it flew back into the passenger side rear wheels which blasted it into the engine bay. It hit the mud flap first before going through the radiator and more, and probably through the rear into the toad.

It was loud, and violent. It took out the corner of that full mud flap sending the wood out the side and clear of everything. I still have that mud flap hanging there.

I will never be without a full mud flap. Without a doubt it saved us extensive repairs to the MH and toad

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
doc brown wrote:
I like the rear flap as well, and I use Protect a Tow. The mud flap block a piece of metal that was dropped from a truck in front of me which I saw but could not avoid. Without the flap the metal would have surely hit the toad. The piece was so significant it detached one third of the flap and bent the support holding it.

Curious. How did a piece of material as significant as you describe still not hit the toad after it bashed by the mudflap? Where did it go after hitting the mudflap? Was it deflected to the side?

Just trying to get the full picture here as I determine whether or not to remove my full width mudflap, based upon this and other info posted here in this thread.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
I like the rear flap as well, and I use Protect a Tow. The mud flap block a piece of metal that was dropped from a truck in front of me which I saw but could not avoid. Without the flap the metal would have surely hit the toad. The piece was so significant it detached one third of the flap and bent the support holding it.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Completely agree with some of the others. Get the flap for the wheels, the rear type are a mess on toads and also "whoosh" back dust on the engine.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I had a full mud flap on my Discovery and in my opinion it did nothing and was constant problems. I removed it and noticed the wheel flaps only covered the outside dual allowing water a debris to to slung on the jacks and everything else. I put extensions on the wheel flap to cover up the inside dual. In my opinion this has helped a lot more than the rear flap I used to have.;)

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Lancslad wrote:
After last summers trip to Alaska, my recommendation is not to fit a mudflap. Just about every toad with a busted windshield was towed by a mud flap equipped rig.

So very very true!!!!@

Mud flaps kick up rocks and chip the vehicle your towing!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We saw folks removing their full 'mud' flaps on our Alaska trip and saw a layer of rock at the base of their windshields. We didn't have one - only the tire flaps and we received no damage.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Before I got into full time RV'ing back in '04, I use to follow class A rigs at freeway speeds up in Portland Oregon to try to get a feel of whether or not I could handle driving one. Being behind those rigs in the rain was an expirience. If they had full side to side mud flaps, huge, drenching splashes of water would hit my car's windshield on a regular basis. If they had the broom type, millions of water droplets slightly larger than raindrops would hit the windshield nearly constantly. Finally, if the rigs only had the mud flaps behind the rear wheels, it was like I was in a normal rain.

On those rare occasions where there was gravel kicked up by a RV I would be following, the least amount of pelting was behind the RVs without the full side to side mud flaps.

Now that I have a Class A with the simple style mud flaps behind the dualies, and a toad, all I did for my toad to protect it was put clear rock guards on the toad's headlights. Similar to those plastic phone screen protectors, only slightly thicker and larger. So far, so good over 3,000 miles. If the used rig I bought had had one of those full solid or broom type mud flaps, I would have removed it.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Rear flaps just churn the dust and dirt up into the engine compartment, twice as bad if you have a rear radiator. Get wheel mud flaps.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Lancslad
Explorer
Explorer
After last summers trip to Alaska, my recommendation is not to fit a mudflap. Just about every toad with a busted windshield was towed by a mud flap equipped rig.
2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 full width mud flaps for sale. Both in Sherman TX. One says Discovery. Send Private message pleas.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I like running a mud flap. I like the protection it provides, especially if you can't avoid a road gator.

DuraFlap makes probably the best quality flap on the market. Many coach manufacturers are using plastic for their flaps. The plastic just doesn't hang right, fly right or work as well.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab